It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be a survival dope!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

First off there is nothing wrong with owning guns,ammo,and food and stockpiling and preparation some people call this a myriad of names "surviving armageddon" being prepared for a zombie apocalypse and any number of man made or disasters scenario.

It is a well known fact that media get's it wrong about some of these people and they sure as hell don't know a weapon or grendade from a hole in the ground posted this video cause well a lot of people think somewhat like this and some people will make them out to be nutcases.

The only thing this dude is guilty of is being stupid for a shooting range in his attic which is why the title of the thread don't be a dope.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Oh come on. Grenades? CS Gas? That's not survival planning. That's combat planning and only belongs in the hands of our armed forces. Armageddon he was preparing for! Fantasyland, period.

There's a huge difference between survival preparedness and... this. Sheesh, look at the guy, he isn't prepared for anything survival related, he couldn't run two city blocks without collapsing judging by his physical condition. I hope that the system is able to rehabilitate him and he can lead a normal life again at some point.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
His wife turned him in, man he made a mistake on that one.

A firing range in the attic, that is scary. Grenades, wow. I guess uncle Sam don't like no competition!

Wow, my wife is with me all the way. We have been working on homesteading, and Ive been finding out how to grow food.

tip for you: If you like potatoes, they can be grown in a garbage can full of fertilizer/dirt mix

Also for those of you who like those evil tomatoes, they are the easiest thing to grow. Had a seed drop in a crack and grow a decent amount (for growing in a crack in the pavement).

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

I rewatched the video and it didn't mention any gas. Also after relistening to what he was quoted saying, it sounds creepy, but the "just us" department loves to spin things way out of proportion. For all we know he could have mentioned that anyone attacking them or trying to take their food should be or what not.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I personally have no problem with people owning grenades.
Hell, making explosives is simple in nature.
You can purchase dynamite, being a citizen.

Shooting in the attic? If there was a way to stop the bullets in a manner that would not harm neighbors, then that is a non issue as well.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
Oh come on. Grenades? CS Gas? That's not survival planning. That's combat planning and only belongs in the hands of our armed forces. Armageddon he was preparing for! Fantasyland, period.

There's a huge difference between survival preparedness and... this. Sheesh, look at the guy, he isn't prepared for anything survival related, he couldn't run two city blocks without collapsing judging by his physical condition. I hope that the system is able to rehabilitate him and he can lead a normal life again at some point.

The guy is a moron, Ill give you that, but I have to wonder-why should the more dangerous weapons only be in the hands of the military? If, and its a HUGE if, there ever was a true martial law type scenario, I certainly wouldnt want the best weapons only in the hands of the military...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Me either since when people actually look at what they are calling "grendades" are less lethal and for those who own a 40mm grenade launcher they are legal in many states just requires a 200 to 400 tax stamp.

People sure to love making mountains out of sinkholes.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yes, yes they do.

I could do more damage with a potato launcher and some "Materials" then what most could do with a grenade.

The real danger is in the trained and imaginative person who is set on a goal.
The things shown are merely objects, tools or convenient usable pre-made items.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by neo96

Yes, yes they do.

I could do more damage with a potato launcher and some "Materials" then what most could do with a grenade.

The real danger is in the trained and imaginative person who is set on a goal.
The things shown are merely objects, tools or convenient usable pre-made items.

Spot on there!

I could make a more dangerous weapon then a C.S gas grenade with the contents of my bedroom.
Pipebombs are simple, a child could work it out (and often does, work great on letterbox's haha)
Household cleaners in the right mix can make Awesome explosives, Fertilizer and diesal fuel go boom like no-bodies business (personally witnessed this happen by accident on a farm), homemade Napalm is also a sinch.
Pipe rifles require a little more knowledge but not impossible, geez the list goes on.
As for Potato (or frozen orange) cannons, i've seen those things launch a frozen fruit over a kilometre!
Then you have Vietnam war inspire traps and such. Conventional 'Military' weapons are merely convienient.
NOTE: I live in Australia and own no weapons other then kitchen utensils and my imagination.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2011 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82

While I disagree and think these things do have some usefulness, even if it is for combat planning, I also think you have a point. You don't store these things at home, and you don't brag about them or show them around to folks. You don't put a shooting range in your attic. And, if you have the expertise to have all of these things, then you might as well get your FFL license and have them legally.

