It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey ATSers, OWSers and other in need of work!!!! (Seriously)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
In 1980 when the bottom dropped out of the oil market and it became worse than it is now with 21+% mortgage rates, I witnessed many freinds let their families go without and loose their homes because they would not move where the work is. I moved to a new town and went right back to work, no problem, while they sat and lost everything because they would not move.

I lost an 80K job that go round and was back at work a couple of weeks later in another State at a new profession while some of the people I knew sat there and did nothing.

I think the I cannot move thing is the same as saying I don't want to work. Sad for people who support families who let them suffer due to that. Truly sad.

There are right now something like 8 million openings for skilled labor. Carpenters, Electricians, Welders etc.. Same thing, nobody wants to get their hands dirty. So bad here the Carpenters Union now pays for the education and training just to lure people up here. I'm amazed by that since they earn over 100K now. As much as a person with a Masters Degree. They run constant Ads to get local youth to take the training for very high paying jobs.

The other odd thing is that kids refuse to take math or the sciences and those with Degree's in those fields have an unemployment rate under 3% last I read. The kids are taking the wrong courses and their Parents don't seem to be parenting anymore and helping them to not make mistakes because they want easy courses.

It's certainly a different wold now. A lazy useless one in many cases. Give me, give me, give me is all they know. If somebody is not working because they are to special to relocate, nobody and certainly not the taxpayers should help them.

It's the government fault for buying all their votes with handouts. Same as spoiling a child and ruining them. Lots of kids in adult bodies today.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Oh definitely. I really envy your talent--I wish I also had the ability to make baseless generalizations with no regard for facts.

I'll say it again: I'm glad you're putting your narrow mindedness to use.

I'm glad you are willing to stand in opposition to open mindedness because us thinking people just don't have the ability to dumb ourselves down enough to paint with such broad strokes--I would definitely support your efforts though and hope that you can one day change society so that we can all make unchallenged baseless generalizations.

See, that wasn't very nice and that's kinda what you're doing on this thread.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Great thread for a serious suggestion! I'd note something to add to this. The #1 state for lowest unemployment right at the moment is North Dakota. Not because it's ..Well... North Dakota
but for the same reasons your talking about the P.A. area. Oil seems to be a real serious boom in certain areas at the moment. I've been told $80,000 for truck drivers up there right now, for example. All kinds of work though. Not just special licenses or education type.

I suppose it would be a great thing for someone young, without many other prospects and no serious ties like a house to sell or major personal belongings to worry about moving. Like..Why, you're right! Occupy folks could probably find some rather good paying jobs and come back to fight the system with money in short order.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

Honestly about 70% according to polls (I don't like polls either) of OWS'rs are employed.

Forgive me for replying out of order here. My first post to the thread was a direct reply to the OP and before I got to reading where the thread might have meandered from the original point.
Although this line brought me up short. It really did. Where is this coming from as a number? This isn't something I'd seen.

Now I'm not doubting you...but something crossed my mind. Perhaps we (those on either side of the OWS situation) need to take a second and make sure we're talking about the same thing when we're using the term. OWS in the sense I use it refers exclusively to the 24/7 camp protest locations with those that just turn out now and then being an important, but distant second. By definition that would make a 70% employment rate for the camp side of OWS a practical impossibility. 24/7 occupation just doesn't work..unless it's work through a laptop perhaps? Now that might be another part of that figure.

Anyway... I'm wondering if your thinking more of the OWS protest side that is growing outside the camps...as many of them are going away and not reestablishing themselves in any meaningful way? If OWS is really picking up support and such outside the street element and camp population, such as the early possible signs of a University movement...then it will start changing everything about how OWS is perceived and how effective it could become. Hmmmm...

edit on 1-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: Correction.....

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

That's lovely, but seeing as how I am a woman, that's not going to work very well. Because, realistically, they're not going to hire me unless I look like an Amazon.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Nobody is getting those jobs because those companies want 2 years of experience and random certificates.

And, no, they will not under any circumstances move an ounce on those requirements.

