It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This just isn't right... (Job Applications)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

I also joined the military more for employment really than any other reason.

If you have some schooling you could even consider enlisting, working hard and then going to officer's school. Everyone loves an officer that was previously enlisted.

You might have to up and shoot someone though.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yeah I've been there, luckily I found a job flipping burgers. It was the first interview I'd had in 6 months after being made redundant.

I recomend using your spare time to develop skills for another career, the more skills you have the more jobs you can apply for (although don't mention them if not relevant to job)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
reply to post by Thrace

Well you could (if fit) join the Navy. They have a rate that would fit your studies.

NAVY = petty officers was established as Pharmacist's Mate (PhM)

source=en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 30-11-2011 by RUFFREADY because: SPELLING

Not able to do this... had back surgery Dec 22nd 2010 for a herniated disc. I would get shot down for that as soon as they saw my medical records. Also I think I am too old... 30.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Yeah, I enjoyed the Navy. And they recently made the enlistment age go up to (I believe 42) so the OP is fine.

if he/she can get accepted.

Lots of jobs >>>en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Go talk to them...its free!! to try ..don't cost a dime to ask 'em.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Not with a L5 disc that's been cut into and the innards scraped out. LOL!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Well, then,,you might have to send out resume's out of state.

I would do ( like someone here mentioned Florida) that.

Lots of retired folks here that need meds.

And there must be 15 drug stores with-in a mile from my house...lots and lots of them.

Good luck!!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Wow, I didn't realize it had changed that much.

Last I knew the age was 27, though that was for the USAF and about ten years ago.

reply to post by Thrace

Sometimes the military contracts out civilians near bases, depending on what they need.

If you can find a base that needs a pharm tech and get in good with or know someone that works there, you might still be able to get a job and enjoy some benefits of the military, all without going to war.

Ah, also I think you can just email them, the military conducts a lot personnel type business through email and I don't think they look down upon it. You can probably shoot them a nice email with your resume, and if they need (or you found out beforehand) pharm techs or even just something remotely like it you may get a call. A lot of times spouses and retirees do these jobs, but sometimes not.

You'll get a background check and screened for passes and all that of course if you get the job, they might even pay to relocate you.
edit on 30-11-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I appreciate your help but I have no money to relocate.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

"The maximum age of non-prior service enlistment, under federal law used to be age 35. In 2006 the Army tried to convinced Congress to change this to age 44. Congress thought age 44 was too high, but raised the maximum enlistment age, under law, from 35 to age 42."

That's why there's no draft anymore

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Sometimes the military contracts out civilians near bases, depending on what they need. If you can find a base that needs a pharm tech and get in good with or know someone that works there, you might still be able to get a job and enjoy some benefits of the military, all without going to war.
reply to post by RSF77

Man..that's a good Idea!!

Bases do hire out now...big time!!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ah, one last small piece of advice you may already know, so sorry if I am being captain obvious.

Treat everyone around you with respect and individuality, you might never know when you meet that person that is an "up". Imagine every time your in a store buying a soda or something, the person you are standing next to may be a millionaire and he may very well need help with something and would probably be grateful to have someone not only can he trust, but has the skills and knowledge to get something done.

If you engage people in the right and proper way, you might just talk your way into a great and profitable responsibility. You never know who might need a pharmacy tech, or even at the very least a business project, they just may be unsure about what until someone presents an idea to them one way or another.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

That is good advice also! "Be Out" is always important. Be out there looking for work, and anybody you might meet could be the break you've been looking for. My brother met a US Ambassador at a Coffee Shop totally by accident and ended up with a great letter of recommendation for a State Department job. Speak openly, honestly, and professionally to people you meet, and don't be afraid to inquire about their careers, or communicate your intentions to them. It seems a little odd for some people, but it works wonderfully.

There is a book, "The Little Black Book of Connections," by Jeffrey Gitomer. He tells a story of loaning a stranger 100 bucks in an airport, and he was repaid with one of the largest clients he ever had! Networking is a key component in your job hunt. Don't over look it. Don't forget to seek out friends and family and let them know you are available, and hungry for work!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You NEED to rant!
send them a letter telling them you wont
expenses to be paid for wasting your time.
if it went to court. you would win.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

You NEED to rant! send them a letter telling them you wont expenses to be paid for wasting your time. if it went to court. you would win.

You can't be serious...Your obviously one of those who, at work, says things like. " that's not my job"

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
EMPLOYMENT OFFICE /HUMAN RESOURCES signs hang outside the major Auto Company I work for. They both have been closed for 5 years.

