It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO countries closing embassies in Iran - precursor to NATO attack?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else and I didn't see it. The UK closed their embassy in Iran and expelled Iranian diplomates following the attack on the British embassy. www.reuters.com...

Norway has also pulled their diplomats www.thelocal.no... My eyebrow raises at this and I have to wonder what is coming next.

edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention an EU meeting on Iran on Thursday. Looks like Peace on Earth is off the schedule for the holidays this year :-(
edit on 30-11-2011 by Marid Audran because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They may be closing them because of what happened with the UK embassy.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Marid Audran

Your thread title is intentionally misleading. Yes Norway is a Nato country, but your headline is stated so that it sounds like ALL Nato countries are closing their embassies.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The title was already getting long. The NATO Joint Warfare center is based out of Norway which is what led to my speculation.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
And this is surprising?
Not at all surprising to me due to what happened with the UK embassies. It be foolish to not close them.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
wow, nice double standards. Remember when the Iranian embassy in Britain was attacked? en.wikipedia.org...
Iran didn't call their ambassadors back then..

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hold on a mo!! when the embassy was attacked in London it was Iranian terrorist that attacked it??? where is that double standards

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS
wow, nice double standards. Remember when the Iranian embassy in Britain was attacked? en.wikipedia.org...
Iran didn't call their ambassadors back then..

You can't really be comparing the two attacks:

Iranian Embassy: Attacked by Iranians demmanding release of Arab prisoners in Iran. British SAS stormed the embassy and saved the hostages.

British Embassy: Attacked by Iranians with indirect support from their own government.

And you actually compare them?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
And now France is out as well -

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod

My point was that Britain also "failed" to keep the Iranian embassy safe...
And has it been proven that the government of Iran orchestrated the attack? (not saying they didn't, just want some clearance)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran

news.yahoo.com...

Recalling am ambassador is no the same as closing an embassy. Is there any chance you will be factual in your titles and posting? So far you are zero for 2.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS
reply to post by Zaphod

My point was that Britain also "failed" to keep the Iranian embassy safe...
And has it been proven that the government of Iran orchestrated the attack? (not saying they didn't, just want some clearance)

Sigh. Britian was the country that cleared and made the embassy safe. As far as proof, not sure if you can expect a notaized 'we did it' from the Iranian government but Britian sure thinks they did: "The idea that the Iranian authorities could not have protected our embassy or that this assault could have taken place without some degree of regime consent is fanciful," Hague told lawmakers and "We should be clear from the outset that this is an organization controlled by elements of the Iranian regime," he said.

Not that Iran did not blame Britian for what happened when the Iranian embassy was attacked, that should make it clear it was not Britians fault.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Zaphod because: typo

edit on 30-11-2011 by Zaphod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod

Originally posted by Zaphod

news.yahoo.com...

Recalling am ambassador is no the same as closing an embassy. Is there any chance you will be factual in your titles and posting? So far you are zero for 2.

I didn't actually say France closed their embassy. I said they were out. Which is factual. As is the fact that 2 NATO countries closed up their embassies. You are relying on semantics in order to avoid the point, which is that it is worrying to see obvious kabuki regarding diplomats.

The US closed their Libyan Embassy in February before military actions commenced as did France.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Zaphod

news.yahoo.com...

I didn't actually say France closed their embassy. I said they were out. Which is factual. As is the fact that 2 NATO countries closed up their embassies. You are relying on semantics in order to avoid the point, which is that it is worrying to see obvious kabuki regarding diplomats.

The US closed their Libyan Embassy in February before military actions commenced as did France.

Factually wrong, France did not close the embassy as you imply with 'out', they recalled their ambassador, the embassy remains open. Your title should be 'some NATO countries'. You playing word games to make this seem more serious than it is.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I tried to edit it but couldn't (had exceeded the time allotted). Though I don't say "all" in the original either - I look at that and read that some nato countries are closing their embassies - it is a fragment to fit in the subject line. You read all. I am sincerely sorry for not predicting how you would view it.

Back on topic, in modern history there has been a pattern of pulling out diplomats/closing embassies and then attacking said country. I stand by the central thesis of my headline and post.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

I do not think that the Iranian Embassy attack in London and the recent events in Tehran are comparable. Trying to make them so merely shows exposes a bit of a knowledge gap on your part – no disrespect intended.

The recent events in Tehran have been apparently motivated and orchestrated by the Iranian regime by “students”. The attack on the Iranian Embassy in London in 1980 was by armed men in a squabble that was an extension of Iranian politics. The UK eventually sent in the SAS to sort it out and both they and the UK police were put in danger.

The Iranian authorities already had TV set up to film the storming! In a country that brutally represses any form of opposition and protest, we saw the police being kept on a leash.

There are no similarities and you do yourself a disservice to try and make them.

To the OP. As Iran cannot guarantee the safety of foreign embassies, one can expect more to close. Quite right too.

Regards

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You are relying on semantics in order to avoid the point, which is that it is worrying to see obvious kabuki regarding diplomats.

I have realized that people here on ATS LOVE to pick apart people's statements to show that no matter WHAT you say, you are "wrong". I really believe that there is NOT ONE THING that someone could say that someone else wouldn't find a problem with.

For example, if I innocently posted somthing along the lines of "the sky is blue", I would get these types of responses:
1. No it isn't! It's cloudy today at my house.
2. I live in _____, where it is night time. Why do you think the world revolves around America???
3. You are obviously not intelligent enough to realize that the sky only has the appearance of being blue due to the refraction of the light from the sun as it passes through the atmosphere.

It gets irritating, doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid AudranBack on topic, in modern history there has been a pattern of pulling out diplomats/closing embassies and then attacking said country. I stand by the central thesis of my headline and post.

While I disagree on the framing, I do agree with your thesis (FYI) and it will be curious if more countries leave over the next few weeks.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Since the sky is purple due to all the chemtrails, are are clearly a disinfo agent. Who do you work for?

Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this ,)

Serious note, fair points, feedback noted.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Since the sky is purple due to all the chemtrails, are are clearly a disinfo agent. Who do you work for?

Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this ,)

Serious note, fair points, feedback noted.

What??? You're being nice??? Now you're supposed to question the intellegence of my mother, or accuse me of eating Doritos in my parents' basement.

On a serious note, I appreciate your attitude.

P.S. I am CLEARLY a disinfo agent, and if I told you who I worked for, Zorg would not appreciate it. Oops.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join