It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Bet None of You Can Be Hypnotized: That's Why You're Here.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I was at a festival once with a hypnotist on stage it was a really sticky hot summer day there was nowhere to sit in the shade, except the stage.
My boyfriend wanted to watch the show really bad, so I was like fine, whatever and volunteered myself as a subject basically just to get some relief from the sun.
I played along, I wasn't sure if the other people who also volunteered did the same but as you said he sent about 3/4 of the people off the stage and kept the ones he thought were under his spell.
I wasn't but I suppose I just acted it well enough.
It was like a game of monkey see monkey do or Simon says lol.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Believe me, I've always been staunch and stubburn in my strong willed ways, but like a previous poster stated, you can't be hypnotized against your will (presumably you can, with outside pharmaceutical influence, or some other rash method, but for the purpose of this argument, we'll go with they ol' classic hypnotist, be it an entertainer, therapist, or yourself). It's also near impossible if the person is the type to sit and think, "am I there? am I hypnotized yet?? what about now?" With a complete and total absence of these, and all thoughts, you can get your brain into a state of hypnosis. It does take work. I have been hypnotized before, and actually use self hypnosis for studying, and when I use it regularly, ROCK at tests and can recall any tiny detail without effort. BUT I had no success the first few times because I didn't know what feeling I was looking for, and once you feel yourself slip down, just the thought of "OH! I think that's it!" is enough to jerk you back up and out again.

Think about this though... ever been driving home, and realize your suddenly in your driveway, having made the entirety of your regular drive, stoplights and all, with no memory of it at all? That's a state of hypnosis. Spacing out, and realize that everyone around you is looking at you, waiting for an answer to a question that's been posed minutes earlier, and you had no idea what was going around you? Hypnotic state. You have a sleepy state, a sleeping state, a dreaming state, a deeeep sleep no dream state, and somewhere between just sleepy tired and sleeping is something like hypnosis. Just another state of mind.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by magicrat

Ha!

edit on 1-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Life as individual thinker has been anything but easy. If I could trade my intelligence and insight and perception for the privilege of being just an average sheep amongst the sheep, I'd do it. Sheeple are the happiest people on earth, and they comprise the majority--not the minority. Sheeple are positive and upbeat; sheeple smile and look at the bright side of life; sheeple are "people persons," and they usually have a sort of comfortable charm about them; sheeple are politically correct; sheeple "go with the flow;" and sheeple never, ever feel the need to communicate what they are really thinking and feeling. Sheeple never--ever--suffer the burdens of individuality.

The difference between a sheep and an individual is that an individual can see through the smoke, mirrors, illusions, and manipulations that the greater vast majority of society thrives in. People don't like that. People prefer it when you're stupid; they don't like it when you actually see them.

Hmm, so yeah, you might say I know all about what it's like when you can't be hypnotized--so to speak.

Alas, I cannot be a sheep. I would if I could. Life is far, far too difficult and extraordinarily disappointing and painful when you cannot blend with the flock. I can't blend.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I once was hypnotized, because I asked a friend to do it. It worked nice. He just had a crash course hypnosis.
Normally I am very stubborn, hypnosis would be difficult.

I hypnotised a nephew of me because he asked. It worked nice. I had my info from some books.

There is always this discussion going on about the possibility to hypnotise someone that does not want to cooperate.
I have the answer. So here this discussion should stop.
The answer is yes, it can be done.
I tell you how it is done.

In psychiatry using hypnosis can be beneficial.
Often the patient is not cooperative.
Then they ask someone that is really close to this patient to cooperate.
The patient must really love this person or feel responsible for him or her.
An excuse is found to put this friend under hypnosis.
The patient is told, we are going to hypnotise your friend, and we know your are very reluctant to this procedure.
Your friend has asked you to be with him/her during the sessions, to prevent any form of abuse or foul play.
So the patient is gonna be the NOT hypnotised party during this sessions.

After a few sessions the patient relaxes and really follows the procedure and gets very lightly hypnotised.
This is repeated several times, than the patient really goes into hypnosis.

This is how it is done, using a trick

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
MRuss That is true of me. I cannot be hypnotized, and many many have tried throughout my lifetime. My personal experiences allow for me to essentially be meditating lightly at all times awake, and I lucid dream the most glorious scenes I choose and wish to experience when I sleep, which I do, like a baby. I'm not able to be hypnotized because I will never give my will over to another for any reason, ever, ever.

I'm very proud of it and have endured much hard times lived through to have a frame of reference, obviously from my own opinion. heh.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I studied Hypnosis in college as part of a psychology course.

Personalities do effect our ability to be "put under". Studies have shown that people with wild imaginations and have an interest in things like sci-fi and fantasy are easier to be put under and go deeper into hypnosis than those who are generally sceptical and only believe in things they can see/measure.

It is a form of role playing, similar to how you play as a young child. When you are pretending to be a lion you actually feel like you are a real lion! Akin to the placebo effect. (The human brain is incredible – I believe the science behind the placebo effect will change humanity if we can understand it) I digress.

