It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those that were born Atheist

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dankety
-To those who were or are still are under the shackles of religion, you would have been raised believing that all the answer of human kind are already known, that god created everything and that we some how know all the answers, all the answers are in bible.

9 years of catholic school and going church turned my into a hardcore atheist.

Then I found "god" (I prefer "the great spirit" or another more fitting name) by myself during an uber-intense spiritual experience. Now I read a lot of different religious texts but I follow no group. Oh, and we do know all the answers, life is just the process of remembering

Force feeding religion does not work indeed though.

Edit- when I was a little kid even-though I went to Catholic school, I didn't get the whole religion thing and the religious rhetoric had no damaging effect on me IMO(can't say the same about my peers), it didn't help me either though, but I also kinda lived in my own world as a child and still do.
edit on 1-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Grew up without religion, and then at a turning point in my (young adult) life decided to explore Catholicism for a time and then began to realize it would be more important for me to not align myself with any one religion because that would mean turning my back on all the others. I decided there could not be one true religion.

I hold religion in high regard generally speaking, and feel like it can really help add framework - spiritually speaking - to one's well being, and that it can help serve as a guide in life to a degree. It can be very hard for one to worship or have faith in something that they can't tangibly see, so being faithful to God can be very challenging for some.

I suspect that each and every one of us, in our darkest hour when we are taking our last breaths, will reach out for that which we cannot yet see or touch. And that there is a reason we will be doing so.

Much like Grimpachi said, I don't think all the truths of all the unknowns about how we came to be or where we are going can be contained in a single book.

We are reaching a point in humanity where a "merging of religions" could be beneficial for our future in the name of peace, I think. That's as far as I will go... Cheers

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Hey did you get that from the book Conversations with God? I enjoyedreading those books very much but I have to confess on book 3 it got kind of mind boggleing to where I am reading it again just to make sure I understood it correctly. If anything that would be the god I followed but of course he/she isn't asking me to.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
By taking up arms against "atheists" you are no better than those nut-bag fundamentalist you see on the piss-poor programming offered from fox news. When are you fools going to understand that there's no difference between believing in nothing and believing in "god." Don't push your beliefs on anyone and leave us normal people alone. Jesus!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMalacoda

I would just like to ask you why you think anyone is pushing our beliefs on you? This was certainly a question that the OP asked non religouse people. No one is forceing you to read this or asking you to convert so why the hostility?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by CREAM

Hey did you get that from the book Conversations with God? I enjoyedreading those books very much but I have to confess on book 3 it got kind of mind boggleing to where I am reading it again just to make sure I understood it correctly. If anything that would be the god I followed but of course he/she isn't asking me to.

No, I haven't read that book, but I'll definitely check it out online and see what it's about

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

It is a really good book. I havn't met anyone who has read it that didn't like it. I hope you enjoy it when you do pick it up.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I believed in God just like I believed in Santa Claus, but then I grew up an learned its all stories and lies.

Just like the tooth fairy they are tools to fool you, excite you, and even make little kids go to bed faster.

All of these idols are tools to minipulate and scare people into thinking someone is always watching.

It ok to believe and have religion thats all fine and fun. I live by some of the golden rules that they offer, the ones that make sense anyway.

Its the fanatics that take the bible or thier teaching so literally. That can make it dangerous to be a believer. Believer or not though any group of people can be dangerous with the right catalyst. I just wanted to make that clear, I'm not saying if you believe in a religion that your dangerous.

I wasn't born an athiest but I wasn't really forced into any type of religion either. Although I was born a Roman Chathoic our family didn't really practice much. From what I know Roman Chathoics are more hardcore then most other Chatholics. Lets just say I wasn't pressured into the said religion but the info was there to learn about it.

This lead me to learn about other relgions. It brought me to the conclusion that all religions have three things in common.

1. They are all great stories or ideas. Pure and simple great stories made up by man.

2. They all try to minipulate human beings to behave in certain ways by playing on our emotions. Whether by fear, love, anger ....... and so on.

3. They all have a powerful, great, shinny thing or being that usuallly has all this great knowleage and power to do whatever. They can create something from nothing like the Universe with a snap of a finger as perfect as it seems. Yet all life suffers from being mortal, the feeling of hunger, famine, murder, sickness and disease, birth defects, and the list can go on I am sure. All this power and knowledge and everyone seems to suffer but the gods.

Well they are some pretty good stories and some have great values to live by. In the end religion may just be a means for people to get through tough times. It gives some hope I guess.

In my opinion religions are just a way for certain individuals or groups to control people into doing things that fit thier own agenda or bad things will happen to you. Then thiers the money but I won't get into that, although it seems all these gods have a hard time keeping some money.

So I stopped believing in invisible, all knowing, all powerful beings a long time ago.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join