It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crosses worn on chains - Need some help please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
OK, my Dad is a 'know all' and we just had this unnecessary pathetic row on the phone about what crosses and crucifixes portray when worn around the neck.

I bought my nephew a plain silver cross and chain for Christmas, and his 'other' Grandparents are Christians. I told my Dad this, and he immediately went on the defensive saying that a 'plain cross' means Catholic and they might frown upon it.

I tried to explain my basic knowledge that Jesus wasn't on the cross, which means he has risen, and therefore it is not a Catholic cross but nooooooooooooooooo... My Dad knows best about everything!

Anyway, I was hoping someone could put together a simple paragraph in Laymans terms so i could email it to him, explaining what the difference is - Yes I will be taking credit for your work! lol - No but seriously it would be better if someone else wrote it for me.

Please feel free to mention that Henry the VIII broke free the catholic church, and created the Church of England/Protestant just so he could divorce his wife (which is a sin in Catholicism)

Please keep it simple, as my Dad may get bored reading as soon as he realises he's wrong

Also, feel free to add any evidence in his defence!

Thanks in advance!
Oz
edit on 1-12-2011 by Ozvaldo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozvaldo

How about this...we don't know for sure if Jesus really exists, so why would you have a cross with a fictional character on it? It isn't just a Christian symbol either...link.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Uhuh, i'm totally cool with that being agnostic myself. But that won't wash with my dad regarding this conversation. Thanks anyway!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
From my understanding the Catholics have Jesus on the cross.
At least that is what I have seen. They are also the ones with the
majority of the saints medalions.

My girlfriend is Cathollic, I'll ask her and reply tonight if you don't have an answer by then.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ark005

Thank you very much, i look forward to your reply

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just tell him to wear it upside down. He'll fit right in with society.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozvaldo

The cross is just an idol...

Jesus was hung on a pole... or even a "stake"

Whats important is what he taught, not what you ware because that symbol is not what he taught...

Take it from him my friend

25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Last thing Jesus want's to see when/if he comes back is a cross

Thanks Bill RIP.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

To keep this simple the Pharisee of old are the priests of the Catholic church of today,, As far as the Cross, the Catholic's still have him crucified and still dead on the Cross as did the Pharisee of old told the guards to tell the people they fell asleep and someone came and stole his body,,unfortunately some still want him dead,, the Christian cross, is a bare cross for as we Know Jesus Rose from the dead,, And you say that you are Agnostic watch this and Really tell God you dont believe

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yer Pop is wrong. Have him Google Catholic cross and look at the images most are with Jesus on the cross. Then have him do a Protesant Cross search they are sans Jesus...

Was that simple enough?
edit on 1-12-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Yer Pop is wrong. Have him Google Catholic cross and look at the images most are with Jesus on the cross. Then have him do a Protesant Cross search they are sans Jesus...

Was that simple enough?
edit on 1-12-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

Yep that was actually the 1st thing I said to him "go google it!" to which his reply was "I don't need to" because he thinks he is right.

that's why I need something factual yet simple to mail him.

NB: I just did google images for Christian crosses & Catholic crosses, and some of the catholic images are just plain crosses - now i'm in a right mucking fuddle!!! :s

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozvaldo

I bought my friend a cross a few years ago and I wanted an "official" Catholic cross so I went to a store right on the church property, and run by people from the church.
They sold crosses with, or without, the corpus, which is the little Jesus figure on the cross. I ended up buying a silver cross with a gold plated corpus on it, which is exactly what my Catholic friend wanted.
edit on 1-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well oz i have never heard of jesus being on the cross and christians not liking it. In fact i think in the popes church there is a picture of jesus on the cross but either way Jesus got off that cross. A very powerful cross is the one with Jesus still on it and for some reason that type of cross seems to scare demons the most and really upset them to the point where they are furious. I have seen catholics with blank crosses and crosses that are not blank. Should it really matter? it is an arguement that Jesus would not have.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozvaldo

Your dad has it backwards, Catholics are usually fond of the crucifix, not the empty cross.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Thanks for all your input guys. I ended up copying and pasting pictures of both crosses with descriptions, and a little passage about Henry the VIII and when the COE separated from the the Roman Catholic church.

At the end of the day he will still think he was right, because Dads are always right, right?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Um you could copy this whole page to mail to him... if not choose your battles and and give up it really is not that serious and let him think he is right.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Agreed, it's all over with now. There's only so long I can entertain pettiness

top topics

join