It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YACY search engine launch slows site due to media response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Well, this looks like a nice little step in the right direction.

YaCy is a free search engine that anyone can use to build a search portal for their intranet or to help search the public internet. When contributing to the world-wide peer network, the scale of YaCy is limited only by the number of users in the world and can index billions of web pages. It is fully decentralized, all users of the search engine network are equal, the network does not store user search requests and it is not possible for anyone to censor the content of the shared index. We want to achieve freedom of information through a free, distributed web search which is powered by the world's users.
yacy.net...

but it seems they're getting more publicity than expected

There is currently massive load on this page because of press releases today. A search might be not successful now.

search.yacy.net...

The BBC has this to say about it,

Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search sites have a new rival called YaCy.

Backed by free software activists, YaCy aims to literally put search into the hands of users by distributing its indexing engine around the net.

Anyone can download the YaCy software and help the search system improve and spread the load of queries.

Its creators also hope YaCy will be much harder to censor then existing systems that pipe queries through centralised servers.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Personally, I think it is a good thing. I detest the storage of peoples 'search' methods and requests in order to build profiles of people for marketing/spying purposes so yacy could be the thing we take forwards as a global leader...
Time will tell and will be interesting to hear your opinions.
I have already downloaded and installed the peer bit thingy..

edit on