It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we see Iranian and Russian warplanes in British skies?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I am not an expert on politics and don't claim to understand the entirety of what is currently happening in this arena. My question is to those who may know more or at least have a strong opinion about the possible impact of a direct military strike on Iran by the British Armed Forces.

It is looking more and more likely that the current tensions between the UK and Iran could result in military action. Unlike in Libya or Iraq for example, I believe that a brutal retaliation from the Iranian forces would be a possibility. With their strong relationship with Russia (who have also said to the world where exactly they stand with the UK and US), it could be quite feasible for them to send fighters via Russia and the Baltic sea to our airspace.

We have seen in the past, Russian Bombers coming close to British Airspace demonstrating their capability. The RAF have made many cuts and isn't as strong as it used to be. Key British infrastructure facilities, especially OUR nuclear facilities could be targeted.

How likely is this and what would the consequences be?
edit on 30-11-2011 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
2 stars, a flag but no replies...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I will say not very likely to be honest. Russian bombers in UK airspace is more about testing our reaction times than anything else - something we pass with flying colours. This is the same reason that the US often flies experimental craft over the UK - for example back in the day the stealth bomber - to see if we can track the latest toys or if they are 'radar proof'. As a nation, we are still excellent at this sort of thing.

As for Iranian jets getting here, not a chance. They would be blown out of the sky as soon as they entered UK airspace. We may not have much in terms of numbers but we have plenty in terms of technology and quality.

Russia would not attack the UK. It will however posture and bluster in order to try and get its way (like every other nation on the planet).

Anyhow, that is my two pennies worth. What do you think?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Doubtfull anything will happen:

RAF may have cuts to it however think about this

Jet planes were perfected in the 90's (more or less)
Defences against jet planes are much more advanced today, i doubt UK needs dog fights to fight of and invasion of planes by Russia, and Iranian planes, would never reach UK.

Eg: Anti Air missiles
Jamming systems
EMP weaponry

They do not need RAF to defend themselfvs

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

Exactly, check out the Astute class nuclear submarines. As soon as British territorial areas are entered, bye bye jets.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Russia will not join in any of these global war situations. They have too much to lose.

Iran may do something stupid but I doubt it.

I think that they will just act out and we will see protests in the streets with lots of shouting and flag burning but little to no real military action on the part of Iran.

They know that their country could be devastated in a matter of days should they choose violence.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Good points and I like to think our defences are up to scratch. However any nation can be taken by surprise at some point. Maybe Russia wouldn't get directly involved but would they turn a blind eye to Iran using their airspace and facilities?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I don't even think Jets from Iran could fly here and return without in flight fuelling which I am not sure if they have the technology for anyway,

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I honestly doubt it and to be honest, even if they did it is still highly probable that the jets would be tracked from Iran, through Russia and out of the other side. Never underestimate the proper tech we have available in the West (especially those members states of the war mongerers club).

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
I don't even think Jets from Iran could fly here and return without in flight fuelling which I am not sure if they have the technology for anyway,

No, they probably couldn't but with a refuelling stop in Russia they could. I don't know. In just don't think Iran will sit back and take us blowing their infrastructure and people apart

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Once again, that would be very provocative. They would not be able to claim they didn't know it. I would expect some retaliation for something so blatant.

If Russia were to be involved at all, it would be very very far behind the scenes... So far that they could not be accused of complicity. They would need plausible denial-ability

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The Russians would have NO need to ever enter UK airspace to cause MASSIVE damage to the UK. You don't need to be over the country you are bombing these days.

The Russians have very advanced long range bombers that are capable of launching nuclear weapons and cruise missiles from 000's of km's off our coast. They also have submarine bombers and submarine relay supersonic bombers.

The UK, in all honesty, would be annihilated by the Russians if they so chose to.

The Bear still exists as a strategic bomber. It has never gone away from that role. The Tu-95MS Bear H that were recently intercepted by the RAF and other NATO countries are new build. The Bear H entered service in the 1980s and the last batch came off the production line in the early 1990s. The days of the ELINT Tu-95s are also long since gone. The only Tu-95 in Russian Air Force service is the Tu-95MS as a strategic bomber. This aircraft along with the Tu-160 are long range nuclear capable cruise missile platforms. They are able to stand off thousands of kilometers from their targets and launch their cruise missiles. The Russian Navy operate the Tu-142 Bear F and J. The Bear F is an anti-submarine warfare platform and the Bear J is a communications relay for their submarine fleet. All the old dedicated recon and ELINT Bears have been retired for decades now. The Tu-29 carried the codename Bull.

Nicknamed the White Swan by its Russian pilots, the Tu160 is capable of traveling at 1,380mph and can carry up to 88,000lbs of ordnance including either cruise or short-range nuclear missiles Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

The UK has a 24 hour response coverage, but if the Russians wanted, they could fly over international waters and launch a good few simultaneous small nukes at UK and wipe out London, Birmingham, Glasgow and Manchester with a button. The RAF Tornados would still be on the ground by the time they were launched.
edit on 30/11/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Would never happen though as nukes would be launched back and they know it. It probably would not just be us that retaliated either - we could probably expect major support from over the pond if Russia were to actually carry out nuclear attacks on the UK.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

No, they probably couldn't but with a refuelling stop in Russia they could. I don't know. In just don't think Iran will sit back and take us blowing their infrastructure and people apart

They wouldn't even get past the other countries in Europe like Germany so before they could get to us they would be shot down.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

They wouldn't even get past the other countries in Europe like Germany so before they could get to us they would be shot down.

Afraid not...Source< br />
Russians have approached UK airspace countless times in the past few years and never been stopped by anyone

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by jrmcleod

Would never happen though as nukes would be launched back and they know it. It probably would not just be us that retaliated either - we could probably expect major support from over the pond if Russia were to actually carry out nuclear attacks on the UK.

I agree, there would be massive fall out world wide but the point the OP is making is can Russia or Iran actually invade our airspace to bomb us in retaliation, and my point is that they don't need to...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

direct military strike on Iran by the British Armed Forces.

Not going to happen, but we'll entertain the possibility just for giggles...

It is looking more and more likely that the current tensions between the UK and Iran could result in military action.

Why? It's just a diplomatic spat over sanctions. In any upcoming conflict, it won't be the UK acting alone if we acted at all.

Unlike in Libya or Iraq for example, I believe that a brutal retaliation from the Iranian forces would be a possibility.

Not in the slightest. Iran lacks capable aircraft, lacks the logistical support and the expertise to pull it off, even with overflight rights from Russia. In fact, without the same rights from EU nations (NATO members....) no Iranian aircraft can even reach the UK, even from Russia.

With their strong relationship with Russia (who have also said to the world where exactly they stand with the UK and US), it could be quite feasible for them to send fighters via Russia and the Baltic sea to our airspace.

No, it wouldn't. They'd need in-flight refuelling, which they lack severely. If the Russians did it for them, they can expect a Trident up their arsehole. In fact, even allowing Iran to base jets to attack the UK from their soil would be reason enough to get hot and heavy with Russia and would in fact lead to an invocation of Article 5 of the NATO Treaty.

We have seen in the past, Russian Bombers coming close to British Airspace demonstrating their capability.

Using 60 year old prop bombers which were always, without fail, intercepted well within time and not always by the RAF, but Norway, Belgium or Denmark as well. Besides, those flights are merely just war games testing response times, are usually quite well received and pilots on both sides have a good laugh trading pictures and silly messages.

The RAF have made many cuts and isn't as strong as it used to be. Key British infrastructure facilities, especially OUR nuclear facilities could be targeted.

The RAF is still one of the most capable Air Forces in NATO, don't believe the tabloid hype, the defence cuts are not actually that bad. A lot of what has been reported as cuts is mothballing older equipment a little bit earlier and slightly delaying new equipment, just to spread the cost.

There is no hope in hell of any Iranian aircraft making it all the way from Russia, past our highly sophisticated EW system, past the Typhoons and Tornados and all the way to Aldermaston.

How likely is this and what would the consequences be

Never, in a month of Sundays, will it happen, not unless Europe has fallen first. If it does happen, I will have a sex change and call myself Barbara the Loose.

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by WiseThinker

Exactly, check out the Astute class nuclear submarines. As soon as British territorial areas are entered, bye bye jets.

Erm, an Astute is a hunter killer sub. I'm not 100% up to date on torpedo tech, but I am pretty sure they can't shoot down fast jets.... We do, however, have the Type-45, one of the most advanced Air defence destroyers afloat, not to mention the RAF of several hundred fast-jets. Yes, we still have several hundred..Don't believe the Mail when they say we have a Sopwith Camel, even if it does have Lord Flasheart in.

Good points and I like to think our defences are up to scratch. However any nation can be taken by surprise at some point. Maybe Russia wouldn't get directly involved but would they turn a blind eye to Iran using their airspace and facilities?

Merely allowing another nation to do so would lead to an invocation of Article 5, and World War.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Afraid not...Source< br />
Russians have approached UK airspace countless times in the past few years and never been stopped by anyone

Your very link says they were intercepted, so how can they not be "stopped by anyone"? Also, they never fly over Germany, but round Scandinavia and yes, the Norwegians often intercept them as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Some Americans not all are unware of this fact.

Russia as of today has double the amount of nuclear weapons that the USA has. Bascially, that would be the end of any country as we know it, if in a nuclear war with Russia.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by P12SOLD

Any nuclear armed nation has the firepower to wipe out Human life, so it really matters not how many they have in relation to each other. Any nuclear exchange between the US and Russia would lead to most of us dying.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join