Each week, some college grad comes in with a resume wanted to see HUMAN RESOURCES. I tell them they have to go online to _______@______.com and apply.

Ive been told companies still are required to post these offices at each location. Whether they have them or not.

PS. My wife has been applying online for 3 years. No interviews, no calls, no job. "You have to apply online ma'am." She does. Nothing. Even McDonalds.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

I was searching for a job for 14 months. By month 3 I didn't have the gas money or even bus fare to apply or inquire anywhere outside of my small town, in person. It was devestating. My saving grace was free wifi where I live, otherwise I would most likely be homeless.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
just keep trying man, i went out for around 6 hours a few days after moved and got hired..
even got a few offers after i already got hired

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
reply to post by Thrace

I can't even afford a disposable razor to have a shave and i don't see the point in looking for a job if i can't be presentable.

I guess people like us have to just keep on trying, there's nothing else for it.
I think that not losing hope is the most important thing.

Goodluck friend, i feel for you, i honestly do.

I was in the same boat some time ago. I used up my money on transport and one decent outfit for interviews. It was during the recession here in SA, and finding a job was like impossible.
You just hang in there and keep going!

Isn't it strange though, that when you tell people who have a regular income, that you are outa money, they don't actually get it. Like my brother at the time, who offered to put me on his medical aid when I called him to ask for a tiny little bit of help. Grrr! I needed bus money! Not a doctor! He could not actually understand the concept of zero money!

To the OP, well done for posting. It takes guts to spill it. I tried my best to pretend with others that everything was ok, while there was no food, no money, no nothing.

You just keep going! If you keep at it, eventually something HAS TO GIVE!

To everyone out there in this position: We feel for you, all send you our best wishes for finding a job quickly!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thrace
I am one of the many out of work here in the United States. I apply for anything (Walmart, Lowes, Mcd's, Misc local business's, etc) I come across in order to get a job but my college degree is in Pharmacy Tech and I am certified by my state to practice. I have been applying for jobs since graduation with little to no luck of even getting an interview and even been told I am over qualified on two instances. Recently I applied for 5 positions at a local hospital for reception, cash office, business office... etc, because I have experience on office settings. After applying for them I felt good and said I may get lucky with one of the applications and had plans to call and follow up with the HR dept. Two days later I had 5 emails... these were denial letters stating that they were seeking other candidates at the time. I sucked it up and kept looking for work.

A few days later a friend send me a link for a pharmacy tech job at a big box pharmacy here in town. I got excited and spent at least an hour filling out the extensive application since nowadays you almost have to have a blood sample taken to apply for anything. Excited that this might finally be it I called the pharmacy the next day and inquired about the position. I was told that the pharmacy director will be in Wednesday and was told to call back and talk to her. Well I got up early today to call and was put on hold at least 30 mins at least... so my nerves were getting the best of me. Finally the person I am waiting for answers the phone and this is the conversation as follows:

Pharmacy Director: Hello this is * how can I help you?
Me: Hello, My name is * and I had filled out an application for pharmacy technician at your store and I was wanting to follow up with you on the position to see if it's still available and when you may be conducting interviews.
Pharmacy Director: Oh I'm sorry that position was filled 2 months ago, our systems automatically post jobs online so that we can keep a full application pool.
Me: Oh, so you don't have a position open? Will you have a pharmacy technician position available in the near future?
Pharmacy Director: No we sure don't and unless we have someone leave we won't be hiring anytime soon.
Me: Ok thank you and have a good day.

Alright.... This is where I have my issue. Why post a job that you do not have available? This is wrong for people like me thinking "THIS IS MY CHANCE!", you think you have finally found a job only to get shot down because this job simply does not exist.

So I kinda feel like a starving child right now with someone holding food in front of my face only to just take it away as soon as I ask for it.

I am sorry for the rant but I just don't understand whats going on. For the record I am a 30 year old male that has 10+ years experience in retail/sales/customer service and just recently obtained my certification to practice as a technician in a retail/hospital pharmacy.

I am starting to lose hope...

You are literally in the exact same boat I am. Job and everything. PTCB Certified Tech here too, licensed in FL & NV. And I can't find a job anywhere....

Almost every Pharmacy Tech position I apply for I get the same "Oh we're not hiring, we just do that to keep a pool of applicants" bull#e, and every other general work position I apply for I get the "You're over qualified" crap...

I understand your pain and wish you the best of luck in your search.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join