It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan tablet decoding rules out 2012 apocalypse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There was never evidence in the first place to think it would be the end, it is just the beginning of a new cycle.

"At least that’s according to a German expert who says his decoding of a Mayan tablet with a reference to a 2012 date denotes a transition to a new era"

The Mayans were right! Look at human history.. Now look at the era we are entering into NOW, it's is a totally new thing. It's not a myth, you can say they got lucky with their prediction, but either way they were right.
edit on 1-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Outside on internet/TV/Media voodoo pop-culture Doom and Gloom theories can anybody give a reliable source where the Mayans predicted a "2012 apocalypse" in the first place?

Don't bother.
You cant.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph0en1x

An "Apocalypse" is a disclosure of something, hidden from the majority of mankind, in an Era dominated by Falsehood and misconception.

Food for thoughts,

Thruthseek3r

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph0en1x

How did they get that out of Gronemeyer and MacLeod's paper? Also, this isn't really news as the paper has been out since early last year and the research has been done since 2009. What was actually found was that Stuart's original translation regarding a prophecy was wrong. Instead what Tortuguero Monument 6 describes is a ceremony in which a priest will play the role of Bolon Yokte. However, other researchers are also coming to the conclusion that not only is this not a prophecy, but that it doesn't have anything to do with 2012 at all.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That goes back to the Dresden Codex. On the final page a great disaster is depicted. However, there is no context for this disaster. So, there's no way to know whether or not it portrayed a future or past event. This was then combined with the claim from the Popol Vuh that the world had ended four times before after 13 baktun. However, this claim only appears in the Popol Vuh, a post-Columbian source which has been found to have been influenced by Christian beliefs.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So the world will not end but some entity will come down from the stars? Or sumthin'?
Got it now...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

If you are ever in a writing mood, I would love to see a thread offering a better explanation of how Mayans segmented the timeline... I know they were top notch time keepers, and I have always marveled at the use of some of their tools used to keep historical records (the knots thing - I can't remember the name) ... I hope you don't mind the suggestion...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saltarello
So the world will not end but some entity will come down from the stars? Or sumthin'?
Got it now...

The world has gone through many eras and ages, new era doesn't mean anything overtly supernatural like you are suggesting.

The proliferation of the internet alone marks a new era in human history. 1. Proliferation of internet. 2. Globalization. 3. Cell phones. The list goes on, this is a new age, obviously. Also we are also clearly entering into a new world economic order, just look at the IMF and the fed's international bail outs in recent years. Think about it, no need for an entity to come to fulfill the prediction.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thanks to the financial crash of 2008 and some other major events this millenium people ARE waking up, a lot of them. They are now willing to accept their government is not always the straight-forward do-gooders they have believed it to be and that the media is not always reporting an accurate picture, certainly not the whole picture. People are ready to accept things have become corrupt and some changes are necessary.

The "apocalypse" idea comes in by the peoples awakening perhaps bucking the established system, change and opposition to change from both sides, or we might merely see these recent decades as that time represented for our whole technological and communications coming-of-age. It likely will not be the "end of the world" but the approximate timeframe seems just about right for some major re-adjustments whether it be the "people" demanding reform from their leaders or the leaders introducing their "new world order", and the most significant day may likely not be that specific calendar day but I think many of us feel certain a new time is dawning very soon.

As with any calendar, life goes on after the end of the year. It moves almost seamlessly from the end of one year into the new year. The only thing that marks the passing-through is our traditional celebrations and holiday. 21 December 2012 marks the end of the Mayan Calendar, the dawn of The Age of Aquarius (just depending what system you use to derive the exact time, and this one is close enough for me), the winter solstice of that common year, is the traditional western holiday season, and leads up to our common calendar New Year. I'm sure I will make it a twelve-day celebration.

Whether the Mayan calendar has any more signicance in my daily affairs than the Chinese calendar does not have to be so. We've made a big deal out of it and so will I by celebrating it. Any time is a good time for a fiesta if one decides to make it so.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
will be same as these stones:
and with the hype and global awakening - maybe we really will have shift of conciousness and start a nw way of live if we see we are 1. not alone and 2. created to life and not to destroy ourselfs

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Thanks for reminding me.

Wasn't this disputed image supposedly also there once upon a time? Apparently if it existed at all it was supposedly destroyed during WW-II, If it's related then the Codex was speaking about a previous calamity IMO..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7345fe84ebc6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Really? They look the same to me and if your referring to OWS that is just another trap.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Is that supposed to depict a 'deluvian' event, like "Noah's flood?" It was among the first things that came to my mind. But then how much of this stuff was etched after the Conquistadors showed up masquerading as Gods?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Right and my take on this whole subject remains the same, if you think about how their known culture did disappear, how what they knew as life has been forever changed then it is pretty good insight on their part. Now bringing this up to date I feel as if some major EQ will happen and all that will remain of the place where they knew life to exist will be erased.

As we observe tribal customs eradicated and the forests depleted, one can assume that what they saw has and is coming to pass.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Is that supposed to depict a 'deluvian' event, like "Noah's flood?" It was among the first things that came to my mind. But then how much of this stuff was etched after the Conquistadors showed up masquerading as Gods?

Again. It's legitimacy is disputed because all we have is a photo. The Controversy comes from some who attempted to connect it to "Noah's Flood/deluvian" event.

I'm of the belief it depicts something entirely different and unrelated to the "Bible"

Before the Mayan there were the Olmecs who many believe the later Mayans inherited their mathematics/science etc from. Whether true or not. Almost all the remaining Large Olmec artifacts stella's and stone carvings all appear to be remnant pieces all broken around the edges as if they were part of a much older temple complex which for some reason no longer exist.

Just a pet theory of mine, That is that those pieces were blown free and later recovered as the survivors of some sort of Titanic Natural disaster tried to recover and rebuild their shattered society/culture and or civilization.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
For what it's worth, I've been tracking fireball reports for nearly a year in this thread:

Welcome to the shooting gallery: fireball incidence 2005:1.28/day 2011:4.94/day

The norm for decades was around 1-1.5 fireballs reported over the US per day, today's average is 4.3. The slope of the graph for the last six years has become damn near vertical this year.

I suspect that the "Mayan" calendar (which they got from the Olmec, who got it from who-knows-where), is an artifact from the Clovis culture, which was wiped out in the Younger Dryas impacts some 13,000 years ago.

If you look on Google Earth for the Carolina Bays, you will see a string of impact craters leading towards Canada, where the remains of a comet impacted the Laurentide ice sheet and released massive amounts of fresh water into the Atlantic. Again, check Google Earth and look at the St. Lawrence where it enters the sea and you'll see the evidence of the outflow carved into the ocean floor.

What I suspect is that the impacts occurred over an extended period, long enough for the people of the time to figure out the orbit and understand that it was coming back in thousands of years. While there was little they could do to save themselves, they could at least send a warning into the future in the form of a countdown calendar, the only possible thing that might survive the ages intact.

If my surmise is correct, the number of fireballs and meteorites will continue to increase, peaking in December of next year. While none of them may be individually large enough to do more than local damage, if enough strike the planet over an extended period they will have an enormous collective impact upon the climate and world economies.

And there is always the possibility that a few of them will be large enough to seriously endanger millions of people: not planet-killers or ELEs, but enough to change the world enormously and usher in a new age.

The causes that led to the extinction of most of the larger mammals – also referred as Megafauna- that roamed the Pleistocene world are still highly controversial and fiercely discussed. 35 mammals and 19 bird genera became extinct during the transition from the Pleistocene to the Holocene 10.000 years ago, in the last decades many different hypotheses were proposed to explain this event, from human overkill to climate change, more unusual was an idea largely publicized by mass media in 2007.

Geophysical studies presented in spring 2007 suggested that perhaps an extraterrestrial meteorite vaporized in the Earth’s atmosphere caused the extinction of the North American Megafauna and associated human cultures some 13.000 years ago. This idea was not all new, already in 1990 archaeologist William Topping found in Michigan spherules in glacial sediments – supposedly of extraterrestrial origin, even if he and nuclear physicist Richard Firestone suggested a nearby supernova as origin of these features. Based on this discovery Firestone later developed as alternative explanation the meteorite hypothesis, according to him the hypothesis could not only explain the extinction of the large mammals, but also the observed fluctuation of the Younger Dryas at the end of the Pleistocene and the beginning of the Holocene. The Younger Dryas is a 1.500 years (12.900-11.600 cal.B.P.) long cooling event, recognized especially in Europe by the advance of glaciers and a vegetation shift. The Younger Dryas is a “freak” event – unique of the termination of the last glacial – similar events are not recorded in the ice cores of Antarctica for the previous glacial phases.

blogs.scientificamerican.com... y-of-geology/2011/07/27/the-younger-dryas-impact-hypothesis/

edit on 1-12-2011 by apacheman because:add supporting link
edit on 1-12-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Well the mayans where a big believer in greeting their gods with human sacrifice what a good excuse for emptying some of the over crowded prisons in the UK and US to give this ainchent mayan god a propper greeting like he deserves Im sure 30000 or so should keep him happy and save the tax payer a large amount of coinage

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
Whether the Mayan calendar has any more signicance in my daily affairs than the Chinese calendar does not have to be so. We've made a big deal out of it and so will I by celebrating it. Any time is a good time for a fiesta if one decides to make it so.

I am with you on that! Regardless if a person thinks their prophecy was in fact a prophecy or just arbitrary, we might as well make it into a good thing.

I say the world celebrates the 2012 date like a near year, and we all make life long resolutions instead, like a giant positive new year's resolution.

Some will say the change was a self fulfilling prophecy, new agers will say the same but we have a different concept of "self"

Either that, or we can just go along with the establishment's drums of war for WW3, honestly I prefer the drums of the "dirty smelly hippies" over nuclear radiation.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by SLAYER69

(big quote intentional to include picture)

According to one Codex translation, "The Popol Vuh" there was a great flood. Link

"The third failed race, people fashioned from wood, were destroyed in a universal flood."

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Looks like were another failed race as well.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join