It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flu shots this year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hello all

I thought I'd start a thread to find out who has had their Flu shot this year and why you got it. Or if you've decided not to get it, why? I thought it would also be interesting to hear if any of you have any problems caused by having the shot.

Me, I have to get the shot every year because my wife is immune compromised. I didn't feel the needle this year *yay!* but as usual I feel like I have a bit of a dead arm.

How about you guys?

Rev

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

I got one this year. I was sick for three weeks following taking the shot.
Why did I take it? Last year I didn't take one and ended up in the hospital with complications from the flu.
It seems I'm damned if I take it and damned if I don't.
At least I didn't require hospitalization from taking the shot, although, I'm not sure. Because I decided to just stay home and tough it out, instead of going to visit a doctor.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
No flu shots for our family. My daughter got one a few years ago and ended up with pneumonia. I am supposed to get one yearly but I just don't trust them. I got my pneumovax shot and was sick for a year. The flu shot is supposed to help and maybe they do for some but in our family I notice that people end up sick.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Yeah, when you get the Flu proper it really can knock you for six. So to you, (correct me if I'm wrong) it's worth the risk, so that you won't be sick.

Rev

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
One flu shot a year? The CDC openly admits that the communicable virus they've just injected you with only lasts about 3 months, so really you need 4 a year to stay current.

Make sure you're getting the one with the H1N1 (PANDEMIC! PANDEMIC! PANDEMIC!) included

And you're more likely to get the flu after your injection anyway. I've personally NEVER had the flu, seems stupid to go and get it purposely injected to save me from it.

*notice how i don't use the word vaccine... it's not...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I decided not to do it.
Last year I got one and it was the only year in my life I got one. (I'm 49)
I think I'm better off letting my body fight it off naturally for many reasons.
And I'm becoming increasingly paranoid too I suppose.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

I'm a great believer in not taking medication of any kind unless the need for it is apparent. So I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally, I wouldn't get the flu shot (especially as it also covers the swine flu now) if I didn't need to.

Rev

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
For me and my family a big no, never. As for my upper nineties Grandparents I make sure that they are covered for pneumonia and that is all they need. My Grandma has never been the same after she almost died from the last batch she came in contact with a few years ago as well as a huge bunch of people in our community. Of course it was never associated with the flu shots...

My great aunt did get the shot this fall and she shed the virus to my Grandpa who was down for several days. Again no correlation to the flu...

As a CTer I have to pick my battles and you just cant change peoples minds who still believe that if it were bad for them the FDA and other Government agencies would not allow it, oh well.
edit on 29-11-2011 by antar because: n

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by richierich931

According to manufactures notes and the UK prescribing guide, having a flu shot doesn't make you anymore likely to actually get the flu.

Rev

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I worked in a health care facility some years ago and did my own research into who got the flu that year and simply put everyone that took the shot got the flu and those who did not take it stayed healthier, if they did get something it was never as severe or long lasting.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

What's a CTer? I'm all for people choosing whither or not to to have vaccinations, but to make that choice I believe that said people should read everything available before making the decision.

Rev

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Also I will S@F your thread as I am interested in your question even if we do not agree with taking the shot. A CTer or conspiracy theorist.
edit on 29-11-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ah a fellow carer. Have you also noticed that people who often claim to have the Flu usually just have a bad cold? I've had Flu. I felt like death and I couldn't even get up and go to the toilet on my own because I was so unwell.

I'd really like the folks who get "man-flu" a few times a year to have proper flu and see what it does to them.

Rev

ETA: Thanks for the SnF.

edit on 29/11/2011 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Yep but what I have seen even more of are people who claim that they have never been sick when in fact I have seen them sick and in denial!

I hate when parents send their kids to school sick to contaminate other kids and community and yet when asked they claim that their child was not sick...

If they vomit, they say it was something they ate... Ah denial.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by richierich931
One flu shot a year? The CDC openly admits that the communicable virus they've just injected you with only lasts about 3 months, so really you need 4 a year to stay current.

The CDC says:

However, evidence from clinical trials suggests that protection against viruses that are
similar antigenically to those contained in the vaccine extends for at least 6–8 months. Three years after vaccination with the A/Hong Kong/68 vaccine, vaccine effectiveness was 67% for prevention of influenza caused by the A/Hong Kong/68 virus (145). In randomized trials conducted among healthy college students, immunization with TIV provided 92% and 100% efficacy against influenza H3N2 and H1N1 illnesses, respectively, during the first year, and a 68% reduction against H1N1 illness during the second year (when the predominant circulating virus was H1N1) without revaccination (146). In a similar study of young adults in 1986–1987, TIV reduced influenza A (H1N1) illness 75% in the first year, H3N2 illness 45% in the second year, and H1N1 illness 61% in the third year after immunization (146). Serum anti-influenza antibodies and nasal IgA elicited by vaccination remain detectable in children vaccinated with LAIV for more than 1 year (147). In one community-based nonrandomized open label trial, continued protection from MAARI during the 2000–01 influenza season was demonstrated in children who received only a single dose of LAIV during the 1999–2000 season (148).

TIV is the trivalent influenza vaccine, the shot. LAIV is the live attenuated influenza vaccine, the intranasal spray. LAIV is also trivalent, meaning it targets three strains, except the one year they made a monovalent version for the pandemic.

Make sure you're getting the one with the H1N1 (PANDEMIC! PANDEMIC! PANDEMIC!) included

They all include the 2009 pandemic strain.

And you're more likely to get the flu after your injection anyway. I've personally NEVER had the flu, seems stupid to go and get it purposely injected to save me from it.

Get the shot, not the intranasal spray. The shot is a dead virus. Unless you are Jesus Christ and you can raise viruses from the dead, you will not get the flu from a flu shot. You might get the flu around the same time you get a flu shot, especially if you put it off and wait until it's spreading in your area, or if there's a surprise strain that's not in the vaccine like 2009 H1N1. But you won't get the flu from the shot.

Yes, I got mine.
edit on 29-11-2011 by FurvusRexCaeli because: clarification

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Yep manflu symptoms include rapid weight loss through all orifices simultaneously, lol it takes a real man to survive those affects!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I did not take it, I will not
I did not take the H1N1 shot when it came out
And i'll probable never take -any- flu shot ever.

The last time i had a flu shot was when it was mandatory at school, same with any shot come to think of it. So estimation i have not had a flu shot in say.. 15 years? And in that time i have had the flu maybe 3 times. If that, and usually not for longer than two or three days.

I don't believe they work, the human bodies immunity is much stronger than any flu shot. I also have a very good immune system, i hardly ever get sick.

My father tried to get me to take the H1N1, i refused. Apparently doctors here at the time were forcing people to take it or not get certain medical help, especially if you were older. My girlfriend tried to tell me to come with her to get the flu shot this year, iwas like "Noooope".

Obviously not taking it has worked for me for so many years. And i can deal with a flu with no issues, sure getting sick sucks, im sure some people do actually need it. Just saying that me personally, i dont take it, and i wont let my future children take it either.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I got the flu shot back in September. I've felt like veal since then.

I got mine at a Veterans Hospital. I wonder if there's a diffidence between the one we get and the one regular doctors give.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo
reply to post by AuntB

I'm a great believer in not taking medication of any kind unless the need for it is apparent. So I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally, I wouldn't get the flu shot (especially as it also covers the swine flu now) if I didn't need to.

Rev

I agree with you.
I had the Flu-vaccine for about five years after i developed Diabetes but when i started to research the so-called Swine flu Pandemic, i realised it was all about money for the Pharma`s and GP`s.
So i haven`t had the jab for 3 or 4 years now.
I take plenty of Vitamin D from September till March and no Flu.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

You my friend are an inspiration to us all. Good research is worth it's weight in gold.

Rev

top topics

<<   2 >>

join