It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to fall in love on the Internet?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Yes u can fall in love online but the thing is that u need to judge the person and sometimes its difficult while doing this online so one suggestion from my side is to talk on phone rather than chatting so that u can understand properly and for this this sex and dating tips are very important.Without getting proper tips its very difficult for sometime to make happy your partner.. so find more tips on newsnevents blog

www.newsnevents.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think you can fall in love with the "idea" of someone. But to fall in love... no.

I figured this and became cautious, when I realized that friend of mine had a long distance relationship with someone. She never told him what she really looked like, and never even spoke on the phone with him.

She spent day and night talking nonsense, and I thought it was weird that neither one of them had anything better to do. No time to say Ill ttyl, I have to make dinner, or go to the store.... nothing.

He finally sent a pic, and she sent a pic... of an avatar. She was over 400 lbs, but never said anything, and he frankly never asked. They were both comfortable with the idea of who they were, didn't care about real life, and when he left her for another "avatar" on a sim game, she tried to kill herself.

When someone out there is meant for you, you will know, but it is based on what you want, and what your looking for. We can all find companionship, yes this is possible, its just that some of us wont settle and others will.

I for one am open to the idea that love can be found in the most unusual places, but finding love, and being in love are two different things.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Is love from words the purest love? Because it is uncorrupted with physical matters?

First of all, I love that picture. It's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. But to answer that first question, I'd have to say yes. To both points. Since I fancy myself a writer that may be a biased answer though. But falling in love because of what someone writes or what someone says have one thing in common. It takes time. Depending on the quality of the words though will determeine HOW much time. Speaking only for myself, I can get my thoughts and feelings across much better when I write than if I try to speak them. Something gets lost in the process between thinking about what I want to say and saying it. I've always been that way. When I try to say what I feel, I can come across as a dok or an a**hole. All depends on my mood at time. If I'm in a good mood, I'm a dork. A bad mood and I'm an a**hole.

I remember one time when I was about 16, a girl came up to me and said that her big sister likes me. I told her to tell her big sister "me too". The little girl came back and and said that her big sister said I was an a**hole. lol
Classic facepalm moment right there, and the best case in point I can think of of how speaking your words can take on a meaning you don't really want. When you write something down it's not all spur-of-the moment stuff. You're putting thought into it.

I can write a love song that'll make you cry, but if I try to put the make on you in person, I'll make you laugh

Seriously.

I guess that it's a good thing that when I was teenager, my eyes got me laid more times than a hotel carpet. I never had to work for it. I just had to keep my mouth shut and let my eyes do the talking and my fingers do the walking.

I think writing is the purest form of self-expression that there is though. Do you make yourself look good by doing it? Yes. That's kind of the point. If for any other reason you're making yourself look good because when you write something, the person reading it knows that THAT is the real you. (At least I hope so) You can also make yourself look good by talking too. You can embellish both forms of communication to make yourself look better than what you really are. It goes both ways.

When you lust for someone, you want them based on what you see on the outside. When you love someone, you want them based on what you see on the inside. Lust will only take you so far out there. But if that's as far as you want to go, that's fine. Been there, done that and I'm not above going back there again. If you want more you're going to have to look a little deeper though. You're going to have to come in out of the cold and come inside where it's warm. With the Feelings. Words. Boys and girls aren't allowed to play in here. This is where things REALLY get done honey. And again, some people can express their feelings better when they write them down than if they try to speak them. But if you have that writing as a basis for "starter conversations" ( for lack of a better term), and both of you are on the same page with it, the rest should come pretty naturally.

Can you have a long term relationship on the internet? I don't think so because eventually you're both going to want that human touch that the internet obviously can't provide. Words will let you both know what you're really all about and allow you to make that first connection. Some women need that. They need to know that the man is for real. They need to know that he cares for THEM, not just what they have. Some women aren't going to let you into their secret garden until they know you're a farmer who knows what the hell he's doing.

