It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TeamPoison Busts Into the UN and Leaks Passwords

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

TeamPoison Busts Into the UN and Leaks Passwords

gizmodo.com

The tech security gurus at the United Nations just got quite a startle: A team of hackers posted about 1000 login credentials for United Nations staff members on PasteBin.

The hackers at TeamPoison reportedly exploited a security vulnerability on the UN Development Program website to obtain the usernames and passwords of UN Staff.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

the article goes on to say :

The group's post on PasteBin accuses the UN of a long list of crimes ranging from mundane corruption to more existential transgressions like trying "to facilitate the introduction of a New World Order and a One World Government" which would necessitate crushing human individuality.

TeamPoison previously hacked RIM's blog to and leaked Tony Blair's private address book. In a separate story this morning, Team Poison has publicly teamed up with Anonymous to launch a hacking operation against banks. [Naked Security via Techmeme]

Nice stunt. Here is the link to the pastebin release. It still amazes me that these high security targets keep getting hacked on a regular basis.

So "Team Poison has publicly teamed up with Anonymous" , is this real or are we just going to be told at a later date that it was a hoax just like most of the other high profile Anon Ops of the last few months?

Ive just looked over some of the released info and whats blown me away is just how many on the users at the UN have used a password thats exactly the same as thier user name
Just how monumnetaly stupid is that? How could they even have a system that would allow them to do that in the first place?

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 30-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I believe these were determined to be "old" emails / pw's housed on a server that had been running without updates since 2007.

Unless the story has changed. I sure do wish they'd do it for real though.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
posted before

& post about
#OpRobinHood - Anonymous & TeamPoison co-op

next time use the
ATS Search
edit on 30-11-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

Chill Hessdalen, you can have a story in BAN and another forum. Maybe you should learn the rules before being so quick to criticize.

edit on 30-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
I believe these were determined to be "old" emails / pw's housed on a server that had been running without updates since 2007.

You do realize that if they were to do something like that, it would probably be the catalyst to secure internet censorship and limit and control the flow of information on the internet dont you?

These two "hacker" groups everyone is getting behind, do nothing but undermine open usage of the internet.....

You think the world governments out there dont have hackers JUST as good or better then these people? Just where do you think they get their "hackers" from?

think people..........think

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by eXia7

You do realize that if they were to do something like that, it would probably be the catalyst to secure internet censorship and limit and control the flow of information on the internet dont you?

These two "hacker" groups everyone is getting behind, do nothing but undermine open usage of the internet.....

You think the world governments out there dont have hackers JUST as good or better then these people? Just where do you think they get their "hackers" from?

think people..........think

Oh I'm fully aware of internet censorship hazards by doing petty things. I'm just saying, if ur gonna do something, make it worth it.

I also believe it's NOT ok to sit by idle and just allow them to censor the internet and our freedoms. Just sayin.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Oh I'm fully aware of internet censorship hazards by doing petty things. I'm just saying, if ur gonna do something, make it worth it. I also believe it's NOT ok to sit by idle and just allow them to censor the internet and our freedoms. Just sayin.

Make it worth it? What is worth having the internet censored? I would think NOTHING would be worth that.......

What amount of meddling by self important script kiddies is worth governments taking control of yet another form of communication?

I Say nothing.....

there is a difference between sitting idly by . and being foolhearty in your pursuits......

Only the young, stupid, or those who are complicit with the government (can we say Anon could be a gov establishment) are so reckless in their endeavours, to make the situation worse then it was before they started
edit on 30-11-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by eXia7

Oh I'm fully aware of internet censorship hazards by doing petty things. I'm just saying, if ur gonna do something, make it worth it. I also believe it's NOT ok to sit by idle and just allow them to censor the internet and our freedoms. Just sayin.

Make it worth it? What is worth having the internet censored? I would think NOTHING would be worth that.......

What amount of meddling by self important script kiddies is worth governments taking control of yet another form of communication?

I Say nothing.....

there is a difference between sitting idly by . and being foolhearty in your pursuits......

Only the young, stupid, or those who are complicit with the government (can we say Anon could be a gov establishment) are so reckless in their endeavours, to make the situation worse then it was before they started
edit on 30-11-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

What makes you so sure the internet wouldn't be censored if all of this "hacking" buisness never even came about?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
You can tell how these ''hackers'' are nothing more than inadequate attention-seekers with no real cause or expertise.

Breaching a security flaw and releasing 5-year-old password details from members of the UN Developmental Agency is claimed to be ''hacking the UN''.

While Lulzsec claimed to ''bring down the CIA'' when they took its website down for about half an hour.

Unfortunately, the bottom-feeders and fanboys to groups like AnonyKids think that they're going to be their saviours from ''the man'', without seemingly realising that their ''knights in shining armour'' are nothing more than spotty 14-year-old script kiddies. If it wasn't so tragic, it'd be funny. Wait a moment, it is still pretty funny.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I just found this info :

A spokeswoman for the UNDP said the agency believed "an old server which contains old data" had been targeted.

"The UNDP found [the] compromised server and took it offline," said Sausan Ghosheh.

"The server goes back to 2007. There are no active passwords listed for those accounts.

"Please note that UNDP.org was not compromised."

Im wondering if this is true or its just damage control designed to save face. Also they say the server goes back to 2007 not exactly how old the login credentials are supposed to be.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I just found this info :

A spokeswoman for the UNDP said the agency believed "an old server which contains old data" had been targeted.

"The UNDP found [the] compromised server and took it offline," said Sausan Ghosheh.

"The server goes back to 2007. There are no active passwords listed for those accounts.

"Please note that UNDP.org was not compromised."

Im wondering if this is true or its just damage control designed to save face. Also they say the server goes back to 2007 not exactly how old the login credentials are supposed to be.

I do to some degree also believe the possibility of it being a smoke screen, but only time shall tell on this little saga.

I'm excited to take the seat of the observer on this, I'm an avid computer user, with some interesting talents, and I like to see what others choose to do with their own.

new topics

top topics

join