It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to fall in love on the Internet?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It can cause a chain reaction.
My ol man met his girlfriend on the net, they went out and ended up going serious and living with each other.
As a result of this, I met my girlfriend through his girlfriend as they're auntie and niece, lol.
We're all still together, 9 years for my ol man and his net bird and 5 years for me and her niece.
This came from an encounter on the net, between two people from different countries aswell.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Sure it's possible. It happened to me.

I met my wife online over 13 years ago.

We chatted online as friends for 2-3 months, then the private chats
for about a month, then the phone calls, one day she comes an visits me.
I go visit her the next weekend.

2 months of taking turns driving 4 1/2 hours to visit.

I moved to be with her, we haven't been apart since.

We've been happily married for 5 years now.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I have a slightly different take on it.

Yes, you can "meet" someone online, and chat, IM, trade digits, talk on the phone, whatever, but the feelings you share are derived from being lonely. You are mentally connecting with another human being. Ever hear the stories how the spouse checks the email/chat record of the other, only to discover they've been having an online "affair"? That's a connection found from being lonely.

There's no real love until you meet in person, physically touch, or kiss, or.....(fill in the blank). Once it's physical, the true love can grow, and that relationship will have a firm foundation because you already know much about that person, and already are enamored by their thoughts.

Can you plant a seed on the inter-webs? Sure. Will it grow into love? You have to meet in person to find that out.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
every relationship i've had has started on the interwebs...
they all asploded messily
but that has more to do with my subconscious inability to date anyone actually sane
than the way we met..
translation; intertubes is as good a way to communicate
as any other
and it's in communication you fall in love
or so i find.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I would say it is not out of the question in the same way that its not beyond the realms of possibility to meet that special one through the bar/club scene, I guess its kind of like a lottery. It is generally accepted that most long term relationships (LTRs) are found through a shared interest i.e. work, hobbies, or some other activity. I met my special one (eleven years, and counting) through work, she was the boss, and man those were sweet days followed by even sweeter nights..

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
cool picture eh? reminded me of "the Word that became flesh" and a few others.. as to the internet thing I believe it's possible and have even known some people that met through it but regardless the words of Jesus will never pass and everlasting life has everything to do with love

edit on 30-11-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

lol someone's been online dating eh

I think you have to be very careful with who you find on the internet... As you said words are very powerful

Many people present themselves quite differently then they are in reality...

What you see and what you read isn't always what you get...

You can only fall in love with an idea of what that person "might be"... until you meet them you can't possibly see that person for who they are...

For example... im "madcat" here... (apparently) ... But i can express my thoughts on things that i enjoy here more freely then i could in reality... at least on the topics i chose to post in.

Unfortunatly i would say falling in love with someone's profile, or even with chatting with said person is just fooling yourself... You need to meet a person to find out who they are...

P.S. Your old picture was better

edit on 30-11-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

IF Partygirl has been doing the online dating gig, then all I have to say, like usual, is.....Rock on, Partygirl!

I'll check for her next post in Relationships.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
lol.

Yes you are correct I have tried online dating a little but I'm leery of it. So I've stopped.

I had a really bad crush on somebody on this board for a while earlier, but I'm getting over it. Because I realized that I'm projecting all these ideas on a guy who happens to be a very good writer but I don't know anything about him as a real person, and that's d a n g e r o u s. So I was conflicted. Which is maybe why I started this thread.

But I decided not to pursue it, I don't think its a good idea for me.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

So if you are/were crushing on someone, why not simply become friends with him, and get to know more about him? Take off the rose colored glasses, and take the friendship for what it's worth, at face value.

If you walk away with another friend in life, what's there to loose? Friendship is the first step in ANY relationship. What comes afterwards is up to the individuals, but sometimes friendships are what a person needs to find their way through life.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Can the words somebody writes alone make you fall in love?

No.

Lust, admiration, etc., sure. But Love? No...that requires a little more to build on, to where you see a person for who they really are (vs. an "idea" from words online), and care more about that person's happiness than your own. Online, you still have detachment, and the ability to simply switch off the relationship like a light switch.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Is it possible to fall in love on the Internet?

As to the whole internet dating thing just by looking at this thread and all the others I seen on this subject I can say that in some ways its like everything else out-there...That is, sometimes it works...Sometimes it doesn't.

And I don't know what your trying to get at really.

But if going just by the words that you read online, then I would have to say... Yes and No....But if anything it just might be a crush or an infatuation or like you said, your just projecting all your ideas, expectations or hopes on something that is just a medium of communication.

If based on that alone then I would say No it is not possible, but if something more came out of it like some of the people on here said....Well then the answer would be Yes...As you can see it all just depends.

Can you trust the reality behind the words?

Hellz no, I trust no one, most especially some dudes online..

In fact I just assume anybody I am talking to online is some dude name bob in some basement somewhere or the CIA...Even you to Partygirl, with all your weird threads you start, I would say that I am 80% sure that you might actually be a girl, and who you say you are...Either that or your CIA.

But anyways Words are just descriptions of things and as such at best merely arrows pointing to the real thing...But a whole realities onto themselves they are not, what I think your getting at is...Your looking for assurances on love based on words...That Partygirl is just folly, so whatever crazy ideas you got Partygirl I would say try them out first, and if they work then great...But If not oh well, now you know and can move on.

