It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Warns Iran After Embassy Stormed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

UK Warns Iran After Embassy Stormed

www.bbc.co.uk

UK Prime Minister David Cameron has warned Iran of "serious consequences" after protesters stormed the British embassy and a UK compound in Tehran.

Mr Cameron said the failure of the Iranian government to defend British staff and property was "a disgrace".

"The Iranian government must recognise that there will be serious consequences for failing to protect our staff. We will consider what these measures should be in the coming days," he added.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I wonder what sort of "serious consequences" Mr Cameron is hinting at? My bet is that, he is just trying to intimidate the Iranians for deterrence from further attacks on foreign embassies.

Threats such as this get thrown around by the big drum beaters all too often, most of the time without any followup action.

Either such will be the case here or, it will be another step towards moving on Iran.

Will the Brits move troops to Iran 'to protect their assets' in Iran? If so, they could draw Iranians in to attacking these troops and then move in to take care of the "terrorist threat" on Brittish officials, assets and soldiers in Iran.

I honestly don't know for sure, none of us do in all honesty.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yet another story in the saga of as world war turns,what kind of serious consequences can they really do isnt the United States trying to break there bank.

Economic sanctions will be kind of harsh but Iran has survived them beforeso what kind of a rough deal can Great Britan hand down.Maybe the drums of war are beating very loud right now.

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
David Cameron is the last person I want leading the UK into a war....
Not that I want war that is but he is hardly Churchill or Thatcher.
I hope this isn't going to go the full distance because it will be worse than the Iraq war and the bodies of young boy's will pile up on both sides.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Also have we pulled our staff out of Iran? cos that's what you do when you goto war isn't it?
Just had a thought imagine if the "students" had harmed or killed one of the staff...If that had happened I think we would be in a lot of poop.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I would say that things are heating up real quick

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Heh.. does Iran have an embassy in the UK?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Oh hey, Another DAILY WORLD EVENT = WORLD WAR 3 post.
You honestly think this is going to lead to World war 3? So let me get this straight, You think the UK embassy being stormed, something that happened to a US embassy, In a much more volatile time, While the US was under a much more war loving and conservative government than the UK is right now. Will lead to global conflict? Jesus Christ, Nothing happened then. Why in the name of god would it ever happen now?
Grow up.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Serious consequences would be:- we will start destroying your assets on a continuing and escalating basis until you release our staff, humbly apologise and handsomely compensate us for the damage done.

Why the UK even has any diplomatic staff in that insane nation is beyond me - but just what sort of mindset does it reveal about the Iranian leadership that they think it is ok to give the go-ahead for this sort of action - this regime needs to be collapsed as soon as possible!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Do it,
You won't.

No balls!

Has anyone told the queen?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What can the UK do?

Its a massive breach of diplomatic protocol. I would say it would go anywhere from words being exchanged to possible diplomatic protest to the UN to individual sanctions.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mart0

My friend i am merely presenting a news article and my own opinion of what i have a right to.
I am sorry if i offended you in anyway and hope that we can better understand each other at a later date

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mart0

You honestly think this is going to lead to World war 3? So let me get this straight, You think the UK embassy being stormed, something that happened to a US embassy, In a much more volatile time, While the US was under a much more war loving and conservative government than the UK is right now. Will lead to global conflict? Jesus Christ, Nothing happened then. Why in the name of god would it ever happen now?
Grow up.

Wow, so vindictive and hate filled. Governments can manipulate the same event in different situations for use as a trump card when they need it.

I'm not saying they will but, do governments always react the exact same way to recurring situations? Wouldn't it depend on the agenda of the government making the decision?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It was shocking that this was not seen coming as it has been in the iranian press that the goverment was not happy with UK pushing the sanctions against the Iranian banks. Security should have been stepped up as the UK ambassador was also told to leave. It was students that demonstrated their displeasure to UK goverment, I suppose no different to the students in uk then.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Technically, an attack on an embassy is an act of war, but i cant see a war coming from this.

Serious consequences will most likely be longer/tougher sanctions, or "we'll be keeping a hard eye on you" empty threat.

We don't have anything to attack them with, Iran has too many strong allies to fight against, we are still in 2 wars and stationed all over, there is no way a war could come from this. And no one would let NATO go near them.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mart0

Grow up.

I'd note a couple pretty important differences between 1979 and now. First and foremost though is the state of affairs in the world. In 1979, the United States had a largely demoralized military still in a serious state of disarray. There is no way war would have broken out for that reason alone. As it happens, and tragically, we didn't have the clear chains of command and practical ability to even complete the inbound leg of a rescue mission.

War loving? Conservative? in 1979??? Are we talking about the same time line here or am I in a parallel world? Jimmy CARTER was a war loving conservative? One could call Ronald Reagan a hawk to the extreme, but Reagan wouldn't come to Office until the end of the Hostage Crisis. In fact, some still speculate the crisis in Tehran ended for Reagan by a backroom deal..but I digress.

Fast forward to today..and the world is ALREADY ramping up from multiple directions to go to war with Iran or in response to Iran starting a war with Israel. Either way won't matter. This was icing on the cake of a situation that is already akin to playing with fire in a dynamite factory. I hope there are come cooler heads in London in a position to prevail before the 'ol chap in charge does something...rather rash, as they might say over there.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

We will consider what these measures should be in the coming days,"

Israel just got the green light from the UK.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
william hauge made it sound like a declaration of sorts,they must return those books! and we hope they really have weapons (oil) reply to post by Suffi

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

We will consider what these measures should be in the coming days,"

Israel just got the green light from the UK.

What?

Where did that come from?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'd note a couple pretty important differences between 1979 and now. First and foremost though is the state of affairs in the world. In 1979, the United States had a largely demoralized military still in a serious state of disarray. There is no way war would have broken out for that reason alone. As it happens, and tragically, we didn't have the clear chains of command and practical ability to even complete the inbound leg of a rescue mission.

And you don't see the comparisons to then and now. With the US and UK's Armies being in almost the exact same situation coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan?

War loving? Conservative? in 1979??? Are we talking about the same time line here or am I in a parallel world? Jimmy CARTER was a war loving conservative? One could call Ronald Reagan a hawk to the extreme, but Reagan wouldn't come to Office until the end of the Hostage Crisis. In fact, some still speculate the crisis in Tehran ended for Reagan by a backroom deal..but I digress.

Oh sorry yes, That was my mistake. However, If Carter and Reagan to some degree didn't go to war, then Cameron of all people won't

The UK isn't a country that goes to war over things like this. Even if the Military and Government wanted it. The population would never let it happen. War dead in the UK, While not taking away from the loss of US servicemen, Is taken in a much different and personal way. The UK army and the UK citizens don't want another war. The the tories know starting one means they will be out the door next election.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join