It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a nurse anything.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Ran and then the word devious. You got it stud. Hey I think it is so sad that there are people who don't have the common courtesy of a horses ass. Pathetic with a proper lip for the P so to say and not to spray. Thank you for a brilliant thread and timely response.

SnF
edit on 12-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Binder
reply to post by longjohnbritches

I have not read "The Golden Stethoscope." Could you give me synopsis? Perhaps I should read it. I'm always up for a good book!

A quickie " There are more Lawyers in jail than doctors"
Please if you can't find it I will help you. I have never googled it.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

At least a horses ass has a tail between the business port, and my face!
Keep checking back, and don't hold back on the questions. I've seen more in 12 years than most will in their lifetime. Hard questions are interesting questions, and the ones whos answers usually matter most.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Sorry It is the Solid Gold Stethoscope, by Edgar Berman

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I'll look it up, sounds interesting.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Sad how nurses can't give "medical advice". I can - and a whole lot better than Doctors from what I've seen going on with over-drugging like a "Dr Pusher" tried to do to me for having my BG at 417 and BP at 200/150. Obviously I was angry to get the BP that high. Thank God my wife was with me to avoid greater BS from going on. Anyway, that was over 4 years ago. Since then I've reversed the Type 2, hypertension, and reduced over 70lbs and kept it off.

It wasn't very hard, just a "keep at it" process of 90% psychology about food choices. 3 months based on Burnstein's book with a lot of modification reversed the Type 2 (it ended up similar to the McCulley DTD but was more testing oriented than his work). 3 more months loosing weigth via "Calories Awareness" dropped the 70 lbs and to my surprise my BP went from High to Low-medium in the process. I never took any of the drugs and I got death-threat letters for that.

With 1/2 the USA "on something", mostly OPIUM - and friends and family who have died or are dying on OPIUM prescriptions - my impression is that the most DANGEROUS thing a person can do is go to a Doctor's office and blindly do what theyre toold. Take these pills and come back next month.

Edit+ vidoe:

edit on 3/12/2012 by reitze because: +video

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

I really, really, agree with you. Polypharmacy, and overprescription is a HUGE problem, one that is mostly overlooked. The problem however is more complex than it looks on the surface. You also have to realize there are a lot of people without the gumption, and personal awareness, and sense of responsibility you have. You fixed yourself!!! BIG cudos for that.

Unfortunately, most people do not think like you. They want the magic pill that just makes it all go away for today. They think of medical professionals more like wizards, and practitioners of the occult arts. So, being a business this is what modern medicine has kind of molded itself into. "Come get your instant fix!" They want "Poof" your fixed with no effort on your own part, and most importantly, no waiting. Good health as you know comes from a long time making good choices. If you were my patient I would be mega, UBER, proud of you.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Thanks. And thanks for helping people at risk of your career (I do have that impression). I have family with nursing roles who don't do as well - and believe more of the lies. Its made for many heated and/or quickly ended conversations.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by reitze

Oh, I'm not risking my career on this thread. I said in the beginning this is all my OPINION, and should not be construed as anything but.

That said, I risk career aplenty on the job. If advocating for my patient get me fired, so be it. I have stood in administration's face, and said "I'll be your huckleberry." more than once. At times they want to fire me, but they can't. Most the time I'm right, and they know it. I'm the guy that makes hospital accountants, and pencil pushers squirm, and I love it! If it costs me my career, I'll find a new one and push the envelope there too! I am passionate about doing the right thing even when it is not popular. My saving grace is that I am DAMN good at my job, and they know it. My replacement will be a long time coming.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Binder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I was among the best where I worked. But they didn't care. It seemed they just wanted to milk the customers without making the products any better than they had to. My first whack upside the head with that was actually 25 years ago when I PROVED it was appropriate to remove 200 parts from the A-10 LASTE computer (an airborne flight control computer on that a/c). I was given an award and then re-assigned. Later I learned that the change I identified (just not soldering in the parts) was not doen because the customer wasn't going to pay for the "design change" and they got a markup-profit on the production costs so it made them more money to keep the parts in (which burned power costing fuel, weight, etc).

