It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Skeptic OBE-ers?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Ah, I think I see where you are coming from. Makes sense.

I imagine the lucid dream technique works, though I'm the same as you, I've only had a few Lucid dreams, and from what I understand inducing them from a waking state is just about as difficult as inducing an OBE. As far as becoming aware within a dream, that happens to me semi-frequently, but I always snap awake right away. I've been trying to play with it though and see if I can at least maintain awareness within the dream long enough to snap to waking awareness while maintaining paralysis.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt there are psychological blockages. I was quite shaken after my experience, the paranormal was right in front of my face. But, I'd always considered it a good thing, and a stepping stone to more. Perhaps subconsciously I'm still fearful though. And, like most people, I'm incredibly impatient. I get fed up waiting for a Youtube video to buffer, let alone trying night after night to induce sleep paralysis. I know most will say that's a poor attitude to have, and I have no doubt it affects me subconsciously, but when I'm in the moment I take it very seriously.

Very interesting story about your friend. Typically, the harder the substance, the more inclined I am to believe that the experience is just a hallucination. But with alcohol, I bet it probably would help, even if just with relaxation. Probably wouldn't even have to go overboard.

You have a point regarding exhaustion too. My experience was after being awake for 24 hours and then falling asleep, waking up, falling asleep again, and waking up again. So on top of exhaustion, I had an interrupted sleep pattern, which I hear does the trick as well. So far though my experimentation with this hasn't resulted in much.

Thanks so much for keeping up with the thread, by the way. Hearing other peoples ideas is great to get the thoughts flowing, it always gets me in the right mindset to practice.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morgenstern89
The River Goddess' popular thread about her experience with The Yanker was what finally got me excited enough to join up see if I could learn anything from the folks here on the board.

The "Yanker"?

I too have been "pulled" out of my body, and I can assure you it is real.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Im just chiming in to say "hi"...................someone early on the 1st page said "astral projection is really just meditation" and that tells me they know nothing of what they are speaking about.......

..............just sayin'

Please keep in mind, that BECAUSE I was yanked out, I had a VERY HARD road to learn to do this on my own, and am still having difficulties. SO please dont try and find an easier path, as this ends up becoming a challenge in other ways.......there IS NO EASY PATH..............I can promise you this.

Much love & light in your quest

edit on 19-12-2011 by theRiverGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Well, according to what most of the others in here are saying about intent, that is definitely the key point in all of this. I had an experience a couple of nights ago. I wanted to have an OBE with only a mediocre attempt, but then I woke up (I was right on the border of wake and sleep, I guess my subconscious trained my body to do that) and my entire body was vibrating, like they say will happen. It's strange really, because I could feel these vibrations move in and out of my body, as if they were a part of me. Strangely enough, it seems like these vibrations have some sort of intelligence. When I woke up and got too excited, it felt like these vibrations knew that I was awake and 'quit' their work. So if you're looking for a proper step by step, I just recommend setting a strong intent with reason behind, mental discipline, and above all, PATIENCE. That's about all you need to know if you want to have one of these incredible experiences.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
That's quite an experience, Paul, thanks for sharing. Did he tell you anything of his training? Whether it was natural, self taught, or he was instructed? Was it at random or could he induce it himself?

Thanks for stopping by, TRG. I'm still curious as to whether someone assisting in an OBE could be beneficial if done enough times. I imagine one time would kind of spoil you a bit, but after ten or twenty times perhaps the familiarity of the sensation and the repetitive/frequent nature would "click" some switch and make it easier. Kind of goes back to my bike analogy. Had you ever asked your Yanker about that?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Had a bit of an experience last night. My sleep schedule is always messed up, but I set my alarm for 9:30, so I got in bed early, for me at least, two or so I want to say. I decided to sleep on the floor instead of in bed. I laid a sleeping bag down, got the big pillow off my bed, and the comfy pillow from the chair in the living room, and stretched out on the floor. Quite comfy for being a wood floor with just a rug and sleeping bag underneath me. I always seem to have a better time -not- moving around when I'm on a firm surface, and slightly uncomfortable, but only slightly. I laid there until about four AM trying to relax and induce sleep paralysis. At some point, I failed, drifted off, but woke up gasping.

