It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 biggest mysteries about humans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The link

At the link you can move thru what the makers of the site think are the ten biggest mysteries involving humans

10. So what kicked off the push for a larger brain?
9. Why stand and walk on two legs when our ape cousins get by on four limbs?
8. What happened to our hair?
7. Why did our closest relatives go extinct?
6. Is human evolution accelerating?
5. What is the hobbit?
4. Why did modern humanity expand past Africa about 50,000 years ago?
3. Did we have sex with Neanderthals? (since we have their DNA this question seem moot, perhaps a better question might be - our we responsible for their demise?)
2. Who was the first hominid?
1. Where do modern humans come from?
edit on 30/11/11 by Hanslune because: Corrected

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
11. Why do humans buy things they cant afford?
edit on 30-11-2011 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
#6 & #7 are duplicates

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah
11. Why do humans buy things they cant afford?
edit on 30-11-2011 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

Good question and perhaps we should we recast it as; why do we hunter and gather more than we need? Why do we have a need to accumulate

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
#6 & #7 are duplicates

Thanks for noting that - corrected

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Why do humans take so long to mature to where we can take care of ourselves?. No other animal takes almost a year to walk do they? A horse comes out practically running. Even though we crawl earlier than walking it's not that much earlier. We aren't capable of even beginning to fend for ourselves until like three years and older. Why so long for us?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

I think his name was Ralph. ... or Adam... depends on who you want to believe.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Couple of other strange things:

Spontaneous Human Combustion - (Not known to happen with other related mammals?) is burning from the inside out. It certainly sounds strange but by now, most of us are familiar with this supposed phenomenon. Famous cases include Jack Angel’s account of SHC that led to his hand needing amputation, or Mary Reeser who was burned to a crisp and found with a shrunken skull. Even fiction has its examples of SHC, as seen in Charles Dicken’s novel, Bleak House (Dickens was fascinated by the topic and researched it thoroughly).

Already you can probably come up with a few facts off the top of your head that would debunk this mystery, but consider this: crematoriums pre-heat their furnaces to about 1837.4 degrees Fahrenheit, because the human body is relatively difficult to burn. It takes between one and two hours for tissue and major bones to become ashes. SHC victims are usually found in a liquid form, meaning their bodies had to burn at a temperature exceeding 2998 degrees Fahrenheit. And in some cases, not the entire body is burned and we’d expect to see burn marks all over the body in a traditional house fire scenario.

Bio-luminescence - (Not known to happen with other related mammals?) Surprisingly, most cases on bio-luminescence in humans comes from ill patients. Anna Monaro had asthma and for several weeks, a blue glow would emit from her chest while she slept. In his book ‘Death: Its Causes and Phenomena’, Hereward Carrington reported the body of a boy radiating a blue glow after his death of acute indigestion.

This glow-worm effect still doesn’t have many cases, but recently Japanese researchers discovered that the human body glimmers. The light we emit is about 1000 times lower than the naked eye can see. This light fluctuates during the day, in cycles, leaving us brightest in the afternoon (the skin around your mouth lightens most around this time of day too) and dimmest in the evening.

Also more here: www.newscientist.com...

1) Blushing - Even Darwin struggled to explain why we would evolve a response that lets others know that we have cheated or lied. 2) Laughter - The discovery that laughter is more often produced at banal comments than jokes prompts the question, why did it evolve? 3) Pubic hair - Scent radiator, warmth provider, or chafe protection? The answer to why humans have clumps of hair in private places is still open for debate 4) Teenagers - Even our closest relatives, the great apes, move smoothly from their juvenile to adult life phases – so why do humans spend an agonising decade skulking around in hoodies? 9) Kissing - The urge to kiss is not brought about by genes, so why do we find it so pleasurable to share saliva?

edit on 1-12-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
12. Why do men have nipples?
13.How can we as a species really believe we are evolving when the Jersey Shore and other reality shows are a reflection of our cultural development?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The link

At the link you can move thru what the makers of the site think are the ten biggest mysteries involving humans

6. Why did our closest relatives go extinct?
5. What is the hobbit?
3. Did we have sex with Neanderthals? (since we have their DNA this question seem moot, perhaps a better question might be - our we responsible for their demise?)

Since these are "mysteries", there isn't an answer YET.
So, to put a lighter side to an unexplainable set of questions, I propose:

10. Bloated ego makes big head.
9. To reach the items on the TOP shelf.
8. Humidity makes curly hair go limp and straight.
7. He couldn't stand our cooking.
6. That's the same question.
5. A humanoid skeleton, very tiny in stature, found North of Wales - ironically in the same time period as the filming of Lord of the Rings in Wales.
4. China wasn't importing yet; so, they had to go to China to buy direct.
3. Can we be certain neanderthals are extinct? Look at our politicians.
2. The first hominid didn't have a name as she had no language yet.
1. Modern humans come from slightly less modern humans.

