It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone In Los Angeles Catching These Winds? HOLY CRAP lol.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This isn't a 'prediction". But based on a pattern I've seen since childhood in Los Ageles I'm throwing this out there.

I am sitting here in my living room and the wind picked up from almost 5MPH to...well....very very hard.

In fact this is the STRONGEST winds I've seen in Los Angeles since I was a child.

But I always remember after these winds (Santa Ana?) we've had a few shakers.

This is strong. I'm in South L.A. next to Palos Verdes and man oh man, it's getting worse and kind of scary.

edit on 30-11-2011 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Winds can be very frighting, but just do what you can to set yourself at ease, things like get some water drawn up in case you lose power and check your backup lighting.

I will be interested in what others have to say as we have alot of ATSers in Cal.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
There are trees falling, sirens going off, cop cars scrambling. It's a freak wind that just came out of nowhere.

I've never been scared by wind, lol. Seen lots of Santa Annas but none like this.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I grew up in the LA area too. Seems to me that the Santa Anas are usually around September / October, and they are a hot wind. What you are experiencing now is a fierce low pressure storm system carrying high winds with it. We are expecting this storm here in west Texas by tomorrow night, bringing rain and snow. Of course, out here, we're used to insanely high winds, it comes with the territory. That's why our houses are brick with metal roofs, anything less tends to blow away or get battered away by large hail.

Check out the weather channel, they will show the low as it goes through your area, and the lines drawn around it, if they are tightly together, indicate strong winds with the system. If the lines are far apart, there is little wind. The storm as I saw it during the forecast had extremely tight lines around it, so batten down the hatches, it'll blow through quickly.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Could you keep your wind in California, its leaking into AZ.
Getting gusty here also, not what your describing, but headed here I bet.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thanks. Last week we were having regular Santa Anas which warm things up (as you know) and give that tropical feeling.

This wind is strong and cold and low. Hope it goes through fast. Just kind of spooked me. My French Doors almost busted open.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

It's a freak wind that just came out of nowhere.

Not really. It was forecast. More Santa Ana winds tomorrow.

Just came in from Fullerton, to Palos Verdes. (91 to 110 to PCH, up Hawthorne).

Got home checked the LAX aviation report. winds from 340° at 32 gusts to 41 knots. Over the many years, I've landed at LAX with strong northerly winds before, it is rare, but happens. Even more rare, the winds from the East.

There is probably a high, or low, pressure area with strong rotation, causing these.....check some weather maps.

(A High will have winds rotating around it clockwise, in the Northern hemisphere....opposite direction for a Low...)

SO, winds from the North? Either a High to the West, or a Low to our East......

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
It's pretty windy up here in Northern NV too, but that's nothing really out of the ordinary. Although it came out of nowhere once the sun went down...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
From one of my favorite stations when I was a kid, KTLA:

"A HIGH WIND WARNING is in effect for Southern California this evening through midday Friday. Strong Santa Ana winds are expected to develop late today and last into the early weekend time frame. Hurricane force winds could reach 80 MPH in the mountains and in the mountain passes. For the valleys and coastal areas, especially below the passes and canyons, winds could gust to 60 MPH. These are potentially dangerous winds capable of downing power lines, disrupting high profile vehicles and generating sand and dust storms."

Odd to have Santa Anas when it's almost December. I think the low is pushing that wind from the east as the storm moves away from you guys.

HANG IN THERE!!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Dear PaxVeritas,

Yep, it is very windy; but, it was predicted and will last through tomorrow. By the way, they did predict Santa Ana winds, which while usually are hot, refer more to the direction they take. So while the wind and cold is coming in, they are also saying that we may have fires because of the dryness of the winds.

I lived in the desert for over 20 years and these winds are no stronger than we have out there. They have predicted that the winds could reach 80 plus miles per hour with sustained winds of 45 to 50. I recommend, if you are over 21, a nice glass of Pinot Noir, a warm blanket and your favorite mystery movie. Be well.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Thanks for the info. When I said "came out of nowhere" I meant I didn't expect it or hear about it, shocked me.

It felt like the 100MPH range, though I'm not sure if I could tell what that would feel like. lol

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Pinot Noir is practically all I buy. Good call.

2nd

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Edit to add: I see it was posted above

It's been reported and there is an advisory: Source

Scary stuff sometimes...weather
edit on 11/30/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I hope the firebugs manage to stay indoors.

edit on 30-11-2011 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I've lived in SoCal, Riverside mostly, for 30+ years and strong winds in autumn are quite normal. I-15 / Cajon Pass, Tehachapi, even Grapevine / Gorman have vehicles toppled by winds yearly. There are frequent high wind warnings throughout region: San Gabriel, San Fernando, Topanga, and such.
I've seen Magic Mountain closed because of wind. In 1992, I was driving I-15 north through Rancho Cucamonga and Fontana in a 1981 VW Scirocco and could not maintain more than 40 mph due to the strength of the wind. In 1995, I was driving the same area a 1989 Chevy C3500 dually with 454 and couldn't break 60.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Dear PaxVeritas,

I also highly recommend Charles Shaw's Nouveau (you can get it for $2 a bottle at Trader Joes and it is only available for about a month a year, Christmas time). I do have a couple of warnings regarding the weather, government staffs have all been decreased and that means that you might see it take longer for trees and limbs to be removed from the streets which will impact traffic. The other thing to watch out for are fallen electrical lines.

You have to admit it, as far as weather goes, we have it pretty nice in L.A.. When we have weather events like the rare snowfall or really strong winds or rain, I sort of enjoy the change and know that I won't see it again for awhile. Be well.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm not from your area, but we get wind gusts that shake the house up so much I feel like the house is going to fall apart.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'm in Northern California and it's crazy windy up here, too. (Not San Francisco - I'm in the REAL Nor. Cal., 2 hours north of Sacramento).

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Well since you started a thread about strong winds - Here in Vegas it is very windy tonight. Here's a link where you can get an idea of current surface winds and winds aloft also showing pressure systems: Aviation Weather Center... Looks like somewhere up in Canada they are getting some 40+ sustained winds tonight.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I think this might be of some use. It's not LA, but it is California.

wind gusts

And this just came up in my Youtube subscriptions:

edit on 30-11-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join