It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 biggest mysteries about humans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I had the impression the last Neanderthal genes can be found in the redheads with freckles.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
10) The addition of meat into the diet caused the brain to become larger.
second line
edit on 2-12-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Because that is the secret to human success. Both parents raising offspring for a long time.
How much does a lion cub learn in a year? Hunt, eat, how to form a pride. How much does a human now learn in 18?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Most of these answer their own questions. I don't consider many of them to be serious mysteries except maybe why we dropped our fur.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
The link

At the link you can move thru what the makers of the site think are the ten biggest mysteries involving humans

10. So what kicked off the push for a larger brain?
9. Why stand and walk on two legs when our ape cousins get by on four limbs?
8. What happened to our hair?
7. Why did our closest relatives go extinct?
6. Is human evolution accelerating?
5. What is the hobbit?
4. Why did modern humanity expand past Africa about 50,000 years ago?
3. Did we have sex with Neanderthals? (since we have their DNA this question seem moot, perhaps a better question might be - our we responsible for their demise?)
2. Who was the first hominid?
1. Where do modern humans come from?
edit on 30/11/11 by Hanslune because: Corrected

Well...

10. We started eating meat, including seafood/shellfish which is high in Omega3, ALA and LA.
9. No idea
8. Ditto
7. Maybe they didn't. We evolved from Homo erectus, at least. So technically they didn't go extinct.
6. Based on some of our TV shows, I'd say were devolving.

5. I'll wait for the experts to sort that one out.
4. Because we could and maybe we needed to. There was a bottleneck around 74,000 ybp due to the eruption of Toba, and it took that long for populations to recover. It may have been getting a little crowded. Also, we're an inquisitive species. We'll go somewhere just to see if we can do it and for no other reason.
3. Absolutely, yes.
2. Er, maybe that should be "what", not "who"?
1. We came from a long line of earlier hominids who evolved to the point we're at now sometime in the last 100,000 years.
edit on 12/2/2011 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Just the hair boys and girls,explain why we dont see chimps with hair down to their arses??

Then prove me wrong when I say that the same genes that were altered to make us humans as opposed to primates included an addition that neded a blank to fill in a space genticlly speaking,I am no dna expert but I know the gist of it,the reason our hair keeps growing is actually the key to defining the missing link because it is the clue that leads us to a genetic alteration we can use as a baseline with primates to extrapolate what exactly was done to make us who we are!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
Just the hair boys and girls,explain why we dont see chimps with hair down to their arses??

Longevity of the hair follicles, for one thing. Most humans can't grow their hair long enough to sit on, either. I can, but my husband can't. Neither of us have cut our hair in 20 years -- mine had been about midway down my thighs (about 3 inches shorter now... apparently the hair isn't living as long). His has never gotten beyond shoulder length.

An interesting question would be why we did get long hair in the first place. That may be cultural genetic selection (people just like the way it looked and long haired people found mates more often.)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Most of these answer their own questions. I don't consider many of them to be serious mysteries except maybe why we dropped our fur.

Research AAT.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by one4all

Longevity of the hair follicles, for one thing. Most humans can't grow their hair long enough to sit on, either. I can, but my husband can't. Neither of us have cut our hair in 20 years -- mine had been about midway down my thighs (about 3 inches shorter now... apparently the hair isn't living as long). His has never gotten beyond shoulder length.

An interesting question would be why we did get long hair in the first place. That may be cultural genetic selection (people just like the way it looked and long haired people found mates more often.)

So that our infants could hang on while we were seeking food in the waters off a long gone coastline.

www.primitivism.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Nr. 9, its to do with arm length, take a look at primates, notice some of them seem to have arms longer than legs?
Which is something that puzzles me, I can only think its better that way when living in trees.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

The link
At the link you can move thru what the makers of the site think are the ten biggest mysteries involving humans

Losing a habitat somewhere. Massive deforestation, perhaps in either east-central Africa or central Asia.