Hope that brought a smile to your day.

Okay, you changed #6 to:

My reply - the only place where human evolution is accelerating is on the Audobahn, Freeway

edit on 1/12/2011 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
And and and!!! Why are yawns catchy???

Really. I'm serious. That just bugs the heck outta me.

Fun thread - great thread!

Happy December!

peace

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

The link

5. What is the hobbit?

Interesting questions... Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth (you don't go far with 2 cents these days!)

10. No idea
9. Check out Ourang Outangs; they also walk on two legs. The majority of them never set foot on the ground. They swing from branches using their hind legs and have their arms and hands available to grab and pick things. When they do go on the ground, they walk like us, on their back legs and with their backs straight. Maybe we had a similar evolution.
8. I think the aquatic ape theory explains it all. It could also explain number 9. Regardless of debunking, the theory still makes more sense than anything else out there.
7. Maybe we killed them, maybe they didn't adapt as well as we did.
6. Perhaps our physical evolution, but mentaly we are probably falling behind and have been for several centuries. A perfect example which I use often enough is the belief that people once thought the Earth was flat. This belief was invented in the 1820's in Irving Washington's mythical biography of Christopher Columbus. Nowhere in written history has anyone ever mentionned a belief that the Earth is flat: stand by the ocean or a great lake, stand on a mountain, you can clearly see the curvature of the horizon. Religion was never as predominant as it is now and just about every culture concluded that the Earth must be a sphere like the sun, the moon and the other planets. 1000 years ago, nobody would have believed that someone once thought the Earth to be flat.
5. Interesting question, too little information yet available to make a hypothesis in my opinion.
4. The expansion most likely happened before that, but why? More people? Radical changes in climate? If we could definitely find out when the actual move happened, we could get a clearer hypothesis.
3. Obviously. Are we responsible for their demise? I think not, we probably just saved their genes.
2. All I know is that it wasn't me... Even if I do feel that old at times...
1. This one deserves its own thread. I think we did evolve, but that we are much older than what is currently believed. I lean towards the idea that this is the 2nd, maybe 3rd (maybe 50th) time we have developed to this point. Were's the proof? Maybe they didn't use plastics.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah

That was explained to me by a Sergeant long ago. We were performing a task which seemed to involved an impossibly large amount of equipment. So I asked, why would we need this, holding up 'X', to which replied, that's just in case we need it, to each of my other queries the answers was 'just in case'.

Then he added; Lieutenant do you plan to feed any children with those nipples you have?

...well, er no

They are there just in case, Sir, just in case

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

You have taken what I meant as a joke to a pretty serious level, at what point, what motivated us to take more than we need, and hoard it from our fellow man.

I believe this might be answered by looking at animals who gather for the winter, and obviously prepare for tough times. We have taken this simple natural action and through intense fear and uncertainty created our modern habits. I would say this then went from identifying with our needs (food) and filled them in with materialism, our wants. we think we need this or that, and so we hoard object to feel safe.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

The link

5. What is the hobbit?

#10 - not entirely sure beyond the need for improved processing of vocal patterns and maybe stimulated by diversifying use of tools
#9 - perhaps food was found to be more plentiful on the ground in the open plains. Easier to run on two legs given our overall shape
#8 - my guess is clothing. We started wearing furs and our bodies stopped producing as much hair
#7 - Same reason we are in afghanistan, iraq, and lybia... part of us is still fiercly greedy, territorial, and savage.
#6 - I believe that we evolve not just through accidental mutation, but through active adaptation during our lives.. so yeah, we are evolving quickly to adapt to our rapidly changing ecology and overall culture
#5 - Who knows. Someone else gave a decent answer on this, I think
#4 - I actually believe they extended out much earlier than that. Probably due to climate changes and chasing food
#3 - I didn't..
But likely, yes, our ancestors did.
#2 - By who, you imply a sense of identity.. I imagine homonids were around before a distinct sense of identity was. Who know who the first one to look in a lake and realize it was a reflection was. All things are lost to history in time.
#1 - Again, lost to time.. probably a combination of factors including the last two ice ages and wars with our close cousins

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

The link

We were inquisitive scavengers

who would eat anything including meat

we use less energy

and can see better from higher.

It's great for looking over long grass

We've still got it.

In fact we have more hair than a gorrila

but it's very fine hair and it's part of our cooling system.

As unlike other primates

In fact all other mammals

we we don't control our body temerature

through breathing

Which ones?

We seem to have a great leaps

about every 50,000 years.

One just started about 500 years ago

5. What is the hobbit?

Well they've found remains of miniture humans

in Indoneasia

dating back about 50,000 years and that's what they're calling them

It could have been a number of things

such as climate, new grounds to hunt, exploration.

No. They evolved into us

and there's more and more scientists starting to think this.

Of course there would have been a bit of an overlap

Well that's cause for debate but most agree on Lucy

neanderthal no doubt in my mind.

edit on 1-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo
extra DIV
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Being dated from feb.11th '11, the article didn't get the update which came after about Neanderthals.

Under the impression it was protein.
Adaption?
8. What happened to our hair? Natural selection probably mixed with climate, are not people of northern origin more hairy, as protection from winter? The first out of the original region, that settle in the north did not loose hair compared to those who did not migrate out of warmer climate.
7. Why did our closest relatives go extinct? Neanderthal, talked of earlier this year, was bred into homo sapiens.
6. Is human evolution accelerating?At a standstill perhaps, unless you count technology and modern culture influences on the body and brain.
5. What is the hobbit? Dwarfism, pituitary, possible other branch.
4. Why did modern humanity expand past Africa about 50,000 years ago? Migration.
See number 7.
2. Who was the first hominid? Lucy is still said to be the first. Though, she is very different in terms of what followed after her, as seen in a recent documentary with more current study...we may know soon!
1. Where do modern humans come from? Out of Africa mixing along the way during migration.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah

That was explained to me by a Sergeant long ago. We were performing a task which seemed to involved an impossibly large amount of equipment. So I asked, why would we need this, holding up 'X', to which replied, that's just in case we need it, to each of my other queries the answers was 'just in case'.

Then he added; Lieutenant do you plan to feed any children with those nipples you have?

...well, er no

They are there just in case, Sir, just in case

Maybe I should not have asked some mysteries are better left unsolved.
The nipple mystery would fall into the better left unsolved category.
edit on 1-12-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajmusicmedia

The link

5. What is the hobbit?

Interesting questions... Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth (you don't go far with 2 cents these days!)

10. No idea
9. Check out Ourang Outangs; they also walk on two legs. The majority of them never set foot on the ground. They swing from branches using their hind legs and have their arms and hands available to grab and pick things. When they do go on the ground, they walk like us, on their back legs and with their backs straight. Maybe we had a similar evolution.
8. I think the aquatic ape theory explains it all. It could also explain number 9. Regardless of debunking, the theory still makes more sense than anything else out there.
7. Maybe we killed them, maybe they didn't adapt as well as we did.
6. Perhaps our physical evolution, but mentaly we are probably falling behind and have been for several centuries. A perfect example which I use often enough is the belief that people once thought the Earth was flat. This belief was invented in the 1820's in Irving Washington's mythical biography of Christopher Columbus. Nowhere in written history has anyone ever mentionned a belief that the Earth is flat: stand by the ocean or a great lake, stand on a mountain, you can clearly see the curvature of the horizon. Religion was never as predominant as it is now and just about every culture concluded that the Earth must be a sphere like the sun, the moon and the other planets. 1000 years ago, nobody would have believed that someone once thought the Earth to be flat.
5. Interesting question, too little information yet available to make a hypothesis in my opinion.
4. The expansion most likely happened before that, but why? More people? Radical changes in climate? If we could definitely find out when the actual move happened, we could get a clearer hypothesis.
3. Obviously. Are we responsible for their demise? I think not, we probably just saved their genes.
2. All I know is that it wasn't me... Even if I do feel that old at times...
1. This one deserves its own thread. I think we did evolve, but that we are much older than what is currently believed. I lean towards the idea that this is the 2nd, maybe 3rd (maybe 50th) time we have developed to this point. Were's the proof? Maybe they didn't use plastics.

actually the semi aquatic evolution answers 10, 9 and 8.
10. High diet content of omega-3 fatty acids account for the increase in brain size.
9. All primates will walk on two feet when in water above knee height and below mid belly range. If this is done every day for generations the loss of ability to walk on all 4 is very understandable.
8. When a mammal goes semi aquatic/aquatic the have major reduction of hair and a increase in under the skin fat. Yes we have a similar fat distribution with seals, dolphins, whales, and dugongs.

As well of all that it also explains why we:
A. Have hands and feet that wrinkle after being wet for bit but other apes do not
B. Have large amounts of sweat glands while savanna animals only sweat from the tongue.
C. Why our urine has a much higher water/salt ration than any so called savanna animal. (honistly body water conservation is not needed when you live in and around water every day of the year.)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by remembering

yes I agree with this theory which of course happened long before we walked out of africa, We have more in common with ocean mammals than other land mammals. Human females have hymen as well and the only other mammals with a hymen are found in the ocean. A baby kicking its arms and legs looks awkward until you put it in the water.

I posted a thread about it a while ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-12-2011 by steveknows because: Add

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join