It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Wrecks 1 million dollar car. Insurance refuseing to pay 2.2 million dollar claim.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
So this guy from Texas borrows a million dollars to buy a Bugatti veyron puts a 2.2 Million dollar insurance policy on it. The car then ends up in a swamp and the insurance company is suspicious and dosent wanna pay up check out This link to the story and tell me what you think is this dude tryin to screw the insurance or are they trying to stiff him?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

Based solely on the article I agree with the insurance company. To me this situation smells of insurance fraud. I am not a fan of insurance companies in the least, as I feel the concept of insurance is a scheme.

In this case though, I agree with the insurance company.

Now, if you will excuse me I feel dirty and need to go shower.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Funny...the judge doesn't wanna touch this one
let the jury decide.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Dear JROCK2527,

I agree with the judge, it certainly deserves to be looked at and not just accepted. I will leave it to the jury to decide what the facts are as we cannot know from an article alone.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Reminds me of a fraud case near where I live a few years ago. A fairly well off guy bought some collectible cigars, insured them for several hundred thousand dollars. Eventually he filed a claim saying all of the cigars were lost to a series of small fires.

The insurance company later found that he smoked the cigars and refused to pay.

Still makes me laugh to think about it!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Based on what you posted I can say that no insurance company on earth will take kindly to someone insuring an object for more than its worth. Maybe he should try and drain that swamp?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I remember back when this happened. Talk about being at the right place and right time with a camera rolling.

Apparently the Bugatti driver claimed he was swerving to avoid a pelican, however no pelican can be seen in the video of the incident and it appears as if the driver slowly drove into the water. A better claim would have been that he had fallen asleep. With that said, I'm willing to bet that he will either lose the case or only be reimbursed for the value of the car (not the double amount that he was insured for).

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I WANT ONE cool car .
Ps maybe the dude mistook the swamp for a car wash

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The video says that 100 cars have been ordered already and they will make 200 more.

I wasn't aware that there were over 100 people wealthy enough to blow over a million on a car.

I'm in the wrong business obviously.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

They were willing to take his money. They should pay.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cdnutz44

That is a classic sotry here. the stories some people come up with, I mean he was honest they were lost in a series of small fires. he just forgot to mention that he was the one that started the fires.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Regardless of this particular situation, one thing for sure is that insurance companies LOVE to take your money, but when it comes time for them to make good on a claim, they will fight tooth and nail to not pay out a dime.

They spend a million dollars a week on asinine and irritating advertising, but when it comes to legitimate claims, they dont want to pay.

But this particular case does seem suspect...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Suprised no one posted the video yet.

edit on 2-12-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This guy should be hung, drawn and quartered for treating a Veyron like that. Smells like a scam. How could he expect to get twice what it is actually worth.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

thanks for the vid. you can clearly see it was intentional. He slowed down and slowly glided over with no attempts to correct he got in jus deep enough to flood the engin n electric. star for Sublime playin in the background tho lol

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
This guy should be hung, drawn and quartered for treating a Veyron like that. Smells like a scam. How could he expect to get twice what it is actually worth.

He tried to Silverstein the insurance companies.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Nah.. that is definitely fraud. First off, anyone who is going to borrow 1.05 million for a car would take better care. Second, he borrowed the money from an individual, not a bank. And he listed the person who loaned the money as the recipient of the insurance funds.

Sounds to me like the guy lending the money is the guy behind the fraud. I mean, people who know about the Veyron would never EVER treat that car like that. There are only 300 in the world, and they will never be made again. Volkswagon made those cars at a loss. A big loss. It was more of an experiment to see if they could get a street legal car to beat a McClaren F1's speed record.

The only thing that would have made this story worse is if this idiot crashed a Veyron Super Sport.

Seriously? You would swerve into a swamp to avoid a pelican????

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Seriously? You would swerve into a swamp to avoid a pelican????

If it were me it would be all about bye by pelican. Its a lot cheaper to pay a fine and scrape some pelican guts from your bumper.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Blatent fraud IMO.

The guy needs his head checking if he thought he was going to get away with that

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
yeah it is obvious that he purpously drove it into the swamp. Sucks for him that someone just happend to be filming it at the time.

<<   2 >>

join