It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico glyphs do not predict apocalypse according to a German expert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

At least that's according to a German expert who says his decoding of a Mayan tablet with a reference to a 2012 date denotes a transition to a new era and not a possible end of the world as others have read it.

The interpretation of the hieroglyphs by Sven Gronemeyer of La Trobe University in Australia was presented for the first time Wednesday at the archaeological site of Palenque in southern Mexico.

His comments came less than a week after Mexico's archaeology institute acknowledged there was a second reference to the 2012 date in Mayan inscriptions, touching of another round of talk about whether it predicts the end of the world.

www.boston.com

It would seem that the 2012 prophecy has been getting a good bit of publicity in the last week,Just last week Mexico releases a statement when the archaeology institute acknowledged there was a second reference to the 2012 date in Mayan inscriptions found on the 'Comalcalco stone'.

If you are interested on that particular subject,I authored a thread that can be found Here

What does everyone make of this information? does it add any additional evidence to sway your opinion either way? I look forward to your thoughts on the matter

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I have read that an inscription on the brick states something along the lines of "he/she/it descends (from the sky) in 2012"

Also, I found it interesting that the brick was supposedly NOT meant to be seen, even while it was in use in its time. (it was behind another layer of wall, pointed inward)

Of course, the "experts" say it does not point to any sort of cataclysm, and the "theorists" undoubtedly believe it does. I cannot say, but I thought we just "discovered over 1,000 Mayan codec(s) in a museum basement somewhere... I think we should see if there is anything in that collection.

Overall, very interesting to be approaching prophesied times, regardless of the nature of the prophecy.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Yea but truth has no place in a conspiracy theory.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Use search function, its on the first page ffs...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

Those "codices" were fake. At the very least they were not Mayan in origin. It's also very telling that the story was being spread by two men known to be cashing in on the 2012 hysteria.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I know,I actually started doing some digging on the Comalcalco stone/second reference on 2012 etc. after I saw the article last week announcing that Mexico's anthropology institute was officially accepting a second reference for 2012.

I do not know if you saw my thread but there is a good bit more when it comes to these 'fired bricks" and the Comalcalco site in general,I highly recommend checking it out,there is a lot more to it all it seems,still looking for some more information pertaining to the engraved bricks with supposed "mason marks" on them.

Heres the link - Comalcalco's Mysterious Mason Marks
edit on 1-12-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Saltarello

I did use the search function,thanks for the advice though
, you can have the same thread twice,if one is located in the 'breaking news section' ( from what I have seen/heard? )

I am well aware of how ats works.
Nothing came up when I typed the articles exact title,that is why.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Those "codices" were fake. At the very least they were not Mayan in origin. It's also very telling that the story was being spread by two men known to be cashing in on the 2012 hysteria.

How do you know this? Do you have any links you can share that disproves these glyphs..Coz I'm interested in finding out more about 'em.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Ah I see it now. Then its all good I guess. Either way, spreading calm and for once that the world is not going to end (duh, really?
), no doubt spread it further.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I think I believe this more than any of the other stories out there, fear is a profitable business these days. 2012 is in my opinion a scam/hype to get people to buy survival goods, and the many other product being sold to 2012 doomsday people that are scarred that the world is ending.

Evidence: They made a movie about it = advertising = profit
edit on 1-12-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Although I do agree with you as far as fear = profit,So does just about anything under the sun,especially these days.

Making a movie does not make any theory/subject obsolete,that would be silly to believe.

If that were the case then just about every mystery or conspiracy has already been made void in the process

I do not think the world is going to end but I do think 2012 has the potential for something incredible to happen,either good,bad or in between,depending on who you ask and how you look at it.

At the very least, I believe 2012 could become a self fulfilling prophecy,the hype train and the overall common knowledge of the prophecy is enough to have many people worry running to stock up goods,loot,riot etc. and I am sure even extreme instances where individuals acceptance of something catastrophic happening pushing them to act irresponsibly or erratic.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The Mayas NEVER predicted the end of the world, the 2012 nonsense is all made up by western authors.
So, without having to go to that link i know it will only confirm what i already knew.

Again: 2012 "End of the world" is a fabrication by book authors mainly from the US for cashing in on the gullible like the typical C2C listener etc.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception
What does everyone make of this information?

