It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About to get started on Anti-Psychotic medication... need advice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Maybe she is trying to sort her head out before coming back home?
The last thing the shrink will be saying is "leave your family" because everyone knows how inportant family is but if she has made that choice he/she has to stick by it.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Going from the most loving and happy person I've known in a very long time, to leaving her children to go in therapy and start a new life, all the while on those drugs that changed her personality immediately and so far, permanently. She's been up there 4 months. She just got a job up there. She doesn't want her family to move there.

I see problems with this and feel powerless to boot. I told you so isn't enough.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The science behind these drugs is still experimental at best. It's like playing russian roulette with your brain. I've been tried on several different meds, and I am of the opinion that they are not helpful.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Iam sorry for your situation but people who are depressed can hide how they are feeling very well for example Garry Speed killed himself at weekend (Famous footballer in the UK) and everyone who knew him has come out and said they didn't know why cos he seemed he was so happy.
She has moved away and got another job, well she must have had a reason, she must have felt she had a reason to see a "shrink" in the first place.
I know people who have just packed up and left their family and friends (my Dad for one) and it's horrid, I have never got a reason why he did it and I never will.
Again Iam sorry for what has happened but just don't blame the med's when you don't know why she has done what she has.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Iam not going to comment anymore because people have their own view's and I have mine.
But OP research what you are taking and weigh up the pro's and con's of taking the med's, like other people have said keep a journal of how you are feeling on the med's.
Ask yourself if your life is better on the med's and talk to your doctor's about them.
Talk about your feeling's with your loved one's but don't let them decide for you, it's your choice.
Always remember you don't have to take the med's if you don't want to.
Keep your mind active and keep your body healthy too.
Take care all best of luck xx

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Look into cyclothymia. Ain't nothing wrong with a dash of manic depression. It keeps us creative folk producing and entertaining.

Check your diet. Try an elimination diet. See if you're allergic to any foods. Good luck!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

This is simply one of many examples in just my lifetime, not to mention the thousands of other cases you can easily read about online. My brother is another. I flat out am against mind altering medicines that come with warning labels with dozens of "possible" symptoms, that flat out cause the problems themselves.

Vaccines are no better.

I'm universal in my loathing for what "the medical industry" in America has become. I have other examples, with entirely different horrible reasons and stories. It's a kaleidoscope of hospital horrors.

I haven't been to the doctor without a life threatening injury since 1991. I'm a chubby butt. I smoke. I eat well, but it's too late without a serious lifestyle change, and I don't have the time to do it and stay sane. For me it's over 4 hours of exercise a day, heck, now I'm older it might even take more. My vitals are all over the place.

I feel good most all the time. My reflexes are great, I rarely get sick, I heal from injuries, I eat food or many kinds without digestion problems, on and on. I feel good, really. I have worked on my kicks, knees and elbows, and I walk around a lot. Hasn't helped with the weight, but I get around just fine. Surprisingly fine. I find attitude is the most important element of health. It's worked for me for a long long time, and I've been through a lot of serious things.

Still kicking up my heels, still partying the kids into the floor, still staying up all night, still enjoying my family and loving life as much as I possibly can.

All without meds.

I do smoke. I'm not some perfect man, and I drank for many years with no doubt helped make this wonderful body what it is. I don't do that any more. For many reasons.

In any case. I could also go on about "councilors" knowing several friends who ended up in prison for trying to get some emotional help. Oh yeah.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Last post but i had to say something to you.
Iam really happy that you are not on med's and don't need to see a Doctor good for you