Later I found out they couldn't pass the sell-off test because the BIT wrap cable didn't have enough power to drive all the discrete s. I made it known far and wide that their solution was to implement my prior design-change and remove the parts. It work. I was laid off from that job too. All 3 times laid off for being too good at my job - going the extra mile while the incompetents were loved for wearing that dollar bill over their mouths.

Edit +: That means IMHO you're risking your job offering others advice that may reduce their drug consumption and thus you're employer's profits. Good luck with that - cause it just might save someone's life if it hasn't already. God Bless you!
edit on 3/13/2012 by reitze because: + txt

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Two quick questions.First,i seem to get cellulitis really easy.I've been hospitalized several times due to it.Any tips on reducing my chances of getting it again? Next,i've smoked 10 years now.I'm ready to quit this nasty habit.Is there anything i can take(a shot,otc meds,vitamin) to beat the odds,or am i going to have to the patch/gum route? Thanks

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TransplantedArkansan

I can help u with the cigs. Start by APPRECIATING tobacco for the gift from God that it truly is. Rather than getting "light" cigarettes with filters, go the other way! I did 15 years ago when a friend bummed a cig and ripped the filter off.

She said "if I'm gonna smoke I want the BEST!". I did the same thing with her and didn't want another cig for a couple hours, instead of that party-night's normal chain-smokeing. And with really good cigs, at first I didn't want one as often. Then I procrastinated when to have one and found myself not having one till I got to work, or home from work, or tomorrow, or next week, or ... well that was 15 years ago.

I've averaged about 3 or 4 packs / year since 1996. I don't try to keep a pack long enough to finish them cause they'd get stale. So after 3 or 4 cigs on a weekend I give them away to a smoker and tell the same story.

My favorite are Camel Non filter. Also, I help keep them safe and LEGAL!
edit on 3/13/2012 by reitze because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Yeah,i really only smoked whenever i went to clubs.Then it became more than just that.I go through a pack per day.However,i don't smoke as much if i'm busy doing something.I really think i can quit if i change my habits.I smoke when i have my coffee in the morning,or after eating.Also,i'm manic depressive and have drastic mood swings.I guess that doesnt help.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

You sound a lot like me, although I am not depressed. I'm usually stuck in a sub-manic state
I have ADHD, I control it with a lot of self discipline, and a little bit of medication. I take Strattera which is a non-stimulant on days that I have a lot to do, or I "feel" symptoms, but I don't take it all the time. That's the nice thing about non-stimulants you can come, and go as you please with them as it were. The not smoking as much when you are busy is a clue to me. I'm not trying to say you have ADHD, but it might bear looking at. All addiction, and complusive behavior has its base in the dopamine cycle. Nicotein makes more dopamine basically on a very simplified level. It could be a lot of things. People with ADHD, and compulsivity, depression etc... usually have a dopamine imbalance. Smoking is a form of self medication. Along with most other forms of substance abuse.

even if you just trade smoking for something less harmful, like ecigs, or gum, and patches you will be better off. Also find more things that engage you, and make you happy, and do them. You'll find that you smoke less just because of the psychological satisfaction of engaging in something enjoyable, and replace that nicotein supply of dopamine with the good old naturally acquired stuff.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

...ADHD, I control it with a lot of self discipline, and a little bit of medication.... The not smoking as much when you are busy is a clue to me. I'm not trying to say you have ADHD, but it might bear looking at. All addiction, and complusive behavior has its base in the dopamine cycle. Nicotein makes more dopamine basically on a very simplified level.... People with ADHD, and compulsivity, depression etc... usually have a dopamine imbalance. Smoking is a form of self medication. Along with most other forms of substance abuse.
...Also find more things that engage you, and make you happy, and do them. You'll find that you smoke less just because of the psychological satisfaction of engaging in something enjoyable, and replace that nicotein supply of dopamine with the good old naturally acquired stuff.

