It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eisenhower Would Occupy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
A lot of people on the live feeds on occupy in NYC spoke of the Military Industrial Complex when I watched on N 17.

We were warned.

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Again..

"Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods"

Not my words, not occupier's words. Dwight D Eisenhower's!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Good words.

The citizenry must become a force all in itself, not a bunch of careless followers.

Unionize America? Too scary or too necessary, or both? Isn't this how it was always supposed to be, or no?
edit on 30-11-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Good words.

The citizenry must become a force all in itself, not a bunch of careless followers.

Unionize America? Too scary or too necessary?

I don't know what the solution is, I am not really a fan of unions, I think the first thing we need to do is get our fellow citizens informed because most people don't know what the military industrial complex is.

We can do that by protest, whether under the label of occupy or otherwise, and we talk with our friends and family and spread on the internet.

First thing first, get people informed. I believe we need to get active because I fear eventually it may be too late.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Dwight would have laughed, removed his eyeglasses, wiped his eyes, and sadly shook his head at OWS.

I do applaud OWS for a few things, don't get me wrong. And the MIC is undoubtedly a major player in the downfall of a super power. Jerks.

The only thing a drum circle is gonna do to the MIC, however, is make evident that not many of them warmongers have rhythm.

Maybe OWS should try a fire walk next?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Occupy is sort of a union all in itself.

Do you think a citizen's union with goals of reducing the size of government and instating direct democracy into America would help? Basically fielding independent candidates and getting things done through petitions, heavy political involvement, electing officials with no current or previous ties to government, etc. I know these are things most people normally seem to associate with the negative, but with advances in technology and communication maybe it really is time for direct democracy to work?

E-democracy

Most Unions themselves appear to be vulnerable to corruption as well, but I don't know of any workers unions that are e-democracies, though there may be one somewhere. If not a citizens union in its entirety, maybe just a Middle-lower income union with goals less grandeur in nature.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by CREAM

Occupy is sort of a union all in itself.

Do you think a citizen's union with goals of reducing the size of government and instating direct democracy into America would help? Basically fielding independent candidates and getting things done through petitions, heavy political involvement, electing officials with no current or previous ties to government, etc. I know these are things most people normally seem to associate with the negative, but with advances in technology and communication maybe it really is time for direct democracy to work?

E-democracy

Most Unions themselves appear to be vulnerable to corruption as well, but I don't know of any workers unions that are e-democracies, though there may be one somewhere. If not a citizens union in its entirety, maybe just a Middle-lower income union with goals less grandeur in nature.

I don't know, I don't feel very good about straying from the constitution, but direct democracy is another common theme of occupy.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Dwight would have laughed, removed his eyeglasses, wiped his eyes, and sadly shook his head at OWS.

I do applaud OWS for a few things, don't get me wrong. And the MIC is undoubtedly a major player in the downfall of a super power. Jerks.

The only thing a drum circle is gonna do to the MIC, however, is make evident that not many of them warmongers have rhythm.

Maybe OWS should try a fire walk next?

Yeah, he would totally laugh at this guy, silly hippy ranting about the military industrial complex and the fed and bring back production jobs to America... What a loony...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Of course he said all that AFTER sending in the CIA to help overthrow Iran

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
Of course he said all that AFTER sending in the CIA to help overthrow Iran

Hypocrites are often right.

I smoke cigarettes, and me I'm telling you it's bad for you does not make it good for you.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

Eisenhower was experiencing the beginnings of the secret govt. which he had no control over and he knew that that was a problem.....a very big problem.

The beginnings of the secret govt. that has absolutely no accountability to our system of Govt.

This is what he was warning us about....

The CIA Black Ops begun under Truman with the use of NAZI scientists forming NASA were off limits and outside of the control of the POTUS and this was what Ike was realizing did not fall under the Govt. as defined by the US Constitution.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

As much as we love our firearms they are useless against the military. Peaceful means are the best approach since our democratic system makes no difference. (case in point Barack Obama owned by the PTB)

The OWS movement being peaceful in nature is really what he was referring to when he said " ...with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together."

Look at the Fascist takeover of Germany and what happened in NAZI Germany to justify the invasion of Poland .....the German people were even told that Polish Terrorists attacked the German Border first !

Sound familiar ?

Peace

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
And in 50 years someone will post something about obama on how he would have supported the new movement that has formed. Politicians and elected officials do not change, they have ALWAYS been corrupt a-holes.

George Bush- Evil madman omg Patriot Act is so unconstitutional

Thomas Jefferson/ James Madison - Founding fathers they were so great they would spit on the patriot act [insert quote about freedom here]. Check out the Alien and Sedition Acts
edit on 30-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
And in 50 years someone will post something about obama on how he would have supported the new movement that has formed. Politicians and elected officials do not change, they have ALWAYS been corrupt a-holes.

George Bush- Evil madman omg Patriot Act is so unconstitutional

Thomas Jefferson/ James Madison - Founding fathers they were so great they would spit on the patriot act [insert quote about freedom here]. Check out the Alien and Sedition Acts
edit on 30-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

Ok, who cares, listen to what he is saying and forget who he is.

Sure a lot of people do things that are wrong, that doesn't mean you should believe the reverse of everything they say.

Hitler was a vegetarian, but that doesn't make all vegetarians nazis. Stalin liked dogs (idk I'm making this one up, everyone likes dogs) but that doesn't mean communism is right nor that we shouldn't like dogs. Netanyahu may treat the Palestinians like crap, but that doesn't mean I should hate all jews... etc etc

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Ok, who cares, listen to what he is saying and forget who he is.

Be warry of the military industrial complex?

Sure a lot of people do things that are wrong, that doesn't mean you should believe the reverse of everything they say.

That is not my position at all.

Hitler was a vegetarian, but that doesn't make all vegetarians nazis. Stalin liked dogs (idk I'm making this one up, everyone likes dogs) but that doesn't mean communism is right nor that we shouldn't like dogs. Netanyahu may treat the Palestinians like crap, but that doesn't mean I should hate all jews... etc etc

Not the same at all, and not at all what i was saying.

The politicians of 100 years ago were every bit as corrupt as the ones today and 50 years ago for that matter. I take what they say with a grain of salt. They don't believe in the things they say, so why should I?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

I know, I'm sorry for being that flippant. That's not to say I don't have problems with the ACORN behind the scenes aspect, but the whole drum circle and fire walk thing was uncalled for. Still makes me giggle tho.
Peace.

top topics

join