So, the OP is right, the guy is a dope, but that doesn't mean this merchandise is only for armed forces.
edit on 1-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Depends on where you live as to what you can have. Pay your tax stamps and provide for secure locking storage and If your state allows it then your good. Every state is different. If your in dobt call your local PD or go to e reputable gun dealer and ask. Dont assume because its the internet and they will ship it to you that its ok.

But the real issue here is his wife is licensed to make the call on him being stable or not. She obviously gave him a lot of leeway, but the bottom line is he stopped making sense. If she felt others may be in danger the way things were going then she has a responsibility to the community at large.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I saw a BB/pellet rifle in his stash and more than likely was shooting that up in his attic. If he was shooting a high powered rifle up there the whole neighborhood would have heard it including the neighbor in the attached condo. The details are a little vague regarding his "range".

I shoot a pellet rifle and pistol in my basement all of the time for practice. Making a good pellet trap is easy and safe. Use lots of duct seal in a plywood box. www.archerairguns.info...

The grenades are a bit much. The guy would have been off defending his weapon stash as a collection. I know a couple of people who have more rifles in a collection that they keep locked in a safe.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Ok so, the first thing I noticed was the crossman bb gun in that "stockpile".
I wonder if this was the gun he was using?
But yeah the smoke/ tear gas grenades are a no no.
OOOOPS!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
CS or smoke will make the fish taste funny. You really need a concussion grenade to bring up a serious amount of fish. It's hard to get it right, because if you drop it too near your boat, you could sink yourself; and if you throw it too far, it wont sink down deep enough to kill many fish.

Seriously, why would you even have this? CS gas will have absolutely no effect on zombies.

Or on your psychologist wife when she wants a divorce. They will have an effect on your trial, however.

edit on 3-12-2011 by tovenar because: don't throw stones if you have a bb range in the attic.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I support the second Amendment.

Grenades for the most part have no place in the civilian sector. Heck, frag grenades are kept under tight control even in the military, and CS grenades themselves are very rare. There is no justification for some unscreened joe to own any sort of grenade. None - They are not arms, they are not defensive weapons in the general sense of the term, they are deadly explosives meant to rip apart bodies. Would hate to see someone with something like that flip a lid. If like this individual you don't like the state of things, use the rights afforded to you by the Constitution to make a difference.

reply to post by captaintyinknots

That's up to you if you want to imagine a martial law type scenario, but of course the best weapons are in the Armed Force's hands, naturally. I don't perceive martial law as being a realistic possibility in the near future... Hope I'm not wrong on that!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
What really slays me about all this is the reaction over CS and pepper ball grenades, items that by nature are designed to be less-lethal alternatives to things like fragmentation grenades. I'm licensed to carry a loaded handgun which is easily capable of killing someone, but if I get caught with something that doesn't generally kill people I get the book thrown at me, where is the logic in that? That said this is an old story if I recall and dude did some bonehead things and got pinched for it, if he was indeed shooting a bb-gun indoors with a proper pellet trap I don't see where there is any problem at all honestly, but we know reason is not something the government is too keen on .

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Some may people play Call of Duty too much and have the wrong idea about "survival".

Walk off into your local woods, desert, swamp or mountains with a knife & fire starting equipment.
Can you "survive"?

If you have skills you can. I didn't say live comfortably, I said SURVIVE. Big difference.

You HAVE to learn : SURVIVAL SKILLS and all the other toys just make it easier and more comfortable.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The key to survival in the majority of situations is stay in the background. Be the wallpaper in the room..Don't get noticed.. Don't draw attention to yourself like the man in the OP did.

Be the Gray Man!! If you're a suburban survivalist, look like one. You'll stand out if you're the only guy in the subdivision decked out in camo on a daily basis. If you're a rural survivalist and your neighbors are sporting Realtree daily wear. Dress just like them. I follow the same rules when carrying CCW. I'm not decked out in 5.11 tactical gear and I'm not sporting my gun du jour baseball cap. I want to be the last person you would suspect to be carrying a weapon in the room.

new topics

top topics

join