Andi-drug-rant re ADHD etc:

Translation: 95% of ADHD is bunk designed to sell deadly drugs without recognizing the individual needs for exercise and stimulation. And here a nurse saying ADHD might be relevant to smoking habbit and ADHD drugging " might bear looking at."... watch your "A-baby"! That was the sugar-coated version from a nurse whos willing enough to remove the $ from her mouth to post here, but she's still got some of the standard education (indoctrination).

Kids get that done to them the worst with the least ability to push back with common sense. Especially if their parents aren't inclined to oppose school/Dr pushers. The system is quiet biased to push the drugs too. Telling kids to sit still for 8 hours/day and then drugging the ones who act out is in my mind quite CRIMINAL - but sooo many do it.

When I was in K-4 I was board stiff, and didn't understand the social dynamics. My teachers didn't see me that way and had my parents get me a hearing test because I "wasn't listening". After a 4th test dad said WTF son? I said I was board cause the teacher wasn't teaching anything. He asked if I tried answering when she called on me and I said I did but after 1 or 2 right answers she would just call on someone else - and they all got the answers wrong.

Dad said hmmmmm and started coaching me how to "go along to get along". That meant being smarter than the teacher so forget about getting As, the best grades were Bs because it would help "fit in". He also suggested in-my-seat leg exercises instead of just letting my leg shake or anything visible. The few times I went for the As I saw 1st hand the other side of teachers too (envy the smart kid, try to make him comply with homework). I never did any homework all the way through an MSEE in engineering. That pissed off my HS honors teach the most, an after that I did the hand-in assignments that affected grades while missing more test questions on the tests (on purpose).

My honor math teacher actually cheated my grade and got caught doing it. The principle fixed part of it but 3 years later the SOB had my sister and kept her after school every day and she cried every night. There really is an aspect called "envy" and the "Aspies" and "hyper" kids have good aspects that can be held up as though they're symptoms of a condition they don't have.

In college I Signals 1 class I had the best average going into the final - and aced the final but got an F. When i saw the teacher and went over the test he was content to find tiny errors and grade-down while he gave the rest of the class passing grades. So once again I got grade-cheated. It happens. My Dad's advice worked the rest of the time, there were enough confirming experiences to prove it.

The drug-first for ADHD affecting 10% of the kids these days would surly have been difficult to oppose if the school environment were like it is these dayz. Parents, please don't let that happen to your children! And don't buy into dopamine/balance psycho-bull suggesting drugs in adulthood when all ya need is a little self-discipline to change foods and do things like REDUCING a smoking habit back down to an occasional smoking treat. Don't forget 1/2 the USA is "on something" and the most popular is OPIUM based medications - including the ADHD and behavior realms. I've had close friends die from OPIUM both legal/illegal and its not pretty seeing someone's "chemical romance" kill them.

If you don't think the go-along to get along advice is necessary for your kids - then go lookup youtube about "full brain education" for "3rd grade". OMG that's horrible how the education system has become an indoctrination system (IMHO).

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

"Are there any key questions I should ask as a patient and a visitor."

That was excellent Binder. Anyone going to a hospital should read that! (1st page of this thread).

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
reply to post by Nursejr

Yes, you have insurance, I know. But remember, THEY are the ones paying most of your bill. So, the insurance company gets the bigger say in what happens to you.

Now THAT is totally unethical in my books. If we pay $418 a WEEK in insurance deduction AND have an $8,000 a year deductible ... and you imply that insurance pays the bill? Then who paid the insurance $418 a week eh? Santa Claus?
...Let's see who Mr. Binder says should get the "bigger say" in what happens to us.

I liked Mr Binder's comment "there are big and little conspiracies". Here's an example on insurance. MOTORCYCLE HELMETS. Its counter-intuitive but I actually have done research and found mortality rates increase whenever states pass helmet laws. The data shows a 15% increase in accidents and a 17% increase in mortalities. That's mostly the neck injuries caused by helmet weight, and added accidents from hearing/vision/weight of the hemets. Anyway, the media noise machine lobbies 100% to sell helmets and bully the public into thinking anyone who dissagrees with that is CRAZY. The result? Higher accident rate, HIGHER INSURANCE COST, passed along to motorcylists while also hurting the sport. The motorcyclist has to pay all the added costs and their insurance isn't helping them as much as USING them.

