How many books do you get through on average per year?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Personally I only get through about 15-20 books per year, mainly because I'm a slow reader and I tend to read 'epics' like Herodotus, Edward Gibbon, Ulysses, War and Peace etc...

I guess if I read more paperback fiction I could get through a lot more, but I'd rather read important literature slowly.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
if i open up a book it's because i have to.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147
[mor
Unfortunately I only get through maybe 4 or 5...I would love to read more books but between having 2 under 5, ATS, all the articles and news links..pinterest, foodgawker, craftgawker and etsy..I don't have anymore time
I have a kindle but still like the old school books..

Wait...do kids books count because we probably read 1K to 2K a year
)))))))

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Good question, I bought a kindle and Iam always downloading book's for it, got about 40 on it but I do buy books and Iam always reading my fave book Lord of the Rings, I got a copy from 1978 and it's old and falling to bit's and I have had to repair it a few times and maybe 4 page's have gone but I love that book (Not just the word's).
But I read before I goto sleep every night so I would say I get thru 40-50 a year I think a lot I have read before and own but still enjoy.
edit on 1-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, it depends on the time I have to put into reading... 40-50 books in a year. Sometimes I will read 2 or 3 books at a time... So in some cases, I can read up to 100 books in a year.... I read everything, from fiction to non-fiction... What is the point of this thread? I'm just wondering why you want to know?

Maybe you should add what kind of books do you read, or interest you the most...?

What is it you get out of reading these books?

Just my 2 cents....

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Half a quarter...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Personally, I do not like to read. But many people find reading interesting and fun but I think it's a huge waste of time that could be better spent reading "crazy" posts.

link   
I'm one of those people who reads about 65% of the book then lose interest, just to pick up another one and start the cycle all over again.

link   

Hmm let me see...... I average about twenty books a month (no joke, its my favorite thing to do!) So 20 x 12 is roughly 240 a year. Damn! No wonder I needed glasses! Lol.

I read everything from classic literature to scifi (MY FAVE) to non fiction such as manuals and biographies. I will seriously read anything. In high school from sheer boredom I read every single text book I had minus my math book from cover to cover.
I dont think there is such a thing as "important works of literature" they were all created by someone for others to read and enjoy. Its up to the readers to weigh them and decide how they feel about each book individually. What I might consider as the best book ever another might think of as trash.

One author I recommend to anyone? Octavia E. Butler and I suggest The Parable of the Sower and The Parable of the Talents. And no they aren't biblical. In my opinion it portrays our world to come if we don't change things soon!
edit on 1-12-2011 by DarthAwesome because: more detailed response

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Usually 0. But last week was an exception. I read a short book on shamanic journeying. Only about 100 pages. Not as interested in reading as I once was.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I usually average between 5-10. I'm a huge fan of reading, but I also tend to go for huge novels that I have to re-read three or four times to really get the full affect from.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 001ggg100What is the point of this thread? I'm just wondering why you want to know?

Maybe you should add what kind of books do you read, or interest you the most...?

Well I currently work in a book shop and I'm interested in people's reading habits. Especially as people seem to be reading less and less these days. The pace of life is so much faster than it was 100 years ago, and there's so many other forms of entertainment.

I suppose it's a quality over quantity for me. I tend to read classic literature (such as Joyce, Hemingway, Kafka, Beckett etc) and ancient history. An easyonthebrain, modern thriller makes a nice change every couple of months.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

If people wish to learn they must read....... that's life.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I have become addicted to the internet and I have a
problem adjusting to my bifocals.I have only been
reading my Bible and not like I should.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Im a bit OCD when it comes to books, once I start one I have to finish it, sometimes it takes a few hours if I am into it (last dresden files I read in 4 hours) 2 days top.

In a year I probably avg about 52, about one a week, my ipad and Iphone are constantly loaded with books, mostly Fantasy, Sci-fi.

With that being said I end up reading a lot of crap that leaves me wondering how they got published.

Michael Crichton, Jim Butcher, George RR martin are all some of my favorite authors.

As for the epics and classics, I made it through much of that back in High School, my memory is pretty decent and never really feel the need to re-read stuff, but I have.
edit on 1-12-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
50 plus.

Anything to everything.

Last 3...
Will Self - The Book of Dave
Richard Bryson - Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
Stephan Hawking - The Universe in a Nutshell

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Around 60 on a wide variety of topics and genres.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
That's not necessarily true. If I didn't' know about fire and got burned, I learn rather quickly from that pain.

I used to read a lot more than I do now. I actually dropped out of High School and hung out at the library reading whatever peaked my interest. It bit me in the rear, but I loved it. Now I don't usually read physical books, its all on electronic devices from the Kindle to the computer.

Even the kids books Ive been reading have been on electronic devices.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I get through about a book a week. Mostly non-fiction that have to do with history. Right now I'm almost through a book called Morning of Fire which is about John Kendrick's American Expedition in the Pacific just after the American Revolution. It's really a good read.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Well I currently work in a book shop and I'm interested in people's reading habits.

Im not sure people are reading less, just differently. I remember a study recently that TXT has the surprising bonus of making children more literate, because no matter what they are reading or writing they are still using the same part of the brain and using it more often than ever before.

Man I must be the bane of the print industry, I can't remember the last time I picked up an actual book for "enjoyment" reading, ever since i could go digital I have, mostly because I read at such a pace print books are impractical.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join