It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan tablet decoding rules out 2012 apocalypse

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I never understood any of this 2012 doomsday hub-bub. People that insist the end of the world will come in 2012 are for the most part nut jobs that should really do more research (Youtube doesn't count either..). Just because a calendar ends on a certain date DOES not says the end of the world will come on said date. If this were true (which it isn't) then the calendar on my wall says the end of the world will be coming in about 30 or so days.

For the whole "Nibiru" thing.. sorry but there are literally thousand upon thousands of telescopes that say NO planet of that magnitude is in our solar system or headed into our solar system. Given other factors such a you know reality and the fact stitchin is/was a fraud. I think we can rule out any major cosmic event happening in our solar system for 2012 (other then the alignment).

But lets think for a moment here, if the world was ending in 2012, as such portrayed by stitchin (or by a huge event that will wipe everything off the face of the earth). What exactly would we do about it? Ok fine you know about it and some others then what? Stock up on supplies? If the government came out on TV tomorrow and said "Ohh by the way a planet is coming to hit us and there is nothing we can do about it, you're all going to die in a year" What exactly would this accomplish? Ohh yay we would have mass panic, riots world wide, people hoarding supplies, crime rate would skyrocket and it would be hell in a sense, on earth.

I feel sorry for those who still think this is going to happen, maybe you should have read a book (you know those paper filled things in libraries?) called "Critical thinking" instead of getting scientific "facts" from morons on youtube, spouting pseudo-science from even more less informed morons who just wanted to make a quick buck off your ignorance.

edit on 12/1/1111 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/1/1111 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

As I said the Popol Vuh was a post-Columbian manuscript that was influenced by Christian beliefs. In fact the Popol Vuh is the only place in all of Mayan epigraphy that makes any mention of multiple worlds or races.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by CREAM

As I said the Popol Vuh was a post-Columbian manuscript that was influenced by Christian beliefs. In fact the Popol Vuh is the only place in all of Mayan epigraphy that makes any mention of multiple worlds or races.

Oh? Word, I'll do more research next time. Too bad we couldn't go back in time and clear up all the confusion lol.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ittabena
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Mayan tablet decoding rules out 2012 apocalypse

I for one never saw any evidence that they were predicting the end of the world, and I am a history nut with a bent towards ancient religions. IMHO folks have been superimposing the book of Revelation - probably the iffiest book of the Canonized Bible - on top of the Mayan Calender. My biggest concern is that TPTB would seize on this date and use it to further their agenda(s).

halfpasthuman.com...
here is what might happen in next 3 months.
edit on 1-12-2011 by cathar because: halfpasthuman.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
When a calendar ends, you create a new one. Seems simple to me.

The hoaxers have an easy time because there seems to be many who want their nonsense to be true for whatever reason. I don't think anyone who thought it through or looked into it ever believed the fake reports of the fake prophecies. Except perhaps the phonies selling the books and tapes.

For every gullible person there will always be a willing hoaxer / scammer to take advantage of them.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
When a calendar ends, you create a new one. Seems simple to me.

The hoaxers have an easy time because there seems to be many who want their nonsense to be true for whatever reason. I don't think anyone who thought it through or looked into it ever believed the fake reports of the fake prophecies. Except perhaps the phonies selling the books and tapes.

For every gullible person there will always be a willing hoaxer / scammer to take advantage of them.

Not all of them are profiteers, Terrance Mckenna (RIP) creator of time wave zero had his heart in the right place and his theory of novelty made decent sense, I believe he believed in what he spoke about.

No need to generalize all of them.

Oh, and by the way, if everyone believed that the 2012 date would cause a shift in consciousness towards a more peaceful society, it would work based on the placebo effect as skeptics call it. Not saying that is why I talk about it because it's not, I am just saying it is not all bad even if you think people are intentionally hoaxing others. Which is not the case, because a lot of people really do do it because they believe in what they are saying.

Yeah, this guy is just trying to sell books.... NOT, he lived what he preached till the day he died, before the whole 2012 idea blew up.

That doesn't mean you should believe all of his ideas, I am just saying it's never a good thing to generalize a whole group of people based on their beliefs. That is Nazi mentality.
edit on 1-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

To be fair in the first edition of The Invisible Landscape McKenna did not mention the 2012 date. It was not until after the GMT correlation was published and other New Age authors had jumped on the date that McKenna re-released his book to contain the December 21, 2012 date.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
And I went and got all prepared for the end of the world for nothing!

But, in all seriousness, while I don't believe the end is coming, you have to think that if it were to be right around the corner it would be in best interest of those in charge (government peoples and all that) to deny that anything will happen. Best to leave the masses surprised then things getting even crazier than they have been lately.

As for enlightenment, bring it on.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

No one survived Y2K... How can this be? what tribe are you from?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Phu'K! this mean now I gotta go back to STUDY for S.A.T! plus paying back all my credit debt!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's the antichrist, everybody knows...