Similarly, consider my Type 2 Diabetes reversal story. 4 years ago the public info was "there's no cure" and "you'll die if you don't take these drugs". I'm quite unusual for being strong-minded enough to try my own self-remody without buying into sooo much public information and bias of "you're crazy" if you don't agree and "you're not the expert", etc.

As a really good systems engineer I've actually done better than the Dr advice and I believe my success story encourages others to cut through the sales-forces-lies. They're just little lies. Lots of anectdotes like "he might have lived if he had a helmet on" while you don't hear too many "he might have lived if he weren't wearing a helmet". I do believe the facial injuries that Ben Roethlisberger's MC accident (facial impact injury) would have been deadly had he been wering a helmet and had his face smashed even harder into that car.

Insurance isn't "there for you" as much as its "there for your money". The rules and "standard procedures" and "standard perscriptions" and admonishments against trying your herbs and things like that are way out of control.

Like consider how many get OPIUM when the best advice would be to "smoke a joint".

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thanks,Binder.I'm going to beat this nasty habit.I was prescribed for my depression Venlafaxine(150mg),but haven't taken it in several months as i can't afford it.My 3yr old was recently thought to be ADHD as well.Hes very energetic ,has a short attention span.He can be a handful at times.It doesn't make things easier considering i have two other sons.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

Well I just got back from the DRUG store buying cigs. (1st time in 3 months, about my average for the last 15 years).

How telling that they didn't have any "non-filters". So I bought Bugler's and have to roll them myself. I still don't think there as good as Camel non-filters. But I do like how it looks like a joint. Maybe I can find a good place to smoke it ;0

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by reitze

Hey Reitze, I don't think we disagree as much as you think. Also, I'm a he,
. I don't advoctae medicating ADHD to death. 90% of ADHD control is self control, and realizing how your mind works, and why you are the way you are. I do not even consider ADHD to be a metal problem/illness/disability/whatever. There is a lot of underpublished research that seems to point to ADHD being "normal" and that the sluggish, easily occupied mind is the new variant produced by our overstimulating society.

An ADHD mind is one that runs like a Ferrari. A Ferrari someone forgot to install the brakes on. Once you learn to put the brakes on the Ferrari there is no reason the gas pedal doesn't still work! I was told by a counselor once that my intelligence was "just a coping mechanism for my ADHD debility." That was some of the most circular non-sensical reasoning I had ever heard in my life. I said nice try but that # won't fly. Of course intelligence is a coping mechanism!!! OMG it's how we cope with the challenges of staying alive on this planet for crap's sake.

The med I take is not a stimulant. It has only been around about a year, and I did a lot of research on it before taking it. I also mentioned I only take it as I feel I need it. It helps put a little more feel in that mental brake pedal. It is a selectve dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Nicotein, caffein, meth, and other stimulants make more available dopamine in the lymbic system of the brain. That stuff makes us feel good(reward center). People with ADHD typically have lower levels, than "normal"(I use that term loosely). That's why a lot of ADHD people smoke, and drink coffee like a maniac.

Were we to all still live in the paleolithic era, ADHD would be quite the advantage actually. The strange dichotomy of ADHD is that while we struggle in calm, quiet, non-stimulating environments, we thrive in chaos, and mayhem. ADHD people are usually cool under fire. That's becuase it is our brains natural state. We get that big slug of dopamine from the adrenegic stimulation, and for once we feel "normal". Why do you think I practice critical care medicine? I'm an adrenaline junkie to the max. I can execute 3 procedures simultaneously before my co-workers can remember the first thing to do. Unfortunately hospitals aren't like on TV. There is a whole lotta nuthin' that happens before anything happens. You have to be balanced. I learned the behavioral changes, and self control long before I ever took a medication. I think anyone diagnosed with ADHD should try all the cognitive strategies first, and only after good control is achieved, see if a medication helps with the work load of keeping all that processing speed at bay.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join