It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious question about light (particle/wave)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Originally posted by Blarneystoner

a single magnitude 6 star (still visible to unaided eye)

That would be the difference. You're talking about a visible star, while the 200-photon-per-hour calculation is in reference to a star in a distant galaxy. The nearest galaxy to us is the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy, which contains red giants having a typical magnitude of about 13. Even these are in no way visible to the naked eye.

OK... I get it now. I was thinkiing we were talking about distant stars in our galaxy and not stars in distant galaxies. I wouldn't think that this applies to the OPs question though, as you said the stars in a galaxy that distant wouldn't be visible to the naked eye. The OP did say " What if the star is millions of light years away?" but I figured that was because he didn't know that a star at that distance wouldn't reside in the Milky Way.

Thanks for clarifying...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Light and perhaps other radiation or electrical forms have the properties of the photon
which is the ability to provide a quantum of energy. This quantum of energy is most
effective in the atom that is built up and modeled with a quantum characteristic.
Most amazing is the origin of light in the atom that somehow radiates in every direction
with loss less efficiency throughout space.

<< 1  2   >>

join