It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Develop New Strain Of H5N1, Avian Influenza, That Could Kill Millions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Yes, That's the title from the Huffington Post ...

Bird Flu: Scientists Develop New Strain Of H5N1, Avian Influenza, That Could Kill Millions

According to New Scientist magazine, researchers in the Netherlands studying H5N1 -- commonly referred to as the bird flu or avian influenza -- have created a strain of the virus that's easily passed between mammals, and it's just as lethal as the original virus.

According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, the H5N1 virus has infected more than 500 people in more than a dozen countries and is known to kill around 60 percent of those that become infected.

Ron Fouchier, a researcher at the Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam, led the team that successfully created the mutation. Fouchier presented the findings at a conference in Malta in September and, according to NPR, is now seeking publication of his results

New Scientist Magazine - Five easy mutations to make bird flu a lethal pandemic

H5N1 bird flu can kill humans, but has not gone pandemic because it cannot spread easily among us. That might change: five mutations in just two genes have allowed the virus to spread between mammals in the lab. What's more, the virus is just as lethal despite the mutations.

"The virus is transmitted as efficiently as seasonal flu," says Ron Fouchier of the Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, who reported the work at a scientific meeting on flu last week in Malta.

"This shows clearly that H5 can change in a way that allows transmission and still cause severe disease in humans. It's scary," says Peter Doherty, a 1996 Nobel prizewinner for work in viral immunology.

I'm thinking it's just a matter of time ... it's getting closer ...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
zombie apocalypse...here we come!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Seems like a good idea to mess with this stuff to me.

/sarcasm.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Wonder how long it will be before someone post's telling you that this has already been posted then proceeds to list the other posts like everyone on here does nothing but read this site 24 hours a day.

Thanks for the info, I may have missed it if you didn't post because i'm not on here 24 hours a day (more like 14 hahaha)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Dunno .. I looked through the medical posts/conspiracies for the past week and didn't see one that looked like this. 'spose it could happen. I found it amazing that this came from that rag Huffington Post .. and that they got the title so dead on accurate. I can't believe our fates and lives are all in the hands of people playing with death like this ...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Million is nothing to be honest. Normal flu kills millions every year.

Now if you said billions that would be worrying.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

so they've mutated a new strand of an old virus...released it to a small portion of the public, in order to get a vaccine!?!?!?!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

What do they use these viral strains for anyhow?
I mean what point is there in doing it?

Phage would know, Someone put up the 'Phage signal' and get the logic knight to come and bail me out.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
pretty sure this has been posted before

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo

HAHAHA i must be able to see the future!
I should start doing readings for people.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo

Thanks Gwampo - but that thread is about the naturally evolving strain.

This one is about the experimental strain.

new topics

top topics

join