So for someone who might describe themselves as lacking in a flamboyant imagination, maybe experiencing a less deep or intense sense of hypnosis, they may not necessarily believe they were hypnotised… Especially if they compare their experience to someone who has a wild imagination and had an intense experience of hypnosis… Thus “proving” their experience was not the same and therefore they were not hypnotised.

Source

My guess is that most people, like myself, on ATS are from the first group and therefore easier to be put under. That is not saying they have a weaker mind.

Essentially if you don’t want to be hypnotised or believe it won’t work, it probably will not have an effect on you. I really wanted to stop smoking and knew hypnotism worked by tapping into your subconscious mind.

I went for two 1 hour sessions and went from a 20 a day habbit to 0 a day after the first hour. That was 6 years ago and I haven’t smoked tobacco since. My brother on the other hand didn’t want to really stop smoking but he was convinced to go to get hypnotised to stop, he also didn’t really know the science behind hypnosis and thought it was just a stage trick. So it never worked on him.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

It is true there are many out there who simply can NOT be hypnotized at all. It's actually a sign of strength.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
So, what's my point?
Perhaps a lot of the folks at ATS are harder to "brainwash" too. We are of strong minds, willing to leap from the norm and straddle topics that others are in disbelief about. Obviously, the "brainwashing" techniques of TPTB haven't worked on us, because, in fact, here we all are, and we're all pretty clear about what's really going on in the world.

Nice theory
and you may be partly right...

But I see a lot of brainwashed people on the other side of the fence

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Hypnosis is just a bunch of trickery, not in any way different from meditation. And meditation is the same as closing your eyes and realxing, floating in your thoughts.

So no, you won't be hypnotized if you are not susceptible to suggestion.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by MRuss

The strong willed are usually the easiest to hypnotize because they have good focus and concentration.

OP. Ever find yourself so focused on the TV that you didn't hear someone talking to you until they finally got your attention?

no. I process the whole of my surroundings holistically. I have CAPD, and don't filter informaton. Hypnosis doesn't work on me in the least.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Snap, very short answer, but exactley the same as you, been for some hypnotherapy have tried numerous times never ever worked, i used to think i was a freak lol. Come to think of it i probably am but that is another story.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

No! It is not a sign of strength! If you or the OP understood hypnosis at all, the idea of strong or weak, smart or ignorant, sheeple or awake, and so on wouldn't even enter into the equation. And the OP wouldn't have started this thread to begin with.

I'll say it again. Only those who have a low IQ, mental problems that affect them deeply, or major trust issues, have problems getting into the hypnotice state.

If you have ever daydreamed. If you have ever been so focused on the TV or reading that you didn't hear someone talking to you, or time seems to have gone very fast or slow. If you can go to sleep at night without sleeping pills, you will make a good subject for hypnosis or self-hypnosis unless you fall into one of the above categories. In which case, I feel for you.

Again, the inability to be hypnotized is nothing to be proud of. Being proud of it and thinking it means you're strong just shows ignorance. (No offense intended by that statement)
edit on 12/1/2011 by Klassified because: eta and correction

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

If you had read both of my posts, you would have seen I addressed people who have mental/physical problems. In your case, self hypnosis will work better unless you have problems with focus or concentration.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

edit on 12/1/2011 by Klassified because: Nevermind. Just surprised, that's all.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

If you had read both of my posts, you would have seen I addressed people who have mental/physical problems. In your case, self hypnosis will work better unless you have problems with focus or concentration.

I have no clue what you're trying to say here. I don't have problems with focus or concentration, and can't be hypnotized. That must mean I have mental/physical problems.

Yeah....that makes sense!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Interesting that you brought this thought up, friend. I too cannot be hypnotized, several have attempted it, all with no success. The same you "brainwashing." I have never fell into the cult like thinking of any faith or trends, never felt part of the crowd, one of the guys, anything like that. I don't own a cell phone, or X-Box, and never felt like playing any games at all on my computer. I'm not saying those are the traits of a brainwashed person, but I am different from those.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I have no clue what you're trying to say here. I don't have problems with focus or concentration, and can't be hypnotized. That must mean I have mental/physical problems.

Yeah....that makes sense!

I give up. Have it your way. It has become obvious only a few in this thread are interested in knowing the truth.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
huhh - where am i???

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

It could be that you never truly wanted to be hypnotized. I can't say for certainty it's what happened, but it might have been. It's hard to say. Hypnosis depends on your willingness to do something. I can dispel the popular myth that once your hypnotized you can be convinced to do anything. I've been hypnotized. It doesn't work that way. You know EXACTLY what's going on, and you can choose whether you do what you're told or not. I've resisted hypnotic suggestion before.

However you could be right that many of the members of ATS are more resistant to hypnotism. But I think it may depend on whether they choose to resist it or not. Once again, I CAN be hypnotized if I allow it. But for me there's a huge difference in being hypnotized to talk into my shoe like a cell phone, and being "brainwashed" about the state of the world. For the former I would be willing to be hypnotized. DEFINITELY not the latter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join