It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you approach it with friends?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
oh, mods if I'm in the wrong place please feel free to move me....

Aside from my 'friends' on here, you gotta admit the pending SHTF scenerio is difficult to bring up with old (and new friends).
The other day I brought it up after a few drinks on Thanksgiving with friends. I was shocked when the couple I was hanging with was ALL over it! Of course, this led to an evening of very interesting conversation.
They are now planning on taking me to their 'compound' when/if it happens. They have land even farther out in the country and plan on going so far as building what they are calling a compound. kind of scary.
I've never met anyone in person that really agreed with me., that really saw it coming too.
So I'm still tripping on this, so many people reject it in person.
Even my sister, I'm getting through to her and she no doubt feels the pull too, but as yet isn't making any plans , progress, even a wood stove would be a good start.
anyone else in my world?

edit on 30-11-2011 by horseplay because: for the mods

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

Practice caution with any people who hold fanatical beliefs. Make sure you do some background checks on these people before you decide to randomly "bug-out" with them.
edit on 30-11-2011 by smileypants because: spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I have a few buddies at work that I discuss things with all the time but they aren’t doing as much as I am…mostly due to financial limitations. I brought it up once to a close buddy of mine (old Marine buddy and one of the few people I consider a close friend). He thinks I’m overreacting….though admittedly he’s not very engaged as far as politics, current events, etc. Aside from that, I haven’t really approached anyone. Thankfully my wife is 100% on board.

Your post may have encouraged me to approach others I know!
S&F

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Ive let go of being worried about people thinking im crazy. I tell them straight up I love conspiracies but not necessarily believe all of them. I did bring this conspiracy about shtf if the euro crumbles up with a friend and sent them to the drudge report when all the headlines were about collapse of euro and other things. It made it easy he was like, I still think its not going to happen, but wow!

edit on 30-11-2011 by calnorak because: clarify

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by smileypants

the odd thing is , we are on the same page , pretty much.
I have know them for about 10 years. just never brought it up.
I don't have plans to 'bug out', I really want to stay in my own home IF it happens. I already have alternative heat, water, plenty of food, horses for transportation, etc. Of course, depending on how ugly things get I might have to move on. Or I may die defending my place, who knows what it will be like. IF it happens, that is.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This be my home, I will die defending it if I have to. I won't leave without a fight, bloody or deadly if need be.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by horseplay
reply to post by smileypants

the odd thing is , we are on the same page , pretty much.
I have know them for about 10 years. just never brought it up.
I don't have plans to 'bug out', I really want to stay in my own home IF it happens. I already have alternative heat, water, plenty of food, horses for transportation, etc. Of course, depending on how ugly things get I might have to move on. Or I may die defending my place, who knows what it will be like. IF it happens, that is.

Just ask them casually, "So what do you think about 2012? End of the world huh?" make them laugh with it, and then squeeze in FACTS that actually bring up good questions.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Okay, now I get it. Makes complete sense to have a secondary location planned out in case of disaster, especially in the presence of long-time friends whom you can trust.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
This be my home, I will die defending it if I have to. I won't leave without a fight, bloody or deadly if need be.

you made me laugh.
I just like my little farm and don't want to leave it unless I have to.
and I'm a single chick... don't know if I can defend my castle alone or not.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I don't say anything to anybody and don't plan on it, except for my immediate family who is on the same page. I don't think anything will happen, but I'm prepared if something does. Nobody knows what is going to happen, so why bother saying something, we can only assume that something will, which doesn't sound very smart.

Just a hint, if you like your job and plan on moving up, don't say anything to anyone at work if you don't wanna be know as "that guy" even if someone else brings it up.
edit on 11/30/2011 by taws6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

what facts ?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

as you have posted this in 2012 , my answer is we laugh at the fools who believe in a prophesied 2012 event

but we do realistically discuss realistic posibilities , such as :

would the UK ecconomy survive the total or partial collapse of the EURO

would our residences survive the fallout of a tsunami from a catatstropic erruption of Roque Nublo [ canary islands ] , and if not how would those at risk get to a safe location

CME , terror attak or other cause of failure of the national grid

etc etc

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Compound? yikes

And prepared? People hoarding food, stock-piling weapons, secret bunkers... give me a break.

IF and when something of that magnitude happens we only need to be mentally and spiritually prepared

I have already chosen a side, have you?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

I was just joking about my compound. It's just a farmhouse.
And I'm not making a secret bunker, my friends are talking about it but I don't want to go there.... both literally and figuratively. I'm not that far gone. yet.
I don't really think if anything happens it'll be the end, I really think it'll be a beginning. But if the 'grid' goes down in the dead of winter, alot of people are in trouble. I would imagine those people will be looking for food and shelter.

I don't necessarily believe things will happen on THAT day, but I can see Mother Earth going through some natural changes soon. Probably a few weeks (or maybe months) of going back about 100 years, no modern amenities for a while. Shoot, it'll might even be kind of fun.
But it doesn't hurt to be prepared does it?
Now I'm wondering how many other friends I should bring this up with. How many are like minded. How many will just think I'm off my rocker.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
When I bring any of this up with friends, I usually try not to be too 'preachy' about things. I'm actually pretty light hearted about it. They all know I'm a conspiracy nut but they know I back up with facts as much as I can, and admit if I don't have the answers. I basically keep it simple, introducing topic matter more as novel ideas that challenge their views on the world without threatening their views, and when they seem to be waning in interest or don't feel comfortable talking about it anymore, I just reinforce that they need not listen to everything they're being told, and fear things they're being told to fear, because in the end none of it matters. As bill Hicks says, its just a ride. All your money woes, all the world economy crashing, all the threats of war going around the world today, all the governmental powers.... none of it matter. Its just a bunch of shiny things with bright colors that they like to sell you on. If the world does start to go to hell in a hand basket in 2012 (for which I take as possibility but not fact), then I think that's the most important message I can bestow. If police come barging in your door claiming your someones property, just remember, its not real, and as a human being, they have no power over you. Probably one of the greatest survival factors there is. Course, I usually keep it shorter and end the conversation with that

Its not my job to convince people of the dark and sadistic underbelly of this world. If I were to try, I would be no better than the MSM, the politicians, and so on. And I would be disturbed to find someone who took my words and did not follow through with their own investigations. That actually sounds eerily like some of these cults that emerge here and there. All I can do is raise doubt in their minds and hopefully open their minds enough to explore their own answers. One cannot be taught the truth, one has to feel it for themselves

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I get what you're saying, I was just joking around...

True, we didn't take care of the Earth so the Earth is taking care of itself.

As far as being prepared... I don't know. I kind of fly by the seat of my pants and things always work out so, I'm just not concerned about it. If and when shtf in 20 Twelve, I'll grab a hold of it, beat the crap out of it and make it my bitch

I am lucky to have like-minded family and very good friends who all pretty much agree that we are all experiencing some changes. Everything is slightly off... social, economic, environment... just "feels" different. So we wait.... I don't buy into the 2012 hype really but I am confident things will change drastically over the next few years. They have too.... Think about the amount of energy people are putting into it, the energy has to go somewhere right?

Anyway.... usually if I'm with people who either don't know or are not really into it, I'll just wait for the opportunity to make an off-handed joke about it. Typically a pretty good discussion ensues from there. I just hate it when people go around saying "it's the end of the world". It's just a flat out ignorant statement.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Don't assume I believe. I simply answered his question. He didn't ask for your unnecessary criticism.

People will believe what they want, there is no point in fighting over a belief.

top topics

join