Sometimes there are circumstances that won't let a man and woman do what they need to do to get to know each other better. And that makes things hard. Trust me.....it's hard.
That's where the internet can be a real life saver these days and the written word can be more important than you ever thought. If you ever find yourself in a situation like that to where you can only indirectly communicate through the internet, remember to choose your words carefully. But also remember that sooner or later, you're going to have to get together and seal the deal. Better sooner than later though. Some women can wait. Come what May right? Sometimes men can't and feel like they have to change the circumstances if they can.

youtu.be...

On the internet or not.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
One of my favourite films is '184 Charing Cross Road'. A romance of letters...doesn't anyone remember letters? Shame...real shame. But for us literary types, it is very easy to fall in love with words alone...whatever the delivery...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandrahogg
Yes u can fall in love online but the thing is that u need to judge the person and sometimes its difficult while doing this online so one suggestion from my side is to talk on phone rather than chatting so that u can understand properly and for this this sex and dating tips are very important.Without getting proper tips its very difficult for sometime to make happy your partner.. so find more tips on newsnevents blog

www.newsnevents.com...

Keep advertising your blog here and you won't be a member very long.

It's against the T and C and it's........just not cool.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The persona one puts out there over the Internet may or may not be who they actually are.
So no, "Love" isn't possible, but the foundation can be started online.

Until you meet the person face to face though, it's a "virtual" relationship, as that person may not even look like (or even be the same sex as) the person they portray.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I started this thread a while ago and now I am deciding "no." Love cannot come from the internet. I mean, its perfectly possible to meety somebody over the internet and then meet up with them in real life and fall in love. But that isn't what I was talking about anyway.

I've decided you need to find the real people or it isn't meaningful. Facebook friends are not friends. You need to see the person face-to-face. Because that is part of being human. There is something scary about what we are doing to ourselves with all these social networks. Its killing something human in people and they don't realize it.

So...go outside and meet people, is I guess the moral of the story, for this OP, anyway.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Welcome back PartyGirl, I thought you would be back.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
I started this thread a while ago and now I am deciding "no." Love cannot come from the internet. I mean, its perfectly possible to meety somebody over the internet and then meet up with them in real life and fall in love. But that isn't what I was talking about anyway.

I've decided you need to find the real people or it isn't meaningful. Facebook friends are not friends. You need to see the person face-to-face. Because that is part of being human. There is something scary about what we are doing to ourselves with all these social networks. Its killing something human in people and they don't realize it.

So...go outside and meet people, is I guess the moral of the story, for this OP, anyway.

No for you clearly, but otherwise all those projective 'yous' really should be 'I'. People can love, and even fall in love in many different, unquantifiable ways. I would rather hack off my own head with a butter knife than allow my parents to arrange a marriage for me, but one of the happiest couples that I have ever met, were joined in that way, and love each other passionately. What is right for some, is not necessarily right for others. And that is the most important thing to remember. We're all different, and vive la difference, if you ask me.

So I think the moral of this OP is that YOU need to get out and meet people, and in the meantime, leave everyone else to do as they wilt. Love is an infinite resource within you, once realised, and can be given as liberally and sparingly as you yourself choose, however you choose. I don't want to rub groins with everyone I meet, I tend to be very choosy about fluid exchanges in general, but love isn't hard to give (and receive) once you've learnt how.

From the Dalai Lama...

"One of the unique things about humanity is the special human brain. We have the capacity to think and to memorize. We have something that can have very special qualities. Because of that, education becomes very important. I believe that education is like an instrument. Whether that instrument, that device, is used properly or constructively or in a different way depends on the user. We have education on the one hand; on the other hand, we have a good person. A good person means someone with a good heart, a sense of caring for the welfare others, a sense of commitment, a sense of responsibility. Education and the warm heart, the compassionate heart-if you combine these two, then your education, your knowledge, will be constructive. Then you are yourself becoming a happy person. If you have only education and knowledge and a lack of the other side, then you may not be a happy person, but a person of mental unrest, of frustration. This will always happen. Not only that, but if you combine these two, your whole life will be a constructive and happy life. And certainly you can make immense benefit for society and the betterment of humanity. That is one of my fundamental beliefs: that a good heart, a warm heart, a compassionate heart, is still teachable. Please combine these two."

www.livingdharma.org...

