It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Segway based Tali-bots to assist Marines in combat training.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
These things look pretty cool and I'll bet they will help to make training a little bit more realistic.

‘Tali-Bots’ on Segways Simulate Realistic Targets for Marine Training

While these dummies on Segways may not look very intimidating, the U.S. Marine Corps is hoping they will provide more realistic training to soldiers as the first “smart targets” to be used by the U.S. military.

According to Gizmodo, these smart targets are “autonomous, programmable and responsive” and the Marine Corps base in Quanitco, Virginia, just received eight sets for a pretty penny: $57 million.

The 5′11” smart target dummies ride along following a “pre-orchestrated or auto-generated scenario”, meaning a commander doesn’t need to control them with a joystick, according to their manufacturer Marathon Targets, which is based in Australia with an office in Huntsville, Ala. In addition to using Segways, other technology allows for a more realistic training experience. According to the website, the target is able to sense when it is shot, sending a message to other targets to run for cover and target’s human-like nature allows “soldiers to train the way they fight.”

The Blaze

If they've come this far, how long before they will be able to mount a gun it those things and send them out to kill our "enemies"? They've already got drones in the air, how long before they start putting them on the ground to subjugate which ever country our corporate masters point us at next?

And the best thing is; when they point them at the American people, they won't have to worry about any mutinies because our troops won't kill their friends and neighbors. A soldier without a conscience is the best soldier, right?

The plans for our subjugation are moving along smoothly, it seems.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
That is neat, but why are they all wearing hoodies. Looks like a OWS protest.
ummmm yeah..........

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

And the best thing is; when they point them at the American people, they won't have to worry about any mutinies because our troops won't kill their friends and neighbors. A soldier without a conscience is the best soldier, right?

This is what is really scary. Simple people had very few freedoms until leaders discovered that conscription can create huge armies and boost economies for war. Then it was gradual liberation process, since soldiers became simple people and keeping those oppressed and unhappy was dangerous for elites. Now when robots will replace people on battlefield (and pretty much everywhere else) it will be much worse.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ga-`tv-gi
That is neat, but why are they all wearing hoodies. Looks like a OWS protest.
ummmm yeah..........

Maybe that's the point of this tech; get the military accustomed to targeting average, everyday looking people.

Then again, further down in the source article, it does say the Marines trained with Tali-bots in Middle-Eastern garb. Whatever that means...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I don't think these things with guns on them would be much of a threat to humans at the moment. Humans have for some reason the ability to chose to do the dumbest and most illogical act and do the wrong thing that these robots would be so confused at how stupid we can be at times.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

They don't have to understand why we do the stupid things we do, they just have to put lots of holes in us with bullets. Even the dumbest robot can do that, I would imagine.

Maybe even one that's dumber than we are.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Remember when the Segway was supposed to change our world? Cities were going to be built around them. They were going to make us all happier and healthier and freer.

Now bears ride them in circuses and the army duct tapes scarecrows to them to act as absurdly expensive poles in the ground.

No wonder the inventor rode one off a cliff.

Time 50 worst inventions, Segway is #1
edit on 1-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I wish they had these when I was going through AIT and Basic training it would have helped a lot. I am not parinoid like others on here. These are for our soldiers to train and the video was made by the company that has manufactured them so ask them why they dressed them the way they did. It amazes me how people can take a great idea and try to twist it into something ominouse.

I am so scared of a segway(sarcasm).

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
finally a useful purpose for segways

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I wish they had these when I was going through AIT and Basic training it would have helped a lot. I am not parinoid like others on here. These are for our soldiers to train and the video was made by the company that has manufactured them so ask them why they dressed them the way they did. It amazes me how people can take a great idea and try to twist it into something ominouse.

I am so scared of a segway(sarcasm).

This is ATS; a conspiracy forum. We find something sinister in everything we see. Its in our blood and its what makes us tick.

If you don't want to end up like us, I suggest you run away from this site as fast as you can. Its still not too late for you.

Awwwww, lookit, some cute little kittens, there's nothing sinister about them right?

I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

edit on 12/1/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Are those robots really called "Tali-bots"? If so I think it is a good indication that the US atleast will be fighting the Taliban for a long time to come. You do not develop bots to replicate Taliban when you believe the war will be over soon after.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

I think the official name is Marathon Targets, named after the company that makes them or Smart Targets but, I wouldn't put it past the military to nickname them something like that.

Yes, at first glance the Smart Targets, as they are called, look like mannequins on Segways—because, well, they are. But they are also so much more: autonomous, programmable, and responsive. The same programming processes that control the AI in, say, any of the Splinter Cell series—where enemy guards move along set paths but are still smart enough to investigate the sounds of their comrades being pistol-whipped—controls the movements of these dummies. Using a laptop and a proprietary GUI, the instructor can create and run training scenarios—dictating the dummy's speed, travel pattern, and acceleration and stopping among other variables.

The dummies themselves come in two varieties: the two-wheeled T20 and the four-wheeled T40. They both stand 5-foot 11-inches tall and move roughly as fast as people run—7-11 mph. The T20 is built directly on an armored Segway platform. It can turn in tight circles and leans forward when it accelerates, just like a human. When a kill shot is registered, the T20 will drop its dummy and the other T20's in the area—being networked—will all scatter for cover, quickly reacting the changing situation.

Gizmodo

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Those stupid thing humans do that a robot can't comprehend are what give humans the advantage over robots.

top topics

join