Now, I've had incidences of sleep apnea in the past, but I'm starting to wonder if they are really instances of sleep paralysis. When I wake up with this "apnea" I feel quite heavy, as if I were in sleep paralysis, but I break out of it fast once I'm breathing again. So I wonder if I'm waking up at the point where my body has taken over control of my breathing, and I'm fighting back for conscious control. This was very similar to my last sleep paralysis episode, where I also had trouble breathing. The time before, once I had regained conscious control of my breathing I was able to physically move better, though I could have closed my eyes and taken it all the way, I think.

This is interesting, and one more thing that I will have to play with when I notice.
edit on 4-2-2012 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Your not failing, ever.

Sometimes there is something called a block, but forget about all the words, rituals, incense, oils, candles, symbols, or other esoteric BS. We can get bogged down, with information, information that was meant to assist us becomes our anchors, weights, veils and chains.

Remember when you where a child?

Remember how carefree you were and the only real fears that were present were the ones people created, or told you about?

To project consciously - The magic needed.....shhhhh don't tell anyone cause they might think it's to simple and therefore worthless.

Focus on one part of your physical body, just one.

Now feel the energy in that part of your body. It can be a finger, toe, nose wherever you feel most drawn to while relaxing. This energy, the buzzing, tingling, vibrating however you wish to sense it, is the real you or your true essence some call it the soul.

Now, as you feel this energy or sensation allow it to grow. Your mind will be chattering away, thoughts will come and go, but remain focused on that one spot. Allow the energy to grow, feel it, sense it. If you don't feel it growing imagine a sun beam directly on that body part. It will grow, and expand.

Sometimes the energy will grow so quickly and the sensation so intense that you'll get excited and wake-up, but no worries because you'll be energized and gitty. Again forget all the terms and labels people use. Just focus on the energy, your essence.

There is not a wrong or right way to move this energy, which is you, only to become more aware of it, because it is already there. Slowly become more comfortable with it, and as you do your successful OBE and projections will happen consciously.

Think about this, our physical bodies are like a video recorder, and store images of our lives, memories, sounds, events, feelings, emotions, and trying to get passed a lifetime of frightful events can hold us back, but not if we just focus on our true essence. Our true essence is unstained or imprinted with earth memories, it over-rides the fears that are instilled within these shells we call our bodies. This essence or energy will allow for a complete reboot of the physical shell, allowing us to see life from a higher vibration, well until we allow the physical shells to think they rule again.

I personally think that OBE's and Astral projections are a huge part of life, but have been ridiculed because our Ego's allow it. Ego's are a part of our physical shell and begin at birth to protect us, but unfortunately end up hurting us and separating us further in life from our true selves.

The question I ask many people is, if everything you have is taken from you, what is left?

Most people will answer nothing, but the truth is that is only your ego talking. Just because something, or our essence is not quantifiable with our 5 senses doesn't mean that it's not there, in fact, most people fear things that are not quantifiable, thus promoting childish ridicule to justify their dogma's.

Like I said..........Simple.......Simple and more simplicity.

If it's complicated ritual then it most likely is only there to pacify your ego/physical self.

Many people say Love and light, but I embrace everything because it all has a message for us. Listen, acknowledge be comfortable with it all and OBE's will happen whenever you choose them to.

Peace out,

RT

After 7+ years of trying to have another experience, and failing, I can't help but be a little frustrated with the current state of OBE/AP "education", for lack of a better term. We now have great information available to us, what with series such as Lucidology 101, which not only state the importance of sleep paralysis as a requirement for these experiences, but give a boatload of information as to how to achieve this state. Yet I constantly see the same bits and pieces of advice thrown around that contain the same useless philosophy and superfluous steps. Breath deep, align the chakras, open the third eye, keep a dream journal, relax the mind, etc etc. People cling to these outdated pieces of advice. Not to say that these are useless exercises, just that these have been repeated so often that they have become undeserving pillars of OBE/AP lore, and that anyone who has spent ten minutes researching the topic knows that that alone isn't going to shoot you out of your body. Not to mention the delusional unicorn kisses and pixie glitter theatrics that people like to throw around these days.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hi, OBE researchers.

Anyone knows about:
www.obe4u.com

or
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply, RT.

I agree that keeping it simple is important. From time to time I can induce pretty strong vibrations, and a squeezing sensation, but my awareness remains very firmly planted in my head. I feel like the vibrations alone aren't enough to do the trick. The times that I do experience sleep paralysis are very head and torso oriented. Because I can't move my arms and legs, it feels as if those parts of my "energy body" have been sucked up into the torso, and I can feel myself just kind of bobbing around loosely inside my head and chest. But, I only ever wake up with sleep paralysis, I can never induce it, which is unfortunate because I feel it is the key state for me. Anything less usually results in discomfort, since I have to lay still for several hours to experience even slight vibrations.