It is not the internet that is the failing of human interactions, it is the humans that are failing to use it well and with compassion.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
yeah you can fall in love over the internet.... i would imagine you can fall in love anywhere and on anything.... love knows no boundaries.... if its meant to be, its meant to be....

i met my boyfriend of over a year now on facebook through a close friend of mine.... we just started talking about life and stuff then after a few months i started to really look forward to, and really enjoy our conversations together.... we spent hours online !! then one day my friend took me to meet him..... i was really nervous, but when we met there was no awkwardness, nothing.... just a great big cuddle !!

and i am still very much so in love with him.... methinks he is definitely the best thing thats ever happened to me

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My brother and sister in law met online. They've been married for a couple years now and get along quite well. I think it's rare but it can happen.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I'v been saying your crazy for some time now Partygirl, finally now you start to see some sense and see just how crazy you are, or were. And what were you talking about anyways, I think you probably might have mixed things with your whole bible love for the word that you have been raised in...There is a difference you know.

Just reread your op and you will see that your must of been pretty dam high back then.
Here I will quote it for you.

Or, is love from words the purest love? Because it is uncorrupted with physical matters? What do you think?

Makes a sort of sense, but it also make no sort of sense what so ever.

I don't know I probably have more in common with some people I met online then anybody I have ever come across in the outside world. But ya I would not take online friends or relationships all that serious, because like you said a part of being human is face to face stuff. In fact some of these internet friends are down right all suspiciously super sneaky and stuff, who knows what they might be up to.

But I don't think it's killing anything in people in fact in a lot of cases it seems to just be bringing things out to a forefront especially with the so called anonymity of the internet. So... Killing... nah... changing... definitely...is it good or bad...depends. Can you possibly fall in love on the internet...can happen, and it can also lead to other things...Can you fall in love with words like you said...That makes no sense, words are just words and usually there is a person behind them...Or sometimes a bot..Or a sock puppet...Or a agent of some sort..Or an alien from alpha draconis for all we know...So who knows who or even what might be writing those words.

But reading farther I think Biliverdin is in all probability right, different strokes for different folks.

And you Partygirl probably might want to take your own advice, and I think you did that already..Well you can do it again I guess...Just you know, try to meet some more sane and less controlling people this time.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I think Partgirl is showing her honesty with her experiences with the internet and also with its downfalls. I have often been told by men that they had fallen for my personality and I had to correct them everytime. I learnt very quickly that for some people the internet was an escapism and could and would say anything they liked and this medium can be dangerous. For some men and women it can be a rescue from their mundane or unhappy relationship. Behind a screen it portrays a safety net and secrecy. But once that is taken into the real life it has all the hallmarks of the horrible reality of dealing with a real person and their real personality.
But saying that I met my partner on the net and we talked for about a month. Then I invited him round to dinner with my family and we have never parted. 6 yrs now and I cannot believe I have met my perfect match. So it can happen you just have to be very wise to what the internet is all about....

Partygirl I understand what you are saying and you are young, your a good girl and you are open to all those males out there that would take advantage of you. I did read your thread of your last partner and that is the learning curve you have had. Just be very selective and remember relationships are a try out of 2 humans to see if they are compatable, love comes later when you realise that the person you chose has your best interests at heart.

sussy

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
I spent 2 years talking to a girl on irc and we did indeed "fall in love". Some days we would talk for 10-12 hours. I'm in Europe and restricted. She lives in the US and likewise.... ain't life a beach?

ETA Only text, via internet. No photo's, no webcam, no voice. I was completely smitten with her and her appearance mattered nothing for I had seen her heart in all its glory! She was also 10 years younger which didn't exactly fill me with confidence but that is possibly more my self-insecurity than anything else. I want a Vegas/Elvis wedding.
edit on 30/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 30/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Pfff, typo's, emotions and ...insecurity rofl

And you were....... 21 at the time? haaa...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
When it's just words on a screen I reckon people just fall in Love with the idea of Love....or Lust as the case usually is.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

I'm almost double that age.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Yeah it is possible. I know of a few people personally who met husbands/wifes online. I think just the fact some people here have said they met their partners online and have been together a long time and got kids also answers the question.

edit on 24-5-2012 by LightInside because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join