Standing on two legs allows us to see farther, and carry things while we walk.

Less hair means more Vitamin D production in cloudy weather.

Pure pwnage on our part.

I don't think there's any evidence of that.

5. What is the hobbit?

An offshoot of Homo Erectus, right? Those monkey men really got around.

Some kind of catastrophe or climate change. Animals generally don't move out of a good spot unless they're forced to.

3. Did we have sex with Neanderthals? (since we have their DNA this question seem moot, perhaps a better question might be - our we responsible for their demise?)

See #7 above.

Steve Martin.

I know east Africa is the favorite choice, but I'm also curious about fossil finds in west Africa and other places just recently being explored, as well as DNA studies. Given how widely and quickly human beings spread around the world, I wonder if they didn't come from someplace a bit more centralized, like where western Kazahkstan is these days. Harder to find fossils there, of course.

edit on 2-12-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Some higher power knew we would need it in modern times. You will soon need a Masters degree to get a minimum wage job. (true in America at the very least) so bigger brains are crucial.

Apes didnt need to run around full-speed all day on the job as slaves like us modern-day man.

Dont need it for warmth anymore being that our jobs and financial situations of modern time keeps us sweating constantly.

The PTB couldnt get them to slave for them any more so they gave them the ax.

Not in the Southern regions of the U.S.

5. What is the hobbit?

HUH?

To leave the god-forsaken place.

3. Did we have sex with Neanderthals?

Apparently so as there are MANY degenerates all around us. Especially the parents of the current republican presidential hopefuls running at the current time. Neanderthals is an UNDERSTATEMENT for them!!

HUH?

From the womb. From the womb, and then into a world of HELL, full of LIES, false hopes, torment, misery, hard-labor and shattered dreams. Then eventually death at 100 years old on your job (no retirement any more) after paying LOTS of taxes that go to everyone other than the common hard-working American citizen.
edit on 2-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

10. Read question & answer to number 9 first. Once we were able to stand on 2 feet, and get our heads above the grasses where the cooler air/breeze and less exposure reduced the temperature of our brains to be a bit cooler, it allowed the surface area of the brain to expand.

9. In the plains of Africa in the searing heat, the air was much more stagnant and hotter right near the ground; by standing on 2 feet, we could get our heads a bit higher into the breeze above the tall grasses, keeping our heads a bit cooler, as well by standing there is less body surface area exposed to the directly above sun as compared to being more horizontal. As well allowing us to see our prey and predators easier... now see number 10.

8. Someone invented marriage. Before that however, by standing, we had way less skin surface area exposed to the direct perpendicular sun, so maybe we didn't need as much hair anymore to block, deflect, and keep the rays off the skin. We didn't lose the hair on our heads because we still had a lot of exposure to the overhead sun up top. We didn't lose body hair in other areas as hair acts like a lubricant when skin rubs together.

Just small differences in the cultural and technological advancements/evolution gave one species big advantages over the other. Another factor may have come with during the development of our "bigger" brains (see above), our most human trait, curiosity, was further stimulated, "making" us want to travel and explore a lot further away from our comfortable home land region, whereas our closest relative may not have had enough curiosity to leave as far away from home as we did. Then when droughts and food shortages and whatever other disasters came and went, we were spread out enough for the species to get through the rougher times by region, where the species that did not extend themselves as far were all caught up in the regional issue and was easier to cull them out.

Of course it is; however slight at this point though. Back in the hunter gatherer days, we spent our physical time always active, hunting, gathering constantly to survive. Each individual didn't have the same time we have today for the softer side items of humanity like academia, spirituality, and technological advancements. Nowadays, food acquisition takes minutes, not hours, so we have the capability for the individual to sit in-active on a computer and eat bon-bons all day or do whatever the heck we want like learn, invent, discover. Way more of us today (not all of us) are in a state of physical decay - mental/spiritual growth, whereas our ancestors were more in a state of physical growth per se - mental/spiritual slow growth in comparison. See graph to help explain what I mean? Intersect point is maybe when we transcend into the 4th density.