C-Jean, I have looked at that e-book, and I wasn't all that impressed. Aside from what seemed to be an excessive amount of testimonials / reader experiences (several hundred pages), the information seems ok, but moreso for someone who is new to the concept, it's nothing I haven't heard before. I'm also kind of skeptical of the motives behind the book, as the website seems very sales pitchy.
edit on 5-2-2012 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Wow! your almost there, in fact I think I have a great solution for you.

Here is my solution:

It's a very simple solution focus on that single bit of energy, if you can sense anything else besides your true essence your stuck in the mental/ego/logical mind. Nothing wrong with that because it's your mind not allow you to let go.

Our physical shells/minds/ego's are only a temporary experience (Life), they will never trump your higher-self, or the true you, but they will do their best to trick you.

I completely understand the discomforts of releasing to the higher-self, it's a bit of a roller coaster, but like I said if you focus on that one sparkle of energy within, then allow it to expand, you will project.

Maybe that's the word I should have used. Expand.

Visualize that energy expanding 3 to 5 feet passed your physical shell/body, on all sides, and you'll become larger than your body, kind of like a balloon blowing up. Feel the warmth.

I believe what this accomplishes is that it fools the mind/logic/ego, and then allows your higher self to take the reigns, or remember that it's the one truly in charge.

This is the exact technique I used to consciously project many times.

Good luck because I have a feeling your about to find yourself outside your body real soon.

Thanks for the reply, RT.

I agree that keeping it simple is important. From time to time I can induce pretty strong vibrations, and a squeezing sensation, but my awareness remains very firmly planted in my head. I feel like the vibrations alone aren't enough to do the trick. The times that I do experience sleep paralysis are very head and torso oriented. Because I can't move my arms and legs, it feels as if those parts of my "energy body" have been sucked up into the torso, and I can feel myself just kind of bobbing around loosely inside my head and chest. But, I only ever wake up with sleep paralysis, I can never induce it, which is unfortunate because I feel it is the key state for me. Anything less usually results in discomfort, since I have to lay still for several hours to experience even slight vibrations.

edit on 5-2-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Interesting approach. Do you pretty much just bypass the need for paralysis then? At this point in your development, how long does it actually take you to get out?

I tend to try and "squash" myself as a means of loosening myself from the body. Never thought about expanding past the body and trying to move out from there. It typically takes me several hours to get numb(from laying still for so long, not from paralysis), get the vibrations, and the squeezing feeling only happens every so often, as if there is a pressure on the ears, like in an airplane. From these states, which I usually consider to be pretty deep for me, whenever I try and attempt an exit, my awareness is instantly brought back to my head/eyes. It's like I can't will myself up and out. I get what feels like the beginning of an exit, if I can remember it from all those years ago. The slight acceleration, the sensation of being in the "tunnel" like the first time, but it feels like I'm trying to take the body with me, I end up tense, with my back arched, trying to force myself out. So close.

I'll remember your advice, and apply it to my attempts from now on. I think I'll give it a shot right now as a matter of fact. Thanks for the advice

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Another update. An anticlimactic update, but an update none the less. I'm finding that, as I obsess over this, I have little experiences throughout the day where it feels as if I could lay down and become relaxed immediately. In some cases, I do. I realize this could be anything, such as a blood sugar drop, or something along those lines medically, but it's only been recently and I haven't had any significant lifestyle changes. I'm also finding that it is easier for me at night to lay down and attempt an exit. The exit itself isn't easier, as I still haven't succeeded there, but the -attempt- is easier. I usually move around, readjusting myself, trying to find a more comfortable position, and continue to do so for most of the practice session. Now, it seems as if I can lay down and find that position immediately and begin practice. I know I should be attempting this during the day, but if I end up falling asleep and taking a long nap I'll be up until all hours of the night.

Anyway, just thought people may like an update. It's just a little thing, but any progress at this point is encouraging.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hello! Great Thread!