Companies consider entry-level to be 2-3 years experience these days.

We don't lack skilled labor because people aren't willing to work; we lack skilled labor because companies aren't being realistic about said labor.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

edit on 1-12-2011 by grubblesnert because: What?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by Kryties

Its people like YOU that demand everyone pay your way because you have NO CONCEPT of taking care of yourself, you're probably used to having everything handed to you, and when its time to provide yourself, you throw a tantrum like the REST of the OWSers and demand someone give you a handout

LOL, now I know for a fact you make crap up just to belittle others and make yourself feel big and tough.

I happen to have a job, I work my ass off 6 days a week 12 hour shifts just to stay afloat you arrogant ignoramus. I support OWS because I am sick of just keeping my head above water only to watch others make trillions by squashing the little man.

Get a #ing clue mate.
edit on 1/12/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

Sounds like someone is having a cathartic experience

You choose your lot in this life. So, if you don't like your work schedule or pay make a change!
Go to school, get a skill, or perhaps learns some anger control and people skills. I have done all of the aforementioned.
It works

Now there's a clue for ya "Mate"

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

wepartypatriot s.com
This is where I got the poll from. I don't neccassarily agree with the contrast against the TPM as I think both could agree on some things long enough to make some sweeping changes for the betterment of us all, but, there it is.

Just for clarity purpose I personally say OWS when referring to the people physically in NYC. Others I use their city name. Or in general, Occupy.

I'm surprised you haven't heard the stories of people sleeping in the park at night, going home in the morning, showering then off to work or school, return to liberty square after. Anyway...I'm sure that will get twisted somehow too. Fact is they could be achieving massive feats of humanity and people will still find a way to hurl insults and generalizations. I agree with one of the posters above, who are the lazy ones in this thread?
edit on 1-12-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I'm surprised you haven't heard the stories of people sleeping in the park at night, going home in the morning, showering then off to work or school, return to liberty square after.

Actually, no I hadn't heard that. I've heard of many doing the opposite in coming for the evenings for moral support and some volunteer time then going back home to sleep for work in the morning...but not those actually making the sacrifice to sleep there then go home long enough to shower on the way to work in the morning.

That is the kind of major aspect that could make a difference in public perceptions if it were pushed hard into the stories being presented to the wider public. Occupy/OWS people all complain about the very bad coverage and bias stories and they have a point, to be sure. However, without some credible and coordinated efforts to present another side to counter it.....well..that is what the public carries as the image.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Why should it matter when a person chooses to occupy/protest? Sleeping there or at home neither adds nor subtracts to the value of someone standing up for their beliefs.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I know a few people that have been attending OWS rallies.
One is a adjunct professor at UGA.
One designs games for a big company.
One is a professional translator, he just finished his 2nd book- he's about 60. The other is his wife. She works part time.

I don't know any OWS folks that are unemployed.
I'm unemployed. I don't have the gas money to spend to get to a rally, if I wanted to go.
I spent the day working with my plants (got a basket of tomatoes!), grating cheese, shelling nuts, cleaning my house and listing stuff on eBay.

Which brings me to a weird thing I've been wrestling with lately- Just what IS work?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Which brings me to a weird thing I've been wrestling with lately- Just what IS work?

Well, my opinions haven't been too popular so far, but if you ask me, what you are doing is more productive and more like "work" than what the adjunct professor likely does.

I know a lot of adjunct professors (including my brother, and he would agree), and basically that is the same as being unemployed. You get a lot of clout and a couple of thousand dollars salary per semester to go teach some students an entry level course out of text book that they could have read themselves.

Gardening, and surviving from scratch is a lost skill, and an honorable one.

Also you said "been attending" which is way different than "camped out."

I'm sure a lot of successful people occasionally visit the rallies, offer moral support, bring the kids out on Saturday, etc. BUT those people are not out there at 8 a.m. on a Tuesday, or 11 p.m. either. Big difference between "attending" and "occupying."

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Hello thought provoker.
Thanks for the heads up on the jobs.
I know you are probably sincere.