There's always some spoilsport who pops up and claims that the end of the world isn't going to happen, thereby putting a huge chill on everybody else's doomsday buzz. I think we should just ignore him and go on as if the world is going to end as predicted. Keeps everybody on their toes.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

You have to be familiar with Mayan iconography and epigraphy to notice why they're fake, but if you do it becomes apparent very quickly. For one the artwork does not bear any resemblance to the Mayan style. Another big hint that they're fake is that the script is not Mayan. Throw in the fact that when the article came out it quoted Hunbatz Men, who was just about to go on a tour of the United States with the crystal skulls.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Mexico is desperate for tourism right now and they seem to be banking heavily on the 2012 angle. Case in point the documentary coming out next year. The fact is that those bricks had been known of for a long time and they bear no reference to 2012. The date on them is a Calendar Round date which cannot be tied to a specific year. While it does have the same Calendar Round date as 13.0.0.0.0, it also has the same Calendar Round date as many other dates as a Calendar Round date repeats every 52 years. For this reason we can exclude it as a reference to 2012 as Calendar Round dates were never used to reference events that occurred years in the past or years in the future. In cases like that the Long Count date would be used.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Thanks for the insightful reply, sir.

I'm not familiar with Hunbatz Men, so I'll be sure to look 'em up.
edit on 1-12-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

2012 was made up to sell survival goods?

LOL?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I am aware that the "fired bricks" have nothing to do with 2012,I was only referencing what I have personally found pertaining to the Comalcalco archeological discovery,"supposedly" the bricks were found to have 'mason marks' on the the backside of the bricks.

Here is the Comalcalco stone for anyone interested -

I am not in a position to say if it is 100% legitimately thee second reference or first etc. considering how many different stories you will hear.

I need to do more research on the Maya before I can solidly state my opinion on if it concerns the long count vs. calendar round date.

Let me ask you this,you seem to have been previously/actively researching 2012 & the Mayan's...What is your honest assessment on 2012?

all hype,complete manipulation of the Mayan glyphs? or is there more to it with the possibility of something profound transpiring around the prophesied date?

just curious

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

If you are interested in my thoughts on the topic I suggest checking the first link in my signature. It is pretty much a summary of my research, complete with sources. As for the references to 2012, even if both Tortuguero and Comalcalco referenced 2012 it would be hard to determine which came first as they were both created at around the same time. Interestingly enough at the time of the "references'" creation Comalcalco had just been conquered by Tortuguero. So, once again, even if both referenced 2012 it is no indication that the Maya as a whole had an interest in the date. It is merely an indication that a certain ruler had an interest in the date.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

If you are interested in my thoughts on the topic I suggest checking the first link in my signature. It is pretty much a summary of my research, complete with sources. As for the references to 2012, even if both Tortuguero and Comalcalco referenced 2012 it would be hard to determine which came first as they were both created at around the same time. Interestingly enough at the time of the "references'" creation Comalcalco had just been conquered by Tortuguero. So, once again, even if both referenced 2012 it is no indication that the Maya as a whole had an interest in the date. It is merely an indication that a certain ruler had an interest in the date.

I will check them out thanks.

I agree with you about determining which came first, Tortuguero or Comalcalco,Because of what you previously stated,I was aware of it being the same conqueror that supposedly was linked with both inscriptions it's been theorized.

Some believe that the Comalcalco stone was simply historical documentation,not necessarily prophetic -

The brick date does coincide with the end of the 13th Baktun; Baktuns were roughly 394-year periods and 13 was a significant, sacred number for the Mayas. The Mayan Long Count calendar begins in 3114 B.C., and the 13th Baktun ends around Dec. 21, 2012.

But the date on the brick could also correspond to similar dates in the past, Stuart said. "There's no reason it couldn't be also a date in ancient times, describing some important historical event in the Classic period.

In fact, the third glyph on the brick seems to read as the verb huli, "he/she/it arrives." "There's no future tense marking (unlike the Tortuguero phrase), which in my mind points more to the Comalcalco date being more historical that prophetic," Stuart wrote.

Source

The conspiracy theorist in me cannot help but think of supernatural demi-gods & "Aliens" when reading "he/she/is arrives"

edit on 2-12-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join