It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Asthma Become a Thing of the Past?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Some good good news out of the University of Alberta. It seems that a major relief for asthma sufferers maybe on the horizon. Although more testing is required, results are looking hopeful.

Source

Dr. Bernard Thébaud said his research team at the U of A found that stem cells and their byproducts can help heal lungs of people with severe asthma and other lung disease.

When researchers gave the stem cell byproduct juice to mice through their noses, the airways became less inflamed.

Potentially, the stem-cell juice can be put into “super” inhalers, reducing asthma patient’s reliance on drugs.

The two-and-a-half years of research is published in the American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology with funding from Alberta Innovates Health Solutions.

Any new of this sort is welcome when it comes to myself (as well as millions of others) as I have suffered from asthma since I was four. Well at least that is the age when I was diagnosed. Rhonda Schwenk's daughter, who is a part of this research, was diagnosed at the age of two.

Like her, it is, I found/find it (for whatever reason) embarrassing to have asthma because it separates one from the "normal" everyday person. I don't want those around me to know I have it.

Interestingly, before this news was locally announced today, I found a similar story that ties pneumonia to asthma (read link).

When I googled "cure for asthma" a few months ago I found what was, to say the least, an interesting story of an individual who suspected a connection to asthma and bacteria (or more precisely Chlamydia pneumoniae) . This person actually claims a cure, however, there has been evidence of relapses.

Jim Quinlan

At the age of 30, I was diagnosed with severe Asthma. In 1995 I came close to dying from an asthma attack when a near fatal asthma attack put me into full respiratory and cardiac arrest!

A neighbor took the above picture while paramedics were performing CPR on me as I lay on our front porch.

After this close call, I decided I had to try and reclaim my life and fight this terrible disease. Even despite the false claims of medical professionals that asthma is incurable. My story is proof that extremely severe asthma can be cured.

Needless to say, this will be welcome news to many people and especially parents of little ones who suffer from asthma and allergies.

I just hope that this news from the U of A doesn't fade into the background like the cancer research into DCA did.

Peace, hope, and health,

-AS-

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

This is a good sign to me!
I've had asthma all of my life, and it sucks!
Lets hope the treatment is affordable.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Stem cells..... Key words. Those words = EXPENSIVE (only for the rich) and a threat to the machine known as the drug companies. Hate to be a downer but we'll never see it in ours, or our kids, lifetime.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DJDigitalGem

Did you read the whole OP and the links? It may be treatable with a wide spectrum antibiotic. Unfortunately I'm allergic to these as they are sulfur based .... unless anyone knows of an alternative that is also wide-spectrum.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Only way you will eradicate asthma is by eradicating the biggest polluter which causes it, the Oil refineries, Chemical companies which are located a lot in the UK near big towns.

Where I live there is an increase each year of asthma related cases. Not a decrease.

While the article looks promising a lot more is needed to be done before Asthma can be a thing of the past.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Only way you will eradicate asthma is by eradicating the biggest polluter which causes it, the Oil refineries, Chemical companies which are located a lot in the UK near big towns.

Where I live there is an increase each year of asthma related cases. Not a decrease.

While the article looks promising a lot more is needed to be done before Asthma can be a thing of the past.

Sorry for digging this out of the pile..... But I must say that I would LOVE to see the ratio between petrochemicals (in ANY CUT... TSP, 10ug, 5ug, 2ug or even into the nano scale) and many other "common" and what not...... Let our kids have healthy futures.

top topics

join