It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A free energy idea using nature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I guess I will start of by saying I am not great with science and not sure how well my idea would work if at all. So I was thinking if we want to find free energy it will first be important to understand nature and work with it rather than against it.

So what is my idea? Well what if we harness the kinetic energy from natural sources such as trees and grass? The wind against these sources to be exact. Imagine a field which has thousands of blades of grass all moving independently. Also trees, each leaf, branch and even trunk in smaller trees and bushes move constantly with the wind. So could we draw power from this movement using sheer scale of natural open areas?

Maybe even artificial grass could be created with 3d printers so each blade has a connection to an output, this artificial grass could be placed on roof tops amongst the more traditional windmills and solar panels we use today. I do not know how much power, if any these would draw though.

Wires could connect to each leaf like a natural membrane on trees in a park, forests, and gardens, maybe even encourage more open space. Perhaps it would at least power some street lights etc nearby? I appreciate windmills will likely draw more power however we have lots of kinetic energy that could be tapped without filling the area with windmills. I appreciate not everywhere has enough wind however I think with today’s tech I think we could all have power coming from our gardens without any unsightly devices etc.

So what do you think, would the wind against, trees, grass and bushes generate a decent amount of energy? Obviously there is probably better tech out there hidden from the world but it shouldn’t stop us from thinking of our own ideas.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Sounds slighly similar to Nikola Tesla's idea to use our ionic atmosphere for free global energy using our earth's crust as a ground. The problem he faced which you would also face if your theory worked is that people like JP Morgan will stand in the way free energy for as long as they possibly can. Why? Because then they can't charge for it of course!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Interesting idea, the wind-grass idea sounds pretty cool. One thing I have to say about ancient windmill energy, the windmills could generate more energy if they were sideways with long panels so the wind would hit increasing the energy output by at least 30%, this windmill has already been invented, in modern day and the ancient dutch used it as well, I'm just surprised supposed eco-friendly people are still pushing the old windmills that generate less energy. New ideas with wind are better than rehashing old ones.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments, yeah when it comes to energy it is foolish to stick to old ways. We need new ideas, I do photography in forests and everytime I am in a forest I feel energy all around me. I would actually try this idea out if I had some suggestions on how I could get it to work. I would happily spend some money on a good project to try and help then on another PS3 game.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
i dont see how this would work. how exactly are blades of grass going to turn a generator ?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Good idea, but ideas like that could make households energy-self-sufficient and that would make it so people would no longer need to rely on friendly energy corporations. Next thing you know, people would have organic gardens in their backyards and chicken coops. Everyone knows anarchy would ensue if we didn't pay our corporate taxes and have corporations keep order.

I kid of course.

Even better, make you grass out of super thin flexible solar panel paper to harvest energy from both wind and the sun.

Look what ATS thought of with a quick brainstorming, imagine what the billions of people in the world could create if we were able to shift focus from profits to progress.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well I was thinking with nana tech might work, for instance nano membranes could be placed onto newly growing grass. A machine could move over the grass attaching these membranes to the stems linking them all up together. In fact perhaps the grass itself could act as a way of generating current considering they are mostly water?

These are just ideas really, I do not nearly have the know-how to figure it all out but I firmly believe there are others who would have a good idea how to connect it all up. What if small wires and ground connect to the roots and draw electricity from the grass above ground somehow.

I think it would need some cutting edge tech in order connect a whole forest of field but starting small and refining the concept I'm sure will bring about solutions.

Originally posted by CREAM
Good idea, but ideas like that could make households energy-self-sufficient and that would make it so people would no longer need to rely on friendly energy corporations. Next thing you know, people would have organic gardens in their backyards and chicken coops. Everyone knows anarchy would ensue if we didn't pay our corporate taxes and have corporations keep order.

I kid of course.

Even better, make you grass out of super thin flexible solar panel paper to harvest energy from both wind and the sun.

Look what ATS thought of with a quick brainstorming, imagine what the billions of people in the world could create if we were able to shift focus from profits to progress.

That’s sounds great, I am sure there is tons of ways of enhancing this idea. Before we get ahead of ourselves though I think we should work out theoretical certain areas would generate. If all the kinetic energy from a forest only powered a few lights then it would be an impractical concept. I think this would be an interesting project though, maybe start of on plants and gardens to refine the efficiency.
edit on 1-12-2011 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I may be misunderstanding, but your idea sounds a lot like the concept behind the "Wind Belt": a clever little invention which uses aeolian harp technology.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

C.R.E.A.M, get the MONEY! Dolla Dolla Bill Ya!

Money, it's what our corporate masters want. Unless they're making money off something else that makes the same $ as oil, energy idea's like yours will be getting no funding. In fact, unfortunately we live in a world where most people will deem you're idea unrealistic. I my self think its a good idea

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HillbillyHippie1
I may be misunderstanding, but your idea sounds a lot like the concept behind the "Wind Belt": a clever little invention which uses aeolian harp technology.

en.wikipedia.org...

That does sound similar indeed, I got a bit lost when it said about the magnets and how they created the current, would that mean in these membraines small magents could be placed inside to generate more power.

One prototype has powered two LEDs, a radio, and a clock (separately) using wind generated from a household fan.[citation needed] The cost of the materials was well under US$10.

I also found this interesting, if a household fan can power those I wonder how much energy could be generated when scaled up to a garden or group of trees.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Who needs funding when we can do it ourself, your British so should understand the power of men in sheds! Maybe these ideas wont have the finesse of government funded projects but with numbers things could take of providing everything if open source from the start and is not kept secret for financial gain. Just make sure you have some protection by your bed side for unexpected visits.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

I'm not really the scientist myself, so I am not exactly sure how they work, I just know they are a really neat idea. If you do a web search on the "wind belt" and aeolian generators you will find all kinds of neat stuff. I believe there is even a do-it-yourself video out there somewhere that shows you how to make a wind belt with spare computer parts.

www.instructables.com...

I actually stumbled upon the Wind Belt when searching online trying to figure out what those bamboo like wind chimes were that they used to scare people and make them think the woods were haunted, in the movie Robinhood (the one with Kevin Costner). That's when I found out about aeolian instruments and then about the wind belt. I still don't know what them wind chimes are called...

I plan on building myself one sometime just to see how well it works.
edit on 12/1/2011 by HillbillyHippie1 because: I can

new topics

top topics

join