It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths twin located?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm laughing my a$$ off right now!!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Thanks for the educational session but you seemed to have taken the post literal while disregarding the point.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why the search for life isn't started with a solar system closest to ours. If my dog ran away I wouldn't go 5 blocks over and start searching, I'd go with the next street over and work my way out... You think it would be the same on a galactic scale.
edit on 29-11-2011 by anthbes because: grammar.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Watch the movie Another Earth...

Moving tale:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

This isn't a search for life. It is a search for planets.
We do not have the technology to search for life in other systems, even around the closest stars.

edit on 11/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by anthbes

This isn't a search for life. It is a search for planets.
We do not have the technology to search for life in other systems, even around the closest stars.

Kepler was designed for just such a mission.

Kepler and the Search for Life in Our Galaxy09.15.09 There are so many stars in our galaxy that even if planets with complex life (animals and plants) are rare – say one for every billion stars – there could still be dozens here in the Milky Way. But we are just beginning to learn about worlds beyond our solar system, called exoplanets, so we really don't have a good idea of what the chances are for advanced life. That's where NASA's Kepler mission comes in.

Source: NASA

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

The Kepler mission seeks to detect Earth-like, i.e., rocky planets in our galaxy within the habitable zone of their parent stars, by looking for planetary transit events.

www.nasa.gov...

Planets. We do not have the technology to search for life. We can find planets which may be similar to Earth but all we can learn about them is their mass and size and their distance from their primary.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
reply to post by yourmaker

Thanks for the educational session but you seemed to have taken the post literal while disregarding the point.

did that on purpose, just wanted to throw that info in there for someone who would really consider it.
wasnt laughing at you.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The only real technologies that we have to "detect" other "life" are the SETI projects. If they find transmissions from other life forms either on other planets, or living in some form that we don't yet know or understand, then that would be finding other life.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

True.
But Kepler and other planet seeking projects are not looking for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
All planets capable of sustaining human life are the property of scandinavia.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Absolutely. We really haven't explored our own solar system in any real sense yet. I mean we have sent PROBES to the planets that we have, but detailing what we have in our system should be a real first step to understanding the solar system and then conversely the Galaxy that we live in. Baby steps.

Example, people constantly post that "this" or "that" comet/rock/asteroid is about to wipe us out.

Well, how about we build a series of probes that map out all of the rocks/stuff that's out there? That way we know what's in our own neighborhood FIRST. No surprises.

Kind of like trying to fight a war, and you are starting out in your house, you know that the enemy is outside somewhere. Oh yeah, let me send a probe to the next city and see what's out there!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the update OP. I have to express some shock at some of the jaded responces in this thread. This is big news. A rocky planet in a goldilocks zone-confirmed. Sure it doesn't rotate and you have a birthday every month (how does that rock your noggin) but none the less there would be a zone of "twilight" (sans sparkly vampires) of considerable size that could support all kinds of life and if life takes hold it would be really interesting to see how it would evolve to take advantage of the more extreme enviroments.

Pure speculation of course but fun!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
Thanks for the update OP. I have to express some shock at some of the jaded responces in this thread. This is big news. A rocky planet in a goldilocks zone-confirmed. Sure it doesn't rotate and you have a birthday every month (how does that rock your noggin) but none the less there would be a zone of "twilight" (sans sparkly vampires) of considerable size that could support all kinds of life and if life takes hold it would be really interesting to see how it would evolve to take advantage of the more extreme enviroments.

Pure speculation of course but fun!

You could live in a zone that is always looking like a sun rise, or sunset.

Stunning.

Unfortunately our plants would get a tad confused and have to learn how to go into budding (please keep the discussion civil here..
) so that we could eat something.

But, until I see a picture of the planet, I'll reserve judgement. The "technology" being used to find these planets, has never had a way to judge, to make 100% sure that this method actually works and finds planets.

The only true way to make 100% sure, is to see the actual planet.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
@ 50,000 MPH, which is roughly what we can do right now, it would take us over 250,000 years to travel 20 light years of distance (114,421,248,000,000 miles).

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
Not too excited about this thread. They've said this many times...

"The New Earth"

"A new planet was found 25 galaxies from Earth that might be able to sustain life. The temperature is just right on the planet."

"It'll take us 100 years to get there. So we'll never know."

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
If the political systems of the world would get out of the way of the people, and allow collaboration between the people of Earth, we could build something that would get us there quickly. The power hungry families that pass money to thier decendants, allowing them to control the masses as slaves and promote separation of the masses, will do everything to maintain control over us. We are stagnant as a species because of them. If we are to fulfill our role as a seed of life in the Universe and evolve out into the Universe we must first tear down the walls built between us for the greater good of all. Imagine a huge part of the 7 billion people here moving off planet. The Earth itself would return to balance. Population control measures wouldn't be needed or used... We would finally pass the test given to us by the Universe. If there was a new frontier, a new Earth, and you could move there next year, would you? I would in a heart beat!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

we must bring democracy, and capitalist theory to them! Send Hillary!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TylerDurden2U
reply to post by Vitchilo

we must bring democracy, and capitalist theory to them! Send Hillary!

Oh dear lord, please not Hillary. Even Bill can't stand her and he will pretty much scre$ anything!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Long story short, those planets are too far for us to reach with conventional technology. We'll never reach them on our own. We need alien help to succeed. The End?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hey for the international Forum users who don't get fox are there any updates? I would like to at least get the location relative to system. The evidence etc. Also Who is for and who is against this find? I know its a shopping list I am having difficulty finding on google a link to this announcement also can anyone youtube link the segment? If its not to much to ask? Thanks in advance from interested on the other side of the pond.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join