It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Drought Next Summer 'Almost Inevitable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
news.sky.com...

A drought in the UK next summer is almost inevitable because rainfall in some parts of the country has been so low, the Government has warned.
The Environment Department has said a huge swathe of south, central and eastern England is at high risk of severe water shortages if there is a drier than average winter.

The area has suffered the driest year since records began, with just 70% of the long-term average rainfall.

Reservoirs and groundwater reserves are well below normal levels, and South East Water has applied for a drought order to increase the amount it takes from rivers.

news.sky.com...

I live in the SE and i've definately noticed a real lack of rain this past year.... in fact this last few years but this last year has been real low!! if you watch the video on skynews, you will see that the main river which serves SE is like 8 metres below where it should be.... now that is LOW!!!

What can be done about this? I reckon less building and more tree planting as i've said on many occassions before but what are the Governments plans? Yes, you've guessed it.... to build more homes!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Well building more homes is inevitable, they want people in the country because more people = more taxes, building causes more jobs and helps boost the economy, so that one is a given.

On the drought note though, we have this every year, just like the heat wave we always seem to get in summertime, or the big freeze we always get in winter. Its just sky news looking for a story.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
Well building more homes is inevitable, they want people in the country because more people = more taxes, building causes more jobs and helps boost the economy, so that one is a given.

On the drought note though, we have this every year, just like the heat wave we always seem to get in summertime, or the big freeze we always get in winter. Its just sky news looking for a story.

You have got to be kidding or are very ignorant of what is happening in the world.
Can you justify your comments to make them more credible?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well I know we have had little rainfall but the reservoirs around here seem to be doing fine and the marshes between the downland is still pretty wet and soggy.. usual give away if we are in drought conditions..

On a personal note I'll worry when the dew ponds run dry

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What needs to be justified? The government needs to show some sort of effort to try and create jobs, no matter how small, so a building plan is a perfect way to do it. Plus once the houses are sold, banks get more money via mortgages and peoples debt, there's nothing that needs to be justified here.

On the weather note, we hear this every year. At most we will probably get a hosepipe ban.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
50 Years ago, this would be catastophic for the UK, Today they marelly import from countries with food.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

I think you are wrong on this one.... i've witnessed the lack of rain myself!!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well of course the UK Drought Next Summer is almost inevitable... they can't force it rain by natural means...

edit on 12/1/11 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Holywood flooding

A family of five has been rescued from a cottage near Dumfries after being cut off by flood waters for two days. The only access road to their home in Holywood was engulfed by several feet of water after Tuesday's downpour. Firefighters deployed river rescue equipment to move Heidi Gordon, her partner Billy Harvey, and children Shauney, Mitchell and Zander to safety. Many parts of the region have been badly affected by significant rainfall over the past few days.

Scotland weather warning, 30th nov

Forecasters are warning of more heavy rain in parts of Scotland which have already been affected by flooding. A Met Office amber warning for "heavy and persistent" rain comes into force across Strathclyde, Central, Tayside and Fife and also south west Scotland from 18:00 until 06:00 on Thursday.

Heavy rain/floods NI/South-west England/Wales, 25th oct

Parts of south-west England, Northern Ireland and Wales that suffered flooding because of torrential rain on Monday have been returning to normal. The wettest place was Cardinham, in Cornwall, which received about half a month's rain - 2.7in (68.4mm). Flood alerts remain in place on the North Sea coast, and around the Upper River Tamar in south-west England. A flood warning and alerts are in place in north-east Scotland, as forecasts suggest heavy rain is due there

All this in under a month. Yes I know it doesn't have London or the south east, but the UK is a small country, im sure we could sort something out between the flooding area's and the area's soon to be in drought.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

i live in the north west and we get lots of rain in fact it is raining now , so i don't see any change ,
the biggest problem is that the water companies are not maintaining the reservoirs and pipe lines , they are more concerned in the huge profits for their foreign share holders .

we should renationalize all the utilities and put the profits of these utilities back into maintaining the systems

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Is this the same agency that ran with the story that British children "will never again know snow," the year before the blizzards?

jw

top topics

join