But here is something to provoke some more thought for you.:
"New Orleans Louisiana " anagramed is: "O, a well on a sea in ruins"

Now I'm not gonna tell everyone (for now) what some anagrams are
for the phrase "The Marcellus Shale Formation".
All I can say is there's a whole lot of BAD
I'M TALKING NUCLEAR BAD!

Anyway ,thanks ,but I think I,ll pass on the on the shale drilling.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

Yes, it's true, what you have heard about North Dakota. There are jobs to be had by the thousands, but no housing to speak of. What little- and I do mean little, housing is available, is very very expensive. Accordingly, services and grocery stores have raised their prices to match the new found wealth so many seem to have. With it, you have big city crime, unfortunately.

The deal is, if you are without work for long enough, you will move to wherever the job is. Folks just aren't desperate enough yet, but that day is coming soon. If you are even considering it, I would definitely go to where the jobs are now, vs waiting for the inevitable stampede.

The only piece of advice I can give is this....do not come up here with a tent and sleeping bag, expecting to "rough it". -55F and winds of 50 mph and more during winter storms, is just not a pleasant experience, and one that you probably wouldn't survive, with just a sleeping bag and tent to protect you. Expect to pay top dollar for everything, including rentals (where available) man camp housing, RV sites, grocery stores, department stores, everything. I would expect similar to be true in Pennsylvania, once things get ramped up a bit more. Competition for limited resources drives the prices up dramatically. These towns that are involved just do not have the resources to keep up with the current levels of growth. We have to add the flooding disasters that hit nearly every major town in North Dakota this past spring and summer, too, to put added strain on already strained resources. I've heard it said it's like a modern version of the Wild West. From what I've personally seen over the past few years, I'd have to agree.

Good luck to all those hunting for jobs- they are indeed out there, but you have to be flexible to get what you want. Your own mindset is what will determine if it will be a good experience you can learn from, or a bad experience from your own worst nightmares.

Take care all!
SK

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Why should it matter when a person chooses to occupy/protest? Sleeping there or at home neither adds nor subtracts to the value of someone standing up for their beliefs.

The difference is whether it's a small protest movement as it honestly is right now by any fair measure on the numbers alone or whether is really does represent a far wider segment of the public.

I don't think that can really be taken seriously by how many homeless, who would be there anyway and WILL be there long after OWS leaves and stops caring about them, happen to be there for a head count.

Now, average/low to middle class working people making serious sacrifices that others can see for what they are in support of Occupy or OWS itself WOULD be taken quite seriously because those people are going out of their way and giving for their convictions, even when that giving hurts.

Enough of that for enough time and Occupy would find more and more of the public becoming honestly curious to learn more and give the whole movement a fair hearing for further serious support which would matter.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RavenSpeaks

Yes, I am VERY serious about this. The way I came around to the concept of posting it and OWS may not please everyone but the intention is the same.

Get people working. For the good of the USA-and the world.

We must resist Gov't take over of our daily lives and choices (Medical, college loans, housing loans, etc etc).

No, I am dead serious. People get some money in their pockets will make them less apt to be sitting on their butts doing nothing.

I wish I were a younger man and could get into this. It is my Growing Up area... I wish I could... but reality keeps me where I am (Age, Job,Kids, college loans, house mortgage, health etc etc-Life)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I am in central PA, not far from their corporate office. In my area, there are jobs galore. There are stores/restaurants with help wanted signs in the windows. Within a 30 mile radius there are more jobs than people to fill them. These are not fracking jobs, but regular jobs. Accounting, management, mechanics, computer techs, laborers, general labor, you name it. There are areas where there is work. Using an excuse of moving from family, etc is just a copout. I moved 400 miles so I could have work and provide for my family. I don't buy the excuses. Either you want to work, or you want a handout, period!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Do you even know or understand what Calfrac does and that it and companies like it are literally vibrating the surface of the earth off it's core? Haven't you seen the fracking maps and the USGS proof that it causes earthquakes? A job there would be like selling your soul to the devil.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join