But we are not all the same are we, what works for you will not work for others.
Mental illness is real I see it everyday at work and if I could make a magic pill with no side effect's which make mentally ill folk have a better quality of life I would.
Iam like you in the aspect I never take any Med's because I don't need them but if my mental wellbeing goes for the worse I would take them. (200% more likely I will have mental health issue's because of my work).
If you don't need Med's don't take them it's simple.
I see a trend of people slagging of the pharma companies but the researchers who make the pill's want the pill's to work because they to like Doctors want people to get better, and the shareholders want them to work because it make's more money for them, Yes it isnt a perfect field but it is a very new field and the Med's are getting better all the time.
I feel like a broken record sometime's but I do think we need to educate ourselve's more about mental illness and to take better care of our mental well being and let's get rid of the stigma against people who suffer from mental illness, I mean we don't make fun of people who are physically sick do we but still the media make's fun off people who are mentally unwell.
BMxxx
oh some reading folks
www.mind.org.uk...

edit on 30-11-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
Anti-depressants/psychotics are nothing but poison that serve no purpose other than negatively altering brain chemistry.

To the OP...
So who you gonna listen to? Your doctor who has the medical training, personal interest and professional accountability or the ubiquitous 'some guy on the net' with no stake in the results? You may have to go through some trial and error to find a regimen that works for you...and you need to work with it as there is no real magic bullet, but ignore the clowns that tell you to eschew medication. It has given so many back their lives .
edit on 30-11-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because...ok?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

You know if I didn't believe they were making us crazy on purpose in many many ways, including those pills, I might be able to agree with you. I, however, cannot with good conscience do so.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Anti-depressants/psychotics are nothing but poison that serve no purpose other than negatively altering brain chemistry.

To the OP...
So who you gonna listen to? Your doctor who has the medical training, personal interest and professional accountability or the ubiquitous 'some guy on the net' with no stake in the results? You may have to go through some trial and error to find a regimen that works for you...and you need to work with it as there is no real magic bullet, but ignore the clowns that tell you to eschew medication. It has given so many back their lives .

This clown was suicidally depressed, with high anxiety, agrophobia, and a list of other things.

RX didn't work on me. It made me worse. I felt like I was going to die after trying out wellbutrin once.

This clown listened to alternative professionals who cared A WHOLE LOT MORE than any of the allopathic doctors I've ever been to. This clown got well by changing his diet, and taking nutritional supplements.

You present a one-sided story that reeks of ignorance.

Plenty get much worse on medications. Funny you failed to mention that.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I have to agree with you there, from my own personal experience. I've been suffering from depression and increasingly painful muscle spasms accompanied by sciatic pain. The past 6 weeks have been hellish for me, back and forth to the doctor and even the a&e, and all they would do was prescribe traxamol and valium, which didn't do a thing for the spasms, they just made me loose time and while I was on the drugs, I wasn't really in the room at all.

I bought some epsom salts off ebay, because none of the local chemists stock it, and half filled the bath with a generous pour of the salts, and then kept topping it up as it cooled to keep the water as hot as I could stick it, and soaked for a couple of hours. The relief was unbelievable, more effective than all the prescription drugs combined. I've since been taking magnesium supplements and I even applied magnesium sulphate paste directly on to the skin and then wrapped it in a crepe bandage.

I've been reading up on it, and the number 1 cause of muscle spasms is a magnesium deficiency. Muscles absorb calcium when they contract, and then need to absorb magnesium to relax. That's basic medical knowledge, you know, the kind of thing you'd expect a doctor to know. But, yet, not 1 of the doctors I've seen mentioned it, and when I phoned my doctor today to ask if he had a magnesium gel he could prescribe for me, he said he'd never heard of such a thing and even tried to sound surprised that the magnesium had worked, and said "Well, I suppose if it works for you, there's no real harm in it". He didn't sound pleased at all when I told him how quickly I'd been able to get out of pain by addressing this common mineral deficiency.

And no, there's nothing he could find in his database of prescription drugs that he contained magnesium, apart from an IV injection used for pre-eclampsia.

Doctors aren't there to make you better, they're there to funnel tax payer's funds to the pharma firms. Here in N Ireland, prescriptions are free, all paid for by taxes.