5. What is the hobbit?
A regional adaptation branch of the tree that suited the area at the time? Not sure enough.

Curiosity got the better of us. We are creatures that all need to know "what's over that hill?" Food shortages / drought may have triggered some in "crowded" areas to start traveling to find greener pastures.

There was no doubt some species mixing here and there. Even today you can sometimes see "neanderthalic-ish looking features in some people. Either through assimilation or extermination, we certainly played a role in their "demise".

Well, the politically correct answer is likely Lucy, however, I think there are other discoveries much older now isn't there?

Well supposedly a branch from chimps, but I am sure there is more to the story than we either know or are being told.

edit on 12-2-2011 by IronDogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Well here is the way I feel about it.
Evolution is real.
Evolution is does happen.
Evolution is is fact.
The problem is that human evolution just does not add up right. Too many gaps and too many jumps. If animal evolution worked as fast as human evolution has then we would have birds building air planes, whales building submarines and the world we live in would look like a planet from a movie like Stars Wars. Not enough time has pasted for humans to have gotten this far. I do not think that we would have invented the wheel or maybe not even learned to make fire by now if human evolution worked as slow as animal evolution does. I used to point things like this out to my teachers back in school and it just locked them up. They had no answer and I think it is going to be a long time until the truth, what ever it may be comes out. I often wonder is humans are even from Earth or are we what is left of a long since forget race from another place that came here long ago. I think that the moive Battlestar Galactica last final show may have had the answer. I know it was just a TV show but the idea it came up with makes me wonder.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Me too!

Dont quote me on this but a friend once told me its a primal thing when hunting so everyone went to sleep at the same time??

Can anyone confirm that?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The larger brain could be because of speech. Humans have an amazing speech ability for the animal kingdom, including a sophisticated and complicated vocal cord.

The complex human speech has been linked to two brain nuclei controlling the language (articulating control, data storing and integration of the grammar rules) located in the left hemisphere of the cortex. What we want to say is initiated in an area of the left cortex called "Wernicke zone". This communicates with "Broca zone", involved with grammatical rules. Impulses go from these areas to the muscles involved in speech. These zones are connected with the visual system (so we can read), auditory system (so we can hear what others say, understand and answer) and also have a memory bank for recalling valuable phrases.

ten amazing facts about speech

The reason humans dont remember what happens to them as babies is because when babies start learning to talk, the old information is written over by speech patterns. Your memories start when you begin to talk.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I have an idea about number 9. Humans are the only mammal that sleeps on its back. This probably allowed the spine to straighten and us to become bipeds.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
12. Why do men have nipples?

That was explained to me by a Sergeant long ago. We were performing a task which seemed to involved an impossibly large amount of equipment. So I asked, why would we need this, holding up 'X', to which replied, that's just in case we need it, to each of my other queries the answers was 'just in case'.

Then he added; Lieutenant do you plan to feed any children with those nipples you have?

...well, er no

They are there just in case, Sir, just in case

You may not plan to, but you could.

Male lactation - Sci Am

Looks like I just answered one of life's "great questions."

I won't rob the rest of you of this experience by hogging all the rest of the answers.

You all feel free - go ahead.

Harte

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

You may not plan to, but you could.

Male lactation - Sci Am

Er I think that might be the wrong link unless conservation of energy = male lactation

I would presume that with the circus or probability known as DNA you'd get a physical 'male' who could also produce milk

I won't rob the rest of you of this experience by hogging all the rest of the answers.

You all feel free - go ahead.

Harte

No, no feel free to scatter forth your wisdom and occassional thrashings
edit on 3/12/11 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Personal incredulity lacks value when evaluating a scientific position. Perhaps you could provide us with what you think our development time should have been and the parameters and criteria you used to produce it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join