It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bill pushed to make it illegal to openly criticize the actions of Israel in American universities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
ZIONISM’S ZOA PUSHES TO MAKE ALL CAMPUS CRITICISM OF ISRAEL ILLEGAL

Under ZOA’s reading of the new provisions in Title VI, school officials may arrest, expel, or bring all sorts of what Arlo Guthrie might describe as “mean and ugly” actions against students. teachers, or even boards of trustees, who use their freedom of speech to criticize Israel’s policies. As Klein sees it, ZOA has been instrumental in pushing the US Department of Education to place the state of Israel and its student supporters, under the same provision that protects LGBT and disabled students from bullying and discrimination.

This seems to be about [edit] a year old so I'm sorry if it's been discussed before or if it's in the wrong forum. But someone mentioned it in another thread and I thought it worthy of a thread.

Now I'm not American myself. But can someone explain to me how could this be done or be acceptable? I mean how far could Israel's grip on the US go? The thread this was mentioned at was about Israeli manipulation of US media. Which I'm sure most people here already knew about. And then you have Israel's role in the US's horrible foreign policy which looks more to benefit Israel than it does the US itself. And now you potentially have this. What's next, really?

edit on 30-11-2011 by Arsenalwa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
shhhhhhh you're being racist. However you may not be aware of that and may indeed be a closet racist in that case. Either way you're racist so stop hating the Jews already. jeeees

I think it's all been said before. Criticize Israel = racism (somehow......)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Personally I support Israel; but ANY attack on the First Amendment is unacceptable. Freedom of speech is one of the bedrocks upon which this republic was founded, and yes that included unpopular speech; actually "unpopular" speech is exactly what the First Amendment was written to protect.

Since you aren't an American, you might need this: First Amendment Wiki

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It looks like they are trying to stretch the language of Title VI to define criticism of Israel as "anti-semitism" and use Title VI to strip schools who criticize Israel of federal funding.

In Secretary Arnie Duncan’s announcement, along with protection for LGBT and disabled students, there is now an added category of students who gain protection under Title VI: Members of any religious group that has “shared ethnic characteristics”.

Eyal Mazor warns in a posting on the Jewish Voices for Peace blog, Muzzle Watch, that Title VI’s addition of ”shared ethnic characteristics” should be a concern to anyone concerned about, or working to preserve, the right of students to organize for peace and justice in Palestine and Israel on American campuses.

Israel and its US Zionist allies have consistently maintained that criticism of the actions of the government of the state of Israel is, ipso facto, anti-semitism.

If US courts decide to interpret criticism of Israel’s actions as anti-semitism, then colleges and universities, for whom federal funding is the “holy grail” of education, will have been handed a coercive weapon beyond their wildest dreams.

Under ZOA’s reading of the new provisions in Title VI, school officials may arrest, expel, or bring all sorts of what Arlo Guthrie might describe as “mean and ugly” actions against students. teachers, or even boards of trustees, who use their freedom of speech to criticize Israel’s policies.

Source

So its not some new bill that Congress might vote on; its already existing legislation that they are trying to use to outlaw criticism of Israel.

Pretty damn sinister if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Extremely damned sinister, I agree. I have no love for any country that acts like a schoolyard bully just because his daddy (the USA) is the biggest dog on the block....but to make it a crime to voice my opinion? In the words of Bart Simpson,"EAT MY SHORTS."

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
First, I'd note this was from Nov 1 2010 by the article date, and largely talking about concerns IF republicans won serious power in both houses, which they didn't. They only got the house and nothing really changed in a meaningful way for the Senate.

I'm missing where this really pertains to Jews as a specific consideration though. Despite what one Rep. from California apparently said and a couple other people suggesting what might have been if Repubs had won both sides last Nov, it seems fairly neutral?

In Secretary Arnie Duncan’s announcement, along with protection for LGBT and disabled students, there is now an added category of students who gain protection under Title VI: Members of any religious group that has “shared ethnic characteristics”.

Under this administration in particular, I would consider this far more likely to be used in covering Arab and Muslim students than Jewish ones. Obama and his DHS/Justice Departments don't seem predisposed to showing Israel any special handling at the moment, if they ever had. I suppose another Bush in office would tend to the Jewish student side of how this can be applied, but Obama? Well...not given the fact Republicans just brought gridlock, not a change of power.

Duncan's background wouldn't suggest a terribly pro-Israel position either...

Prior to his appointment as secretary of education, Duncan served as the chief executive officer of the Chicago Public Schools, a position to which he was appointed by Mayor Richard M. Daley, from June 2001 through December 2008, becoming the longest-serving big-city education superintendent in the country.
Source

It's still a disturbing way to consider interpretations of Title VI though. It might have been BETTER if it had been specific to Jews. It would be easier to get rid of or fight that way. The vague nature of this leaves it as a blunt club to whack several groups with depending on who is setting the agenda at that time.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The ADL must be getting tired of calling and threatening professors. The way this country puts Israel on a pedestal is disgusting.
edit on 30-11-2011 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh, 2010, sorry. Somehow thought it was from November 2011.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

take it from the mouth of a survivor.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arsenalwa
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh, 2010, sorry. Somehow thought it was from November 2011.

No major thing... The date effects context a bit but it doesn't change that interpretation and thinking by the man who is still sitting as our Secretary of Education. Informative article. I hadn't been aware of Title VI related to this kind of thing. It's good to know, if not a pleasant thing to learn of.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
There are also anti-boycott laws that are pro-Israel.

Several nations have them, including the U.S.

Many bases are covered in many ball parks.

Those Who Criticize Israel's Anti-Boycott Law Forget The US Has One Too

The U.S. Laws Prohibits among others:

•"Agreements to refuse or actual refusal to do business with or in Israel or with blacklisted companies.

•"Agreements to discriminate or actual discrimination against other persons based on race, religion, sex, national origin or nationality.

•"Agreements to furnish or actual furnishing of information about business relationships with or in Israel or with blacklisted companies.

•"Agreements to furnish or actual furnishing of information about the race, religion, sex, or national origin of another person."

Acting against the U.S. laws is considered a criminal behavior and carry with it penalties of up to $1 million and 20 years imprisonment per violation.

references;

antiboycottcompliance

48 C.F.R. 652.225-71 Section 8(a) of the Export Administration Act of 1979, as Amended

Israel's Anti-BDS Bill Is Not An Attack On Free Speech ?

new topics

top topics

join