But to base your entire world and expectations on words alone. Then that is bound to lead to that world crumbling, because words are merely words. And they can not define or accurately describe much less hold up anybodies whole world by themselves.

Or, is love from words the purest love? Because it is uncorrupted with physical matters?

To tell the truth I think the above makes no sense what so ever.

If anything I think your confusing and mixing all kinds of different meanings of love with possibly your religious and bible thumping thinking process and christian ways....If anything it sounds like your confusing reality, with something that is conceptual. Or better yet to be more precise, your trying to make something that is conceptual into a reality.

If anything its a horse and carriage matter, and I in no way what so ever see or understand how physical matters corrupt things, or how words alone is the purest form of love. I am pretty sure love is both a mental thing and a physical thing, and much more besides that.....If anything trying to separate things and classify them into different folders is folly.

What do you think?

I think you should ask or go check what your boyfriend says about such things, you know that one dude your always talking about, whats his name again.
Oh ya! Jesus or something....

Because you really don't want to know what I think....But I will say it anyways.....Parygirl, you so crazy and totally illogical, and to tell the truth that is definitely like what actually a female might think like....And so you have went up on my meter, and are now at 81% sure that your actually a girl.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Not only possible but it does happen and probably more often than we might think.

I gave it a try once, we did fall in love with each others words, met the person in real life but it didn't work out. But it does work for some people. Sometimes I do envy them.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I (an American man) met a Canadian woman online 5 years ago as of next January. We innocently played some online games for a few months, then moved onto instant messenger and just chatted while playing, usually for 5-6 hours a night for nearly 2 years. It was around this time that we started getting strong feelings so stopped the instant messanger. Now we just talk in emails 4x a week for a few hours each night. We're supportive and definitely care deeply about the other. We listen intently and flirt regularly, but we're not super keen on relationships in general (we're both super independent). Her birthday is coming up on the 9th and I'm going to make her a nice card, as I do every year for her bday and Christmas.

She's a legal secretary, a latin dancer, and a woman who I love dearly despite never seeing her or hearing her voice. We influenced each other's lives without even being around. I even picked up taking latin dance lessons just to try and understand that side of her. I'm currently getting my Master's in Professional & Technical writing because we started writing a novel together (which originally started as me telling her a bedtime story) and I realized that writing is something I'm passionate about and have a knack for.

I remember one time, three years ago, where I was going to have a major surgery the next day. She chose to stay talking with me online, despite my piss-poor mood, instead of going out with her girlfriends as she had planned. At the end of that conversation that night is when we first said "I love you". She has the nicest soul, even refusing to receive material gifts when I wished to give her something. I love her spiritually, intellectually and emotionally so much that the physicality never was important. Would I like to meet her someday and take her out on an official date? I definitely would and I really plan to, but I could still die without regret having known her the way I have up until this point.

Anyway, that's the story of an eccentric, old soul. If I lived in Vancouver where she does, and so never met her online, we could have just passed each other by on the street, never knowing how much we could have meant to the other.
edit on 4-12-2011 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Have to understand that there is a massive difference between love and infatuation. Infatuation can occur either online or in real-life interactions, the key is to recognise it and tread accordingly. Just because someone appears to be that 'knight in shining armor' does not in any way mean that person will be able to live up to that standard. It is also unrealistic, and fanciful to think otherwise, and hold that person to that standard. Infatuation feels great but it seldom has a solid basis in reality. Love develops over a longer period of time. That kind of love seeks the good of the other person often when you don't feel like it. Sure infatuated people will exhibit qualities that seem self-sacrificial to please the other person, but don't be fooled, examine yourself carefully, or observe it in others, and see how unrealistic and quite selfish it really is. Having said that, I think it is possible to meet someone online and have a good quality relationship come from it, though the two people will have to be very honest with each other throughout the courting stage prior to meeting.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Absolutely!~

I met my fiancee in person but we became close friends online because he lives overseas for work.

We spoke almost daily and got to know each other pretty well just from our conversations online. When he would come home for vacation we would spend time together and get to know each other even more. One of the times he came home is when I knew I was in love with him or had strong feelings for him. I knew there was something even the first day I met him, it was some gut instinct feeling and tbh it kind of freaked me out because I was with someone else at the time when we met.

Now we are together and I couldn't be happier... I posted a thread showing how serious we are, he gave me a promise ring

People say you can't find love online because people aren't themselves online, well the same can be said for people you meet offline. I think you can find love anywhere, there is no set place!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Right, but you eventually met in person, and that's what seals the deal....if exclusively online, all you can really do is fall in love with the IDEA of a person...until you meet them, and if they live up to that idea, great! If not, then well, move on I suppose.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Can you find love via the internet? Yes!! in fact that's how i met my fiance and is why i hopped on a greyhound back in july it was one of the best decisions of my life.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yes I think people could fall in love online, but I think it isn't very wise to do so.

the reasons why I think that is that you really don't know how the person is like, the way they're talking to you doesn't say much about the person. maybe the person isn't confident in real life but when he's writing, he sounds confident.

You wouldn't know if the person is lying to you or not. he could be only telling you what you want to hear.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes u can fall in love online but the thing is that u need to judge the person and sometimes its difficult while doing this online so one suggestion from my side is to talk on phone rather than chatting so that u can understand properly and for this this sex and dating tips are very important.Without getting proper tips its very difficult for sometime to make happy your partner.. so find more tips on newsnevents blog

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join