It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Shooting Water Jets Into Space Spotted; By Herschel Telescope.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Stars create water????

A star shooting water is almost an oxymoron. But a young sun-like star seems to have been spotted 750 light-years from Earth doing just that, as researchers have apparently discovered, according to PopSci. Their findings indicate that the proto-star is shooting water from its poles at about 124,000 miles per hour. Essentially, it's creating water bullets that it shoots deep into interstellar space, according to National Geographic. This star is no more than 100,000 years old, and is located in the northern constellation Perseus.
'

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
CRAZYYYY if you ask me. But then again this challenges the theory that Earths water came from billions of comets that rained down to Earth 4.5 billion years ago. Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This is relatively old news (article is from june 2011) but still impressive especially because scientists now believe that all the sun-like stars during their development go through water-producing phases which apparently happen when stars are young.

Stellar Sprinkler Nourishes Galactic "Garden" What's really exciting about the discovery is that it appears to be a stellar rite of passage, the researchers say, which may shed new light on the earliest stages of our own sun's life—and how water fits into that picture. "We are only now beginning to understand that sunlike stars probably all undergo a very energetic phase when they are young," Kristensen said. "It's at this point in their lives when they spew out a lot of high-velocity material—part of which we now know is water."

I think the Drake equation must be updated, the variable "ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets" gets now a different meaning if water is such a common thing in our universe.

But there's so much we don't know.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Hundroid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
WOW an interplanetary super-soaker. Maybe that is how our Earth got water? Hmm makes one wonder.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I wonder if I might ask a question I'm a little fuzzy on with images like this. Is this a computer generated representation or is this literally what one would have seen however long ago if they'd been sitting in a ship in space and looking out a window? Or are these a combination of the two? Thanks....

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]Nice find. S&F

I am a huge science geek so I am a sucker for stuff like this. It really makes you wonder about our origin and what else is left out there to discover.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SelfSustainedLoner

Thank you for posting OP. Just a thought.......if it is now accepted that stars produce ("shoot") water out as a part of their life cycle.......and water is considered to be the key to life existing.......and there are more stars existing than any human can fathom..........then shouldn't life now be considered quite abundent (in theory) throughout the universe(s)?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I don't feel this discovery challenges that theory at all. Nor am I surprised that stars emit water. When oxygen, hydrogen, and an ignition source are all present in the same area, at the same time, water vapor is produced. It's hard for me to imagine a different outcome. For comets to contain water, it would need to be produced somewhere else. Comets can only be the carriers because they are far too cold to produce water on their own.

Nice find! Star and flag for you!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Water is nice but when a star starts shooting beer, then I'll be surprised and the first in line.
edit on 1-12-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I checked for you. It's an illustration, courtesy of NASA/Caltech.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes, a Artists conception based on IR and X-Ray images I think. Either way it's still a artists conception.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Very nice. I agree with you too some extent. I understand the surrounding gasses and matter condenses due to gravity, to make a star. How ever the heat that is present would lead me to believe the water could not exist. New star or not the temps the stars generate are way to high to have water present. the only thing I can relate something like this too is Water and oil, how it separates from one another. Maybe the same thing happens when in space, regardless of what heat is present.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jobuko

Thank you for posting OP. Just a thought.......if it is now accepted that stars produce ("shoot") water out as a part of their life cycle.......and water is considered to be the key to life existing.......and there are more stars existing than any human can fathom..........then shouldn't life now be considered quite abundent (in theory) throughout the universe(s)?

I would like to agree. The asteroid belt and everything outside of Pluto is said to be made up of 70% water. Which is why I said this info challenges how water came to be on Earth.
We as Humans say water needs to be present for life. Yet we are finding life, here on Earth in very strange places. Methane richs areas, pure sulfate areas, even in boiling water. I would not be surprised if water bearing comets has organic life on it.
edit on 1-12-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

You brought up a very good point!

I would imagine that a some distance from stars, conditions exist for the formation of water. From the little research I just did, the highest temp. for the existence of water is 1200 degrees C, and hydrogen's autoignition temperature is 585 degrees C. When a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen is ignited, water is produced. It seems water production near stars might be quite feasible. That said, I ain't no scientist though.

You might find this article pretty interesting. I did.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 1-12-2011 by BenReclused because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Here ya go budy drink up!

Alcohol Cloud around star
edit on 1-12-2011 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You may also find this other thread, from June 2011 interesting, with the comments that are contained within it:

Star Found Shooting Water "Bullets"

Wednesday, 15 June 2011.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Sorry for not being able to reply. I think my ISP has ATS as a censored site. Every post I make, has it so I have to relog in.. Anyway's I am posting this to say sorry to everyone who has read this kind of topic before. I did a ATS search for Water from Stars, Stars and water. Nothing came up. So I posted it... It seems half of ATS is keen on making sure no one does a double post of another topic, regardless if its 3 years old. SO again. I am sorry for posting this being it's been posted before.......

EDIT: Just to be a dick. Atleast I got 10 stars. YAYYYY, I'm Special... Would you like an apple pie with that?
edit on 2-12-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I remember when I posted this story about 6 months ago. Yep, still shooting water.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(use the search feature)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Don't worry about it. If you hadn't posted this, I may not have ever known about it. As far as stars go, I'm still glad I gave you a couple.

I wish I had some pie!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
i guess i need to freshen up on my physics.

a multi-million degree/Nuclear fusion Sun/Star cannot generate H2O and shoot it out into space

what seems to be happening is that an earlier Super Nova cloud of debris (containing heavier element including water)
a part of that nebulous cloud is condensing into a proto-Star and at it's polar vortices is causing the cloud of debris containing 'water' to be forceabley ejected into space

any planets accreting in this cloud of super-nova debris would also have some of those heavier elements including hydrocarbons and water in the planets composition...

the new developing Star is not creating and shooting out H2O

the new developing Star is just scattering away the elements it does not need for its own growth & development...
stuff like hydrogen gas & ions it attracts...
stuff like uranium/hydrocarbons/water/gold it spins off into space...

and hence the mind boggling picture and story..to attract interest

top topics

<<   2 >>

join