The proper name for what I've been suffering is Piriformis Syndrome. The piriformis muscle is in your butt, and it lies directly over the sciatic nerve, so when it spasms, it clamps down on the nerve and causes the pain. 70% of piriformis syndrome sufferers are female. Most prescription drugs either deplete magnesium, or inhibit it's absorption. 2 of the biggest culprits are oral contraception pills and HRT. Can anyone join the dots on that one?
edit on 30-11-2011 by TheIrvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I didnt see what they were like before,I didnt know them,but there was 1 that I knew before who comes from my home town,plus others that I know with 'mental illness's' in my town that have said meds havent helped.I see people when Im admitted at their worse,either manic or depressed and we tend to always bump into the same old faces with the same old problems. It just goes round and round,which obviously says something about the pro's help. I suppose they do try but for how long mental illness's have been treated they still in this day and age havent got it right,,and why not? Because they dont have a clue lol

Theres tons of people that do these trials with medication so the pro's should know what they do but still prescribe and its probably because for instance 1 out of 20 would be 'helped'

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

Yes, nutritional deficiencies seem to be a root in many diseased states. It seems about 3 out of 4 people in the U.S. are suffering from magnesium deficiency. I hear doctors telling people to lay off the salt, but how many of them recommend calcium, magnesium and potassium to offset the imbalance? It's simply moronic to try and treat people with synthetic compounds, when natural cures already exist.

I use epsom salts as well. Tip for quick relief, and $$ saver as well. You can use less salts by just taking a foot bath instead of a full one. There's a ton of pores in the feet that readily absorb the mag and sulfur.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
My advice to you (as a mom who has a mentally unstable son on medication):

Be sure to drink a lot of water, especially in the first few weeks. Dehydration can exacerbate side effects, if there are any.

Talk to your doctor, and if appropriate, take the medication at night before bed, due to the sedative properties. It will help to not zombify you during the day.

Journal. Note what you're thinking, what you're feeling. Also note physical symptoms, such as a need to eat. Also, journal your food intake. This way, if you have an increase in food consumption, you have a record. Monitor your weight. This isn't about your current weight, whatever it my be. It's about monitoring if you start gaining rapidly, which can be a side effect.

If you are involved in any kind of spiritual practice/religion, make a concerted effort to continue to practice/go to church/pray/meditate, etc.

USE your therapy, don't just pay lip service to the visits. The tools they can teach you can really help - especially during periods of paranoia, anxiety, or crises, but you need to practice them for them to be able to help you when you actually need them.

Because my son is unable to do these things, I do them for him, or remind him to do some of them, so enlist your parents if need be, depending on your attention-span.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Anti-depressants/psychotics are nothing but poison that serve no purpose other than negatively altering brain chemistry. .

Absolutley hear hear.......Talking from experience

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
It has given so many back their lives .

And its took 1000's more

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

Look there is always two sides of the coin and I have helped many people in my unit get on with their life's and I do after care work too where I go and talk to my ex patients and most (not all) have a better standard of living, but let's not forget we don't just pump people full of drug's we use many type's of therapy from Tia chi lesson's to golf therapy (my baby that one ).
It is a combination of these thing's what help people get on with their lives.
Iam truly sorry that you have had a bad experience with mental health proffessionals but we do care and we do help people. But you get bad workers in any profession.
Maybe I work in a good unit, I don't know. But I understand the need for medication and one day I do think they will solve the problems with the side effects.
Like I have said before it is very difficult to 1) Diagnose what is wrong 2)to come up with a care plan that will work
it really is trial and error but only by trying things we can make things better for people.
Iam glad your mental well being is better and I just hope you will help to get rid of the stigma against mental illness, because of the stigma the money for the research isn't there (in the uk only 8% of NHS money goes to mental health)
news.bbc.co.uk...
So don't just dismiss the field I work in because we are helping people.
Thanks for reading BM xxx

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sparksfley

Great advice, hope everything get's better for you and your son.
BM xxx

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The same medication can work differently for each person. With medications, it is all about getting the right one for you at the right dose. It is trial and error, but eventually you will find what works best for you.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join