I just wanted to respond to it because I had an OOBE about 5 or so years ago. It was drug induced (mushrooms) and I didn't expect it to happen. I didn't really believe in out of body experiences before it happened, but it just kinda happened. I ate a lot....probably more than I should have and sat alone in the dark. I had intensely amazing feelings shooting up and down my spine, which seemed to collect at the top of my head, before I was "birthed" out of the top of my head. Next thing I knew "I" was looking down at my physical body and I was someplace else....someplace beyond it all. I didn't see any other "Beings" or "spirits" or anything people mention when they "astral project" or whatever. Nobody was trying to communicate with me and there was no "authority figure God" judging me. I felt "whole" and complete. I felt like I had just waken up to true reality from a dream. I realized that there's never anything to fear, ever because I'd never want anything horrible to happen to me. I felt free and joy and bliss, more than I've ever felt in my life. I was awareness and this bliss was rushing through me, becoming me, there was no separation.

"I" just "was". I realized my "true self" was this consciousness/awareness that sat in the background my entire life, and that I had just been confused and identified with ideas and temporary things and a physical body. I felt eternal and it all felt soooooooooo familiar, like I had been there plenty of times before. I realized "I" was eternal and unchanging and just that presence, or awareness or whatever you want to call it.

All around "me", in this place beyond physical reality, was this static/light. It reminded me of television static, it was all around me and was me at the same time. It spread out infinitely in every direction around me.

It was infinity itself, I think, the pure unrealized possibility of anything. And I was a point of awareness, floating in that sea of possibility. Whatever "state of being" I focused on, or "tuned my attention/consciousness" to, I became. I became a flickering light, or ball of energy, or whatever of that state of being and just felt it, intensely.

I realized I could become whatever I wanted to be/or experience just by paying attention to different aspects of infinity.

I realized that "the physical moment" I experience in the physical world, was a direct reflection of whatever state of being I chose to become aware of in this non-physical place. If that makes anysense at all. It's all very hard to explain. In the physical world, I *WAS* everything that was being experienced in that moment. In this nonphysical place, I was also everything, but what I chose to be, changed the tuning of consciousness and the phyiscal moment. Its so hard to explain because what I experienced deals entirely with a different state of being than the physical.

When I "came back" I remember seeing how easy it was to "leave" again, but we just forget over time.

Nothing has looked the same to me since that night. I see waves and oceas of "static" and "energy" underneath all of the physical world around me.

I've been trying to get back, but have been unsuccessful as of yet.

The day after I experienced this, I told my friend who told me that I was just hallucinating from the drugs I took, and non of it actually happened. The more poeple I told, the more people looked at me like I was crazy, so I stopped telling anyone. I kept reading books and researching it.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
You can see how I came to learn about astral projection in the thread "How can I get sleep paralysis" - it's not something I try to do on purpose, because of what the horrific unintentional first experience with partially separating from my body was like.

I did have one other experience, and it was just under a year ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. I had read up on AP and knew what it was and learned various techniques used to induce them, but I also had no interest in trying to do it because, frankly, I'm a wimp. (BTW a book I read said no substance should ever be used, you should be completely free of alcohol and drugs because clarity of the mind is important)

I'm a musician and I love writing music. Generally guitar oriented rock stuff, but I write all the parts myself and always have ideas swimming through my head. One night I was just laying down to sleep, and as I lay there I was thinking of a drum beat in my head which was very simple in nature, and I kept the pattern repeating until I could think of a melody to put over it. I must have been more tired than I realized, and I must have drifted into a sleep like state because all the sudden the beat I had just been thinking of was playing out right in from of my "eyes" - I'm floating (I say that because my body wasn't there, I was just consciously observing) about 5 feet above a drum set, looking strait down at it, which the rhythm is playing out and becoming more complex...its like I wasn't in anymore and just was "getting a show" so to speak. All else was blackness aside from the set.

This was not just a boring looking normal drum set, these drums would flash a brilliant greenish/yellow color whenever that particular drum sounded (from right to left I was looking at a floor tom, two tom toms, and a snare)
This blueish electrical charge started building up and cracking all around the thing as the intensity grew...and thats when I started feeling the vibrations. I had experienced mild vibrations during sleep paralysis in the past but it wasn't until after the fact that I realized it was happening, because of the panic I was normally in, but these were intense and I knew it meant I could try and separate from my body. Next thing I knew is I started detaching from my physical body and I thought "Omg its actually happening!" At that point I freaked out and snapped back and was fully awake.

I laid there for a couple minutes just astounded at this awesome experience, then became mad that I didn't take it further. So I immediately tried to do it again, but nothing would bring that state back (I could have watched those drums forever, I wish I could explain it better). I have no idea if you can take anything from this, I'm definitely no authority and I'm just going off what happened to me, but I wish you well and hope that you find success soon!