But seriously, if any "god" is coming back before Christ himself its the antichrist.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
TBH Mother Shipton and Nostredamus both had prophecies relating to 2012 both of them said the sky would catch fire however they did not say weather this fire would be a fire of knowledge from us finally knowing for sure we are not alone in the universe or some other reason. I am personally of the belief that with its natural capacity to violence in the extreme with a limited number evolved beyond to be a peaceful people that mankind itself is a genetic warfare experiment released upon this planet by a Ainchent Alien civalisation.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Owner777

Two things. First, Nostradamus does not have a prophecy regarding 2012. This is a lie told by 2012 "researchers" to validate their work. Second, Mother Shipton never existed and all of her prophecies are "discovered" after the fact. In other words, she's a fake.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Two things. First, Nostradamus does not have a prophecy regarding 2012. This is a lie told by 2012 "researchers" to validate their work. Second, Mother Shipton never existed and all of her prophecies are "discovered" after the fact. In other words, she's a fake.

Actually that is where you are wrong people assume mother shipton did not exist because paul daniels bought the land where her cave is to make a theme park but she did exist and is well documented including the documentation of witch hunter ellis who burned her at the stake. Research history before you dismiss fact and speak in fiction

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I am almost certain that this conclusion had been drawn some years ago, and the date in November 2012 was, according to the Mayans, a date symbolizing "change," and the start of a new era.

I suppose I was naive to think that many people would agree with that, considering the number of individuals and groups who have a vested interest in the world ending on that date. I suspect that as the day itself draws nearer, we will see some crazy things from some of these people and groups.

I do not believe the world will end, as I mentioned above, but I am betting that there will be some extremely interesting events that occur, but whether they will be good or bad I can only speculate.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

While she may have been a real person she had no prophecies associated with the end of the world. In fact we don't get any publications from her until eighty years after her death and even then it only contains two prophetic verses. In regards to the EOTW verses they appear to be entirely fabricated. For example, the original EOTW prophecy starts off as:

The world to an end shall come
In eighteen hundred and eighty one.

In the 1970s this verse was once again published. However, this time it said:

The world to an end shall come
In nineteen hundred and eighty one.

Shipton's prophecies have been changed and fabricated to fit the times. She has no connection to 2012 outside of what "researchers" have lied about what she said.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
2012 will be like 2011, on January 1st 2013 I will wake up and go to work like any other day, unless I get the day off... this is y2k all over again, same thing happened in the year 1000, there will always be groups claiming one year is more significant than another, it's all just superstition, why would anyone in their right mind allow an ancient superstition affect their lives.

Unless a major war starts next year or even this year. I don't think the Mayan Calendar was referencing to the end of the world either but it seems that there is a build up, not on a cosmic scale, but on a man made scale which could be based around this prophecy and maybe a couple of others as well.

Don't broom this one under the rug, the Middle East is only warming up and it could be the big surprise everyone has been waiting for over the next couple of years. About the year 1000a.d, why don't you have a look up to around 1100a.d? Some changes did occur across europe including new monarchs in England.

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.jewishhistory.org.il...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I have to admit, I got swept up in all this 2012 stuff for a while myself. It's hard not to until you know better. The ice breaker for me was when the tribe elders did their cross country tour from NY to LA two months ago. I was reading up on it and found a few things that made me realize, they are just snake charmers trying to get paid right now. First thing was how they "supposedly" had all the 13 crystal skulls together for the first time and traveling with them for you to see in different cities across the US. The thing that made me start realizing something was not right about this was they were holding a big raffle in LA at the end of the journey, and the lucky winner gets to go home with one of the crystal skulls they are traveling with. I thought this couldn't be real at all. Well only after the whole event was over, they announced they didn't actually have all 13 like they were advertising, and only 3 were authentic, the one they gave away was a replica. Of course this information didn't come out until "after" it was all over. All the events you had to "buy" tickets to attend. If you made an extra generous donation, you could meet with one of the tribe elders off to the side for some one on one private time. Depending on how big your wallet was, was how much time you got with them.

They are nothing but a bunch of thieves trying to capitalize on a situation they will never be able to capitalize on again. Now all the sudden they found this new stone just by accident huh?? Please! The Mexican government has validated this new information. Yea OK! Like who in there right mind is going to trust a Government filled with corruption, who's own country is being flushed down the toilet, and their only source of income is tourism, which the whole 2012 thing is a huge part for their tourist industry right now. Not to mention, after next year, this all goes away, so of course they just found something new.

Show me the money!!!!!!!!! If you believe anything about the Mayans current elders, the message, or what the Mexican government is saying, let me know...I have a bridge I want to sell you!
edit on 2-12-2011 by Awoken4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph0en1x

So? Why is it that only primitive people can predict things? How come all these jungle bunnies have access to some special wisdom that no one else does? What a load of crap. If they were so smart how come they couldn't figure out that killing people as sacrifices is a waste of a life and does absolutely nothing. If they were so smart how come they're all gone? If they were so smart how come they let the Spaniards fake them out so badly?

Sorry.... They were not so very smart after all.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Yeah its a new era, they never claimed it to be end of the world.

second line

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join