It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian arms in US backyard: Back in Cuba

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Russian arms in US backyard: Back in Cuba

rt.com

Russia has launched a military partnership project with its Cold War ally Cuba, amid rising tensions over US plans to deploy an anti-missile system in Europe.

Russian contractors are to supply production equipment for manufacturing 6.52-mm rifle rounds, Kommersant daily reports. Cuban arms plant called Comandante Ernesto Che Guevara will also receive a license and technology for recycling used ammo.

The daily cites its sources as saying that Havana officials decided to purchase the equipment after visiting a similar production line in Venezuela. The insider did not reveal any details
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ynetnews.com
www.ynetnews.com

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Is it me or is this some sort of move by the Russians??.There has been alot of posturing going on in the last 3 days(Pakistan closing supply lines,Russia threatning to close routes,Aircraft carriers from both U.S. and Russia)

Italy,Germany and Britian bringing diplomats home,the iranian embassy in sweden was attacked today.This is a lilttle bit more than business as usual going on here.

There are stories coming in hourly about the situation and the American MSM are turning a deaf ear to it.What gives???

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

A big powder keg of countries that are problem ridden are getting ready to explode. Hopefully not but it does seem to point that way. Not much anyone can do but wait and see what the next "Show" is.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Yeah I agree with you,something is going to set it over the tipping point and it al will go up.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Uh.....the cuban military has been using "Russian arms" for some time......Cuban military equipment - a contract for small arms ammunition is not exactly all that stunning!!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What's the maximum age for the draft?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

True it is not that stunning,but why the need to 1.manufacture ammo a half a world away and 2.why does cuba need to make ammo and last but not least maybe the current stockpile of Russian ammo is not enough for the upcoming need or maybe they plan on doind something closer and not have to wait for a supply drop

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Unfortunately I don't think 6.52mm (.256in) recycled rifle ammo Is going to do much deterring vs a missile defense shield

However, I'm sure the real goal here is to reestablish arms trade between the two for if or when missiles need to be transferred over. Or like previously said...have a huge supply island right beside your target, that most of said targets conventional rifles won't use..(or do they?)
edit on 30-11-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-11-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
the drums of war are getting louder, can you hear them?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

There is more to the story than small arms i agree there is a underlying reason not yet known to us

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well here's a similarity.....If the USA can supply Israel/India....etc with Nukes and other such toys, They'll look pretty hypocritical if they complain against Russia arming Cuba and South America.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Russia are becoming very active of recent. They are talking about making a missile defence system with China and Iran too...

Funny how there is war on the horizon as soon as the peeps start waking up...

edit on 30-11-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Yeah thereis a thread going on now and yes Russia has become very active is it true he addressed his country recently what was said

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
exactly, this is just a initial play, it will build on this.
Also, i doubt recycling rounds is the ACTUALLY occurings here.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Seems like it's just a matter of time until we find some nukes there....again.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012

True it is not that stunning,but why the need to 1.manufacture ammo a half a world away and 2.why does cuba need to make ammo and last but not least maybe the current stockpile of Russian ammo is not enough for the upcoming need or maybe they plan on doind something closer and not have to wait for a supply drop

Why not make ammo where it is used? As the article says, ther is already a plant in Venezuela - it would seem the plants are actually quite small on a "global" scale.

Cuba has military, military uses ammo - even in peace time, and it also needs to replace time-expired ammo - what is it you think is strange about that??

What do you think the "upcoiming need" is? Is the US planning on invading Cuba again??

Cuban gear is grossly old and obsolete - dating to the 1960's - the best tank they had was the T62, and they probably still have some T34's from WW2 around somewhere too!!

Cuban military spending dropped markedly after the dissolution of hte USSR, and started picking up again with an improving economy in the 2000's - eg see here

Basically Cuba has seriously old equipment, and any suggestion that updating it is unusual is a good sign of paranoia!!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizen519
Seems like it's just a matter of time until we find some nukes there....again.

Seriously? they are going to recycle 6mm ammo, and you think this means they are going to have nukes???

No wonder the west is falling appart with this sort of thinking!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
No biggie.

But if NATO continue their missile defense crap... I remember a few years back, Putin said that they could put nuclear bombers in Cuba if NATO continued putting their missile shield near Russia...

Since Putin will be reelected next year... if NATO continues, we might see this happening.

Edit :
Russia contemplates using Cuba to refuel nuclear bombers

Russia is considering the use of bases in Cuba for its nuclear bombers, in a move that revives memories of the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, according to reports in a Russian newspaper.

Russian military sources said that Moscow is contemplating using Cuba as a refuelling base for its nuclear-bomb carrying aircraft. The move would be in retaliation for the Bush administration's plan to site a missile defence shield in Europe.

Of course all denied at the time...
edit on 30-11-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Getting rounds reloaded is a far cry from putting active nukes in the ground! In reality, I think the US deserves this. Cuba has been a great global destination for decades, and it is right here in our own backyard, and we ignore it. We should have opened up trade and tourism decades ago. I had high hopes Obama would do just that, but as in most of his campaign rhetoric, not much happened. He did ease the travel restrictions on family members a little I suppose.

So, I applaud Russia for doing what the US has been too stupid to do. Build trade alliances with people, create jobs, and find mutually beneficial relationships.

Maybe Ron Paul will get a shot to overhaul our foreign policy. We desperately need it.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

No, but if things continue on the path they're on now then it doesn't seem so crazy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join