It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This just isn't right... (Job Applications)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

thats a recipie for getting blackballed ,

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Try the local Veterans Administration medical facility, good pay, benefits AND holidays

www.va.gov...

good luck

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

well...don't lose hope! That is the most important thing. Think about it differently.

Believe that the right job for you is up next!

Ok Human Resource is a asshole area to begin with, but let me tell you some of what your up against.

1. Positions advertised are not necessarily open. They are placed to 'reassure Management' that employee A is not indispensible. Also Statistical purposes.

2. Positions advertised are like tenders (esp in Govt jobs) THEY have to be advertised even when they have already got the person they want.

3. oh the other issue is (because of the economy) Job ads with agencies are FREE! Free advertising...

4. Even small businesses have to appease someone... Cousin or Friend Joe has the job in the bag because of the 'it is not what you know, it is who you know factor' but most of the time it is SOPs. (Standard OP Proceedures) and the HR Person would not have a job if that happened.

5. It also looks good for competitors 'if your hiring' ...

6. If there is a skills shortage, that is good one... basic psychology.. blame the education system...get some Govt funding or wage incentive package for the employee who 'is not 100 per cent skilled. or been out of work for a long time'

7. Do not send out unsuccesful notices just yet because we are that disorganised and short of staff... no decision has been made.

all of the above is true... SO do not take it personally if you unsuccesful with a job application. Most of them are not serious to begin with.

Good thing for your self esteem is to do some voluntary work... and open the newspaper where the jobs are advertised, close your eyes and place the pen anywhere you see fit... Apply for the one that the pen lands on...

Good luck with it... and you better come back to this thread or post a new one saying "I GOT A JOB'

xx
edit on 1-12-2011 by Thurisaz because: sp

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Online Agencies are BS. No good. Use your local resources.

If you use the Online Agencies and submit your res that way (hopefully with a covering letter) that is considered lazy!

Use the direct webpage of each and every Company... Look at Transfield for eg:

Transfield

big Organisations have their own Employment section

even Govt Depts

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

well, stuff the qualifications...don't let that get in the way.

I work in admin area and the best job I had in my whole life was when I worked in a factory grading potatoes.. everyone there was fantastic and it was so much fun.

the type of job where you work to live... not live to work!!

and the money was good.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thrace
My thing is I am 30 and all of my friends have decent jobs and lives of their own and I am struggling. Yeah I live at home with my parents (embarrassing at my age) but I have no other choice unless I want to starve and die on the streets. My mother sat with me today after the phone call I made and expressed how much she admires my courage but also stated the I among many are in the same boat together and it's just going to take time. I am thankful to have parents that don't mind me living with them but it's starting to pressure me since I am 30 and should be on my own.

Another sad thing is... even if I do get a job I can't afford to move out and make it on my own without a roommate or significant other.

omg why don't you just beat yourself up! You are being so mean to yourself!

Deal with one thing at a time... how can you possibly focus and sort one thing out if your loading everything on one pile????

slow up and tackle one thing at a time...

Beejebus, I beg my kids... please come home and live with me again!!
you are obviously loved and adored and wanted. And why the heck would you want to go and live on your own and do that?

pfft, I live on my own and I hate it... I am begging heaps of people... you can live me with.. free of charge!

you can't buy good company

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
reply to post by Thrace

Go talk to them...its free!! to try ..don't cost a dime to ask 'em.

You're now a Reserve Recruiter aren't you?? Just admit it!! *wink*
I'm ex-Navy too...Medical...but that quoted info in your post was just...wrong!! As a Corpsman/ ORT I've built and worked in our Medical Mobilization Units (basically boxcars we unload & connect together to mantain a "clean"
OR) but have never given or received IV's or meds actually out in the field! Also was taught about our most common arms and had to qualify with a .45 (since this is all medical personnel are allowed in defense of our patients) but never made to dissassemble or reassemble any arms!!
And the OP really SHOULD at least inquire into NAVY service since regardless of past physical conditions if you are NOW capable or even mostly capable you probably would be accepted especially with your education and skills!!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Hey, check out this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Job opportunity

SO SAY WE ALL!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thrace
Why post a job that you do not have available? This is wrong for people like me thinking "THIS IS MY CHANCE!", you think you have finally found a job only to get shot down because this job simply does not exist.

That is wrong to do that to people. It takes a lot of time and energy applying for jobs, and it is cruel to do this to people just so they can gain resources for themselves.

Maybe it's just people manipulating the jobs statistics too. Must look good for someone if the jobs section in the newspaper looks full...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You could also try volunteering.
So few and people do nowadays it would make you stand out.
Plus it is another way to network.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatshicray
It makes me scared to hear stories like this considering i only have 3 semesters left of college and if i dont get into law school then i have no idea what kinda careers are waiting for me.

A word of advice. Do not think law school will magically help you! They are churning out record numbers of lawyers, and the job market for lawyers is oversaturated and has been for the past 5-10 years. Even with fewer jobs, law schools refuse to lower their acceptance numbers and instead keep increasing them for more money. Several of my classmates ended up working in non-legal professions- not because they wanted to, but because they couldn't find a legal job. Best of luck to you though.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

100% agreed!

I interviewed 3 law school graduates for my last opening. It paid $36k per year, and 2 of the 3 had already passed the bar. I ended up not hiring any of them, because another woman (with only a Bachelors) interviewed better, had a more upbeat attitude, and had more work experience in this particular field.

A degree, even a law degree, is only a way to get your foot in the door for an interview. After that, you need the goods to actually land the job!

Don't rely too heavily on that schooling, make sure to be well-rounded, up-beat, professional, friendly, clean and tidy, etc., etc.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by jburg6

A degree, even a law degree, is only a way to get your foot in the door for an interview.

I have to disagree with you on that one.
The degrees since the 'no child left behind' [scam*-IMO] are not worth the paper that the degree is written on.
Unless it is a challenging degree, Physics, Math, Chemistry (hard science) a degree tells me that the student attitude. The education system by simply passing students along teaches the student to a) not think just show up and b) If they show up they deserve a paycheck.

Showing up doesn't produce anything or benefit anyone.

*Reasoning behind my opinion, L.Bush pushed NCLB, the education got watered down to the point that an 8th grader in the 70s would have enough basics to pass the entrance exams. Since then the standards have been going down and the tuition costs have skyrocketed, and the loans for the worthless degree cannot be discharged 'ever'. If you want decent schooling learn spanish and go to a Mexican University- (They are surprisingly good and the tuition is not unreasonable)

T

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with you.

I said a degree is only a way to get your foot in the door for an interview, it doesn't get you much else.

Maybe you took it as "the" only way to get your foot in the door.

In my example, I passed over 3 law school graduates to hire someone with a bachelors, because they interviewed better.

I will say this. A degree, no matter how silly, does show some commitment and tenacity. For someone like me, sitting through boring classes for 4 years is like a death sentence! I commend people that are able to just complete it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join