It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground MagLev train

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
In Japan, engineers are testing a Magnetic Levitation (MagLev) train that can travel beyond 300 mph (480 kph). MagLev trains dont have wheels. instead they are held a cm or so off the track by magnets. It is also propelled by magnets.

The reason this train travels so slow (yes, i said so slow) is because it encounters friction caused by the air. If these trains could run through a vacuum, they could run at very fast speeds, much more than the speed of sound (that is why i said 300 mph was slow). Currently, some universities in the United States are testing and experiementing with this technology (i am not sure if they actually have a mag lev track inside a vacuum) and they think it could be very valuable in providing quick transportation (think of it, going from LA to NY in 1.5 hours). The current ideas call for a system of tunnels that could be depressurized to create a vacuum.

Tunnelling technology is advanced enough for this system also . see the 8th paragraph of this ATS page: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think these people are not settin gtheir sights far enough. I can invision a transportation system that in 2-3 hours can transport a person from United States to Europe or even Asia.

Transportation would we economically feasable because MagLev trains are propelled from the track all along the train. A train could easily be 2-3 miles long because tunnels would be straight with no elevation change and if a train was three miles long, then for all three miles, the magnets inside the track will continue to push/pull the train.

For additional information on MagLev technology, follow this link www.o-keating.com...

Let me (and the rest of ATS) know what you think about this topic

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
the third word of the third-to-last paragraph is supposed to be "be"

sry

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkhealer88
Tunnelling technology is advanced enough for this system also . see the 8th paragraph of this ATS page: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also the second reply to that post!

Originally posted by darkhealer88
A train could easily be 2-3 miles long because tunnels would be straight with no elevation change and if a train was three miles long, then for all three miles, the magnets inside the track will continue to push/pull the train.
Lets look at a Maglev from New York to London. Assume that the Maglev station is subterranean, at least three floors below street level. The train would have to start by moving along a downslope so that it could stay in earth rather than move into the water. Downslope the tunnel so that it goes under the floor of the atlantic following the curvature of the earth and then upslope into a station in London. Even trains of 2-3 miles can handle curves and slopes. Of course the one big problem is crossing the Atlantic Rift where the plates come together.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
sounds like a great idea to me!

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Actually it goes beyond that

If you built a tunnel, which was a perfectly straight line from the UK to the USA, positioned so it was perfectly deep enough to go under the Mariana Trench, gravity would be the prime accelerator in both directions. This is actually real science, it's not BS - the only thing that makes it impossible (today) is the tremendous temperatures from the surrounding rock pressure, and our inability to engineer a tunnel that deep underground. The temperatures we'd have to deal with wouldn't be only because of the mantle, the rock itself at those depths is super hot due to pressure and not the core of the earth.

You'd only really need to supply initial energy to get the train moving up to speed, and the earth's gravity would take care of the rest. To slow the train down you'd simply "ride along" as the other end of the trip would gradually slow the train the further you travel past the half-way point. A grav train would be the only real solution here - you wouldn't want to lose energy to friction from rails or tires (and besides, they'd be super hot down there!).

Here's a quick sloppy image I tossed together:

It's a really interesting idea, and it would work anywhere on the planet. The above picture is NOT to scale - the crust is nowhere near as thick as in the above image; but hey, I only took 5 mins to make it.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The Discovery Channel had a show called "Extreme Engineering" and it proposed a transatlantic tunnel, where the maglev train could go as fast as 5,000 mph.

And they have a better way, dont put the tunnel under the Atlantic, put it in it. A couple hundred feet under the water, and use cables anchored to the sea floor that loop around the tunnel.

And YES, maglev's do turn, so i dont no why you think it needs to go in a straight line.

Actually Japan has got there maglev to go faster then 350 mph.

China has the first operational maglev in service today, it goes from the middle of Shanghai to there airport, and hits 266 mph, its only 19 miles long though.

The biggest set back for the maglev to go mainstream is simplified into one word "Cha-Ching".
It's very expensive to build, china's 19 mile long one cost 1.2 billion, Far more then a rail way.
and un like rail, it has no infastructure, it has to start from scratch, but it does have a few things going for it, Like: Its a softer better ride, no pollution, quiter, goes faster then rail can ever dream of.

If you think it will be hard to switch America from Oil to Hydrogen, It will be 10 times as hard to switch from rail to magnets.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There is no need for the train to start on a down slope. A Maglev train can acctually start off by going uphill. There are two systems for MagLev trains, one is electromagnetic suspension or (EMS), and electrodynamic suspension (EDS). Both systems use a traveling magnetic wave along a guideway to propel the maglev train. Once the train is levitated, power is supplied to the coils within the guideway to create a unique system of magnetic fields that pull and push the train along the guideway. The electric current supplied to the coils in the guideway walls is constantly alternating to change the polarity of the magnetized coils. This change in polarity causes the magnetic field in front of the train to pull the vehicle forward, while the magnetic field behind the train adds more forward thrust.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
i remember reading a story in one of our tabloid newspapers some years back about the possibility of cross atlantic travel between our two great nations, america and britain.

the idea they had was to suspend a tube under the water surface, create a vacuum, and suposedly whatever they used to transport the passengers would rush from one side to the other in about 90minutes... although the downside of this that they stated, is if it hit the side of the tube it would instantly vaporise.

i don't have any links to this story, but i put it down to 'sensationalism' as i read it in a tabloid :\

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I also seen a documentary on this subject and it even went so far as to say that the goverments have already begun construction between the US and europe it was a great program very technical and informative. The train was not under the sea bed but just above it anchored down by cables. It said that in the event of a collision to the tube by for instance a sub the tube would just flex however the passengers on the train would know no different as they would be travelling so fast they would past the point of impact in the blink of an eye. The only thing that seemed to make it a waste of time was the huge airtight holds the train would have to enter first then the door would close behind them and them suck the air out then the door in front would open and allow the train an airtight passage all the way to europe. The power station and all the tecnical stuff to run this thing was like a city itself.

Cant find much on searching this subject however the link below is a company who build undersea pipelines and in 1998 it looks as if they have been surveying the possibility of undersea mag lev trains. scroll down the link to ref P9808. Who was it who asked them to take a look at the possibilities of installation ?????????

www.berchagroup.com...

[edit on 6-9-2004 by thesaint]

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Ten years since the last post, but the Japanese mag-lev 500 kilometre an hour train is here.

www.hangthebankers.com...

No wonder it's mostly underground, the thing is LOUD.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrpKeeGTZ
There is no need for the train to start on a down slope. A Maglev train can acctually start off by going uphill. There are two systems for MagLev trains, one is electromagnetic suspension or (EMS), and electrodynamic suspension (EDS).

In this technology demonstrator the train starts out on wheels (landing gear?) and levitates when it hit's 100kph.

(feels weird addressing a ten year old post. I hope DrpKeeGTZ is still around.)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
too bad we dont use the latest travel technology here in the states

it's surprising, really

guess we cant afford it because of, well.. you know..

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: blacktie
too bad we dont use the latest travel technology here in the states

it's surprising, really

guess we cant afford it because of, well.. you know..

Interesting that Japan can afford the "latest travel technology", but can't stop the melt-downs at Fukushima.

Unless of course the resurrection of the maglev train story is just more PR to create the illusion things are 'business as usual'.

Just like the fantasy of the Fukushima Olympics.

World events are coming thick and fast at the moment and will reach a head long before 2020.

new topics

top topics

join