It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Dakota to vote on abolishing ALL property taxes!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hell yeah! Great people there... Hopefully it gets on the ballot!

The Secret Revolution in North Dakota

North Dakota citizens may abolish property taxes, allowing them more control over government spending. Nearly 30,000 signatures were collected to place the people's initiative on the ballot in June, 2012 that would constitutionally abolish all property taxes in North Dakota.

This landmark measure supports property rights, small government and freedom advocates around the country.

If the initiative is successful, North Dakota will be the first state to abolish all property taxes, both state and local, and will provide a model for the other states to do the same. North Dakota may be the first state to kick off the property rights revolution!

Epic. The REAL small governments people are in North Dakota, not Texas. Go North Dakota!

Of course all the people who love the taxes so they get their government cheese are all up in arms...

Since the initiative qualified for the ballot, several city and county groups have come out in opposition to the measure, in direct violation of state law. The hysteria coming from government leaders include threats that this will be the end of public education, fire and police protection will be terminated, and there will be no more roads (remember that roads are funded through the gas tax).

Lover of big government can move to New York or somewhere else.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
That is important, but I don't think it will pass.

The reason being, that the government is looking for more revenue right now. It might pass in a few years, but not anytime soon. Say 10 years from now., if ever.

I think all property taxes should be abolished, it takes away people owning of the property.
It just puts people in a forever rental state.

If this does get serious attention though, it would be very smart to begin buying land in that area,
I think all land will be bought up shortly, because you could own it forever, and rent out properties without the worry of propety taxation. The price of land would skyrocket, I think as demand increases.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
They've tried this a couple of times in years past if I recall.

They abolish all property taxes I'm moving to ND. Assuming they dont just spread the pain out in every other facet of life to make up the shortfall.

Trouble is that government will always find some way to keep the money coming in. They'll up registration fees and permit fees and utility charges and taxes and sales taxes and even just make # up out of thin air. I lived in a city that would periodically manufacture charges out of thin air and send out bill to every address just to see who would pay and who wouldnt. Thinks like "surplus snow removal correction" fees and "groundwater displacement" fees because you had a roof on your house.

Living with government is like living with a trigger happy kleptomaniac constantly hounding you. His antics might be funny and ridiculous at first but you never know when he'll get mad and squeeze that trigger.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

The reason being, that the government is looking for more revenue right now. It might pass in a few years, but not anytime soon. Say 10 years from now., if ever.

It will be up to the people, not the government. So it might just pass.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
OP great find. It was just a matter of time this happened. Don't you worry others states are watching some more nervous that others because they know this is coming to their doorstep. For so long states have told lies about how certain services are being paid for and have been storing away the excess from property taxes calling it profit. Guess what? Texas is one of those profitable states, lying about what funds are paying for what services. So I guess Texas would be one of those nervous states.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas

I think all property taxes should be abolished, it takes away people owning of the property.

If this does get serious attention though, it would be very smart to begin buying land in that area,
I think all land will be bought up shortly, because you could own it forever, and rent out properties without the worry of propety taxation. The price of land would skyrocket, I think as demand increases.

I beg the differ with you, right now people are feed up with being lied to and robbed by their "governments". Yes I agree with you property taxes should be abolished. I like your term, "forever rental state" because that's exactly what people are living in state rental property.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Since you mention Texas...
We actually had a woman run for Governor (Debra Medina) here in Texas who wanted to dump the prop tax.
Problem was the same though. If you get rid of property taxes how do you pay for education? You might have to raise taxes in other areas probably. I think people enjoy not paying a state tax, and they didn't want to lose that, not sure.

But, if ND has a way to make it work and not lose services, more power to them I say.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Surely the government will just increase taxes else where, right?
I moved from Louisiana where property taxes are pretty low to Texas where property taxes are very high, but I don't pay any state income tax now.

So the argument is really more about the principle of paying taxes on property you own.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I always tell people that they dont own thier homes, they just rent the land from the government ... what a refreshing change this would be!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

If this passes, I will see what it will take for me to lift my house off the ground and move there!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Property taxes equate to renting real property from the state. This means you NEVER own. Obviously, this is as unConstitutional as anything ever rammed on the American People.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Another big win for the Roughrider State assuming it passes, but how could a majority of the people say no? Do not forget it is also the state of North Dakota that has the only completely state run bank in the United States, originally intended to protect the farmers against the bankers buying up foreclosed land in the early 20th century it continues on to this day as a true success story. Check it out here.

North Dakota actually has more jobs than it does people, believe it or not! It also has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, cost of living in the United States. Very rural, rustic, and populist the state is known for its folksy atmosphere and rolling fields. How does it stay so great? Well the winters are brutal, we are talking temperatures of 16°F (-9°C) / -2°F (-19°). If you can handle miles of farms, ranches, and endless prairie mixed with long cold winters then go for it.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
North Dakota is also floating on a sea of oil. Their economy is going well. Unemployment is around 4% or lower. With oil companies coming in there they'll be making money hand over fist and can probably do without the property tax.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Why don't they just abolish private property ownership all together?

If there's no property, there's only land...you can't tax land but you can tax property.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Good for them hope it passes property taxes is one of the most evil things ever created work all your life pay out your butt and don't pay those taxes and you've just lost a life time achievement people hate banks they say the banks own them not true.

This is one law everyone can get behind because there is no sense of it have ever existing in the first place.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Nice post VItch. I heard there are jobs in N Dakota too but brrrr it's cold!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Why don't they just abolish private property ownership all together?

If there's no property, there's only land...you can't tax land but you can tax property.

Then the govt can run you off any time it wants without taxes or emminent domain as an excuse. Is that really what you want?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Originally posted by KingAtlas

I beg the differ with you, right now people are feed up with being lied to and robbed by their "governments". Yes I agree with you property taxes should be abolished. I like your term, "forever rental state" because that's exactly what people are living in state rental property.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

Yes, and I believe that it really is a sign that communism is partially here because communism abolishes private property.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

my buddy just got a job as a geologist working for a oil company out there the problem he said is yes there are more jobs then people but unlike the rest of america they dont have the housing or even hotel system to house all these workers coming from out of state (montana,south dakota,oregon etc).
the only reason my friend could take the job was he owns an rv so they let him stay on the site in it so free rent good pay and decent place to live (if you can handle cold)seems like north dakota will be a good place to be pretty soon

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

They can't do it. It's land, it's no ones property. They have just as much right to it as you do, which is none.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join