It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you really need to survive..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If you have a SHTF event...could you survive on just this?

An ax and a couple good knives with stone.
A few changes of cloths(socks,underwear/long jons,pants,shirts and coat)
Fire making tools(matches,lighter, tinder, sticks stone and string)
Weapon with ammo...any caliber your choice just have one
Away to purify and carry water
Backpack
String
Tarp/tent
Fishing kit
Small mess kit
The knowledge to hunt/fish/trap and aquire food

My point is, if you have a few simple things that you might need for heat/shelter/warmth/aquiring food...you could live a long time with very few things to carry around....but the question is...do you know how to use them to increase your chances of survival?
If so great...if not...what are you waiting for?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Your basics are (in no particular order)

Fire
Food
Water
Shelter
First Aid

Gear is the things that you need in order to meet those needs. You can go light, with things pulling as much double and triple duty as possible or you can go heavy with some more specialized gear.

The thing to consider is how long you plan to be out and what might happen. A short 2-3 hike on a trail in a nearby woods on a late spring/early summer day. Probably just a stainless steel water bottle, pocket knife, lighter and rain jacket would suffice. You could take more such as 15-20 feet of paracord or a small first aid kit. Or perhaps an emergency blanket.

Of course in that situation, you would be forced to spend the night out in the woods because you twisted an ankle or became disoriented as it became dark. In any case of how it happened, someone should know that was where you headed and your lack of returning home should mean that people will begin looking for you either that night or the next morning.

Other situations are more long term and would require different gear. But all things remain the same so long as you keep the rule of threes in mind. Which is the average time you can do without something.

3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog

Backpack
String
Tarp/tent
Fishing kit
Small mess kit

My point is, if you have a few simple things that you might need for heat/shelter/warmth/aquiring food...you could live a long time with very few things to carry around....but the question is...do you know how to use them to increase your chances of survival?

Everything on your list is good, the last item on your list is the only one you can't do without. You can pick up a good SERE or military survival manual online for next to nothing.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Your basics are (in no particular order)

Fire
Food
Water
Shelter
First Aid

The first aid bit is the one that kills people. Usually if the SHTF, or even if it hits just your personal fan, you're likely to need first aid.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Three matches.
A telescopic shovel.
A decent location.
Your memories of better times.
And one tough attitude!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Nobody thought about a knife? I must in any situation. I carry a Leatherman myself. Also the means to start a fire. If you haven't done it already, It's better to learn before you need to know.
edit on 29-11-2011 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Nobody thought about a knife? I must in any situation. I carry a Leatherman myself. Also the means to start a fire. If you haven't done it already, It's better to learn before you need to know.
edit on 29-11-2011 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

Knives are rudimentary. You shouldn't leave the bedroom, let alone the house, without one anyway

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Food, water, shelter and tools/gear are well and good but without a strong will to survive most will not make it (especially in the cold dead of winter). Add mental toughness/will to survive to the ''intangibles'' part of your list.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
As a side note, some things people NEVER consider:

1. Make sure your teeth are good. Get to a dentist regularly. Last thing you need 3 months into a SHTF scenario is to lose a 20-year old filling.

2. If you take an prescription meds, have any backup plan you can get

3. Keep multivitamins and supplements on hand.

Your #1 tool is you. If you're broken, you're SOL.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

In initial post along with the ax.

And on another note, you wouldn't really even need an ax if you had a heavy knife. If you baton the knife (hit it with a stick into what you are trying to cut) you can usually get through anything narrower than the knife is long, and with a good sized knife, around a five inch blade or so, you should be able to get big enough pieces of wood for most situations, I don't think that chopping a full size tree is really necessary or wise in a survival situation.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog

Backpack
String
Tarp/tent
Fishing kit
Small mess kit

Give me all that, a come along, and a couple acres of arable land. Tell the government to leave me alone, and I would be living quite well in a few weeks; months for a truly comfortable permanent dwelling.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

the basic things im taking

Originally posted by m.red
i live in toronto canada and come spring im out of here. i noticed alot of people taking backpacks and bikes or hiking. i have decided to travel simpler and faster (but only near water lol) so last summer i bought a kayak info (no breaking parts). i also notice people only packing for like 72 hours or so, i think im a 5 when it comes to supply and 6 for knowledge and 6 for mental preparedness. here is a list of my items.
hunting-
-pump bb gun info
-slingshot info
-knife
-sharpener
-snare wire
-pellets bearing extra bands

fishing-
-line 500ft 50p
-hooks x20
-weights x10
-bobbers x 5

building-
-axe inf o
-saw
-tarp x3
-utility knife
-foldable shovel info
-needles
-thread
-razor bladed
-para cord 200ft 500p
-zip ties

food/water
-bag of oatmeal
-pot set
-eating knife,spork
-bag to hold water
-water bottle filter set
-clean water tablets
-2 week dry food
-salt

fire-
-fire starter info
-cotton
-mirror
-magnafying glass

navagation-
-maps
-compass
-radios x2
-wind up light

safety-
-whistle
-light
-lifejacket
-first aid kit (full)
-surgical kit (fix cuts)

clothing-
-hat
-full head mask
-wet suit
-thermal long underware x4
-thermal long undershirt x4
-thermal long shirts x2
-thermal pants x2
-thermal sweather
-waterproof light shell jacket
-waterproof light shell pants
-waterproof gloves
-sleeping bag

storage-
-20l dry bag x6
-80l dry bag x3
-small electronic dry bag x4
-seethrough air tight square storage box x2

sanitation-
-razors
-soap
-clothes
-sponge
-towel
-mirror

and the sas survival guide pocket size info

ok sorry to make it so long but there is still alot i didnt put in. this is most of what i am taking, i am only worried about taking food for a bit cause the wild is full of things when i learn how to take advantage of it. i dont plan to survive in the wild as much as my mind set is to explore and understand what i NEED, not what i want, and how to get it. i dont plan to take anything that expires or will be throwen away when done. pump bb gun so no buying co2, water bottle with extra filter, lasts a long time, kayak has lots of room so no need to carry stuff and travels with good speed (no gas). well thats my basics and hope all goes well with your survival gear,trip,and attitude stay safe and be prepared my friends.

edit on 29-11-2011 by m.red because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

attitude , if you havnt got it , nothing will save you , if you got it you will save yourself with almost nothing

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
knowledge, skill , experience, ability to think and maintain composure at all times.

without those all the tools, toys and high-tech gadgets that you all insist upon lugging around are useless.

dont need all that junk to live well. do quite nicely without it as do the indiginous peoples around the world.

amazing how westerners always overcomplicate everything...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
All of you survivalist types and nobody mentioned the "ONLY" thing you must have to survive.
What about air?
You can go weeks without food, days without water, but only minutes without air.

top topics

join