It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How old is our Universe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

If you have not watched this show, you may want to.

Through The Wormhole
Season 1 Episode 4.
'What Happened Before the Beginning?'
science.discovery.com...

The big bang theory holds that the entire universe was once packed tightly into an unimaginably dense and tiny space, known as a "singularity." That is, until [color=CFFFFA]roughly 13.7 billion years ago, when a colossal burst of energy and pressure started to give rise to entire worlds, galaxies and interstellar particles, forming the universe as we know it today.

Successfully answering the question of what existed before the big bang would require bridging the gap between the so-far mutually incompatible worlds of relativism and quantum mechanics. But even though that bridge has yet to be constructed, theories abound.

[color=CFFFFA]"Our universe could have either popped into existence or collided with another universe," theoretical physicist Michio Kaku told scienceline.org. [color=CFFFFA]"Big Bangs happen all the time."

Building off that idea, cosmologists Paul Steinhardt and Neil Turok believe they have the answer, in what they've termed a "cyclic universe" — that our three-dimensional universe is but a much smaller part of an even larger multi-universe, one that exists in a space of 11 dimensions and contains other universes within.

[color=CFFFFA]The lynchpin holding this idea together is "M-theory," or the idea that our universe, as well as other universes, is actually a membrane. The big bang is the aftermath of a collision between two of these membranes.

Other than saying that 'Through The Wormhole' is an interesting series, I give no personal opinion at this time.

edit on 12/1/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Thanks, I will watch that later, I hope it is informative.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Thanks, I will look into it.
It seems to fit my "theory"

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Explanation: The numbers come from my memory of reading scientifc journals and magazines also for the past 30+yrs and were based on CGI simulations done by the peer reviewed articles authours.

ANY errors are those of my own memory and I didn't and don't have the time to confirm them with links to such information. I recommend doing a search for that data on your own!

I apologize for any technical errors but I do think the basic premise is sound even if the numbers I supplied are wrong!

Now as the rate of time in these voids is unrestricted by gravity ... the rate of expansion [aka inflation ..or the inherent momentum of the big bang] is also not limited and the bigger the void the less and less gravity and therefor greater and greater rate of expansion!

Basically the voids will continue to expand at a greater rate than the super galactic filaments which will compress into a smaller area due to local gravity.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Yes that helps a lot, thanks again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join