It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tributes paid to late Carlisle man who took photo of Cumberland Spaceman

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
More local news from me, this time the sad news that Jim Templeton, who took the famous Cumberland Spaceman picture in 1964, has died, aged 91.

I had the privilege of meeting Jim at a show in the late 90's, a warm and friendly character who will be missed.

I thought some of you who remember the story behind the photo might like to know about this.

Source

For those of you who don't know what the Cumberland spaceman is, there is a wiki page on it, as well as many other sources around the internet.

Cumberland Spaceman

Here is the picture itself.

edit on 30/11/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I really hope this is true!

However, and not wishing to be a party pooper, the outfit the space man is wearing looks exactly like one my brother in law used to wear in the 1970's when grass tracking on a cross trail bike (125cc). Even the helmet looks similar with the mirrored bit on the back of the head.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Well he had a good innings , 91 is what I would call a ripe old age ... may he rest in peace .

For those of you who don't know what the Cumberland spaceman is,

A man in a Bee keepers suit

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Just an idea but could it have been a bee hive suit?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
From your link;

was shocked when the middle picture came back from Kodak displaying what looks like a spaceman in th background

Could this be an error/anomaly on the Kodak labs' part?
edit on 30-11-2011 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Bless him and that is one spooky picture.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i watched an old programme on the history channel the other day that interviewed him and his wife they both seemed very plausible

i seem to remember he said they returned to the spot some time later and saw a craft and spacemen.. cant be sure as i was cooking dinner at the time and wasnt really concentrating that hard on the programme!

edit on 30-11-2011 by dashdespatch because: more info

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Jim was a reputable man who said nobody was there when he took the picture, not the sort of man to make things up. Although I'm sure there is a down to earth explanation, it has been debated many times, by amateurs and experts alike, and nobody has a definite explanation.

I made this thread really just to inform any ATS'ers who might have/had a keen interest in the story of his passing, as I doubt it will make the mainstream news.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
sorry just checked i thought it was on my tv planner but i must have deleted it...one of my habbits

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Spaceman Photobomber!

What Next!?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It’s a shame the mystery never got solved before his passing, never the less hopefully now he knows. RIP

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Very sad to here about the man passing.
It's a photo I've pondered over many times over the years,
but looking at it again, to me it looks like a guy wearing a white sweater
and a white baseball cap looking away from the camera who has his head tilted slightly forward
with his right hand in his pocket.
Thats was just a thought that has come to me,

ps.
I do tend to lean towards belief in ET/ED visitation.
edit on 30-11-2011 by JustMeLiverpool because: post script

edit on 30-11-2011 by JustMeLiverpool because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Looks like a double exposure to me. See the change in shading on the flowers?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I think I just found a bad copy of the photo, here is a better one

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Also known as the Solway Firth Spaceman. The photograph is not a fake and has never been proved to be one.
edit on 30-11-2011 by WeMoveUnseen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Too bad for the guy, but it's a lot of hoopla over a photo that essentially shows a person in a sweater and scarf behind the kid, although it's at a peculiar angle so it looks kind of "spaceman"-like. We have to take the guy's word that he didn't see anybody there when he took the photo. Besides, it's common for people not to see past what they're photographing.

So all these years of notoriety for an odd photo. Wow.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The original version of the photo, actually looks a lot more convincing than the one posted in the OP.
apegallery.angelfire.com...

Having read some of the back story, and the events that followed, there is a very interesting and curious case here. It does seem as though the 'spaceman' is turned with their back to the camera, judging mainly by the way the right arm is bent.
I think there could be something in this, but I'm not sure what, possibly an astronaut been sent back in time, or maybe in the future there will be a military base in the future there and a rip in time has occurred, allowing the camera to see a figure of an astronaut in the future. Just a thought

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I naturally thought the girl was picking flowers around Roswell when
the decontamination squad came to pick up the surviving aliens.
Which was wrong of course but a picture is worth a thousand imaginary
fantasy words.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Who knows what the photo was?

Beekeepers and joggers just don't make sense to me. Anatomically, it looks like neither and it hardly matters in the scheme of things.

Jim Templeton has his place in the ufological heavens and that photo will be in whatever paranormal media is available in the years to come.

Whether a committed hoaxer or an accidental catcher of who-knows-what - he's left a small legacy and it's worth saluting.
:up

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
the so called space man, looks as small as an action figure. He also seems to be displaying anti gravity properties as he seems to be floating side ways away from her head lol, these two things seem very suspicious to me. Im calling fake
edit on 30-11-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join