I had read before that if you hold on to a thought while entering sleep that you can project, and now that I think about it thats basically what I was doing, only with music.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
That's interesting, Peanut. Every once in a while, as I'm falling asleep, I'll hear tunes. Sometimes songs with lyrics, sometimes instruments, or sort of ambient music. I've never been able to really remember any of it, or match it up with an existing song. It's so pretty and relaxing that I don't really think too hard about it, and just end up falling asleep. I'll have to try and remember to use it as a sort of indicator to attempt an exit.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Maybe you should practice with lucid dreaming first. Ever since I was little I have been able to lucid dream at times, it happens more often now since I've been doing it forever. You basically make your mind conscious as you are dreaming. Ways you can trigger this are to keep asking yourself through the day if you are awake or dreaming, then look around and verify to yourself you are awake. This way it becomes a habit and you will ask it in your dream, then you can look and see you are dreaming. Like if a light won't turn on right when you touch it, when you look at an object or writing and it keeps changing....these things can easily trigger lucidity. Just look for what doesn't make sense.

When I've projected I've usually been at my friends house trying to sleep in the mornings. I don't know if the altered state of being away from home triggers it or not, I wasn't uncomfortable at all your states just shift no matter where you are. I've only done it once at my house...and still need more practice because when I get out it's really hard to walk fast at all but it will ease over time. If you hear a buzzing or people talking that's also an indicator your in the right state to get out and I would suggest feeling that rocking motion of your body. Just roll a ball of energy from your head to your toes, mentally, thats the best way I can describe it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Ahh, my 200th post. What better way to celebrate than to rehash this old topic?

Seriously though, I'd really like to continue exploring astral projection / OBEs. After learning of TRG's passing, it feels appropriate to continue on.

Inducing sleep paralysis is still something that I can't achieve. I've been exploring the idea of dissociation and consciously forcing myself out, but that is the same as, if not harder than, trying to induce paralysis.

At time's I'll catch myself just completely in a daze, and will snap back when I realize that my mind was briefly totally clear. Similarly, there are moments I realize I'm daydreaming for a moment, and that I'm staring at my hands in my lap yet I don't really recognize them as being my own. -That- to me is an interesting little brain glitch. The state is probably very similar to some kind of meditative state.

I really hate to ask advice of people when it comes to this topic, because after a certain point it is just beating a dead horse. I can only ask so many questions, people can only give so many answers. I've probably read every technique and theory out there for this and other related phenomena. You can be incredibly well read on this subject and still have trouble.

But I do encourage those individuals who can do this at will to post their personal stories. Of all the posts I have read on this forum where members coyly suggest that they can do this at will, I've rolled my eyes at all but a few of them. Those I believe though tend to have a lot of great insight into the subject. If you have a thread detailing your experiences, by all means post it. I'm interested in hearing about how someone who can actually do it at will got to that level of skill. If for nothing else, it serves as good inspiration after years of no luck.

Crossing my fingers for some interesting stories

edit on 14-6-2012 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
For.the past three years I've been having sleep parallisis some times on a.regular basis , up to two or.three times a night but could go months with out it . I have not experienced obe for I have just recently even found out that is what it is . But I can tell u its scarry as # . When it comes on strong it feels like someone is trying to pull meme out of my bed . I've just started researching this and apparently that's when I'm suppost to go with it instead of fight it like I've been doing . But ill tell u it feels like u are a little kid and there is a monster under your bed . It's the strongest feeling something bad is in the room with me something really bad god its so frighting . I'm 333 years old.and have never been so scared not because I can't move but because if feels limesomething is in the room with me . That's my expera.ce to this date

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoffmanizer
For.the past three years I've been having sleep parallisis some times on a.regular basis , up to two or.three times a night but could go months with out it . I have not experienced obe for I have just recently even found out that is what it is . But I can tell u its scarry as # . When it comes on strong it feels like someone is trying to pull meme out of my bed . I've just started researching this and apparently that's when I'm suppost to go with it instead of fight it like I've been doing . But ill tell u it feels like u are a little kid and there is a monster under your bed . It's the strongest feeling something bad is in the room with me something really bad god its so frighting . I'm 333 years old.and have never been so scared not because I can't move but because if feels limesomething is in the room with me . That's my expera.ce to this date

My I PLEASE know the secret to you having lived this long? You need to put this in a bottle and sell it!

Is this what sleep paralysis does for the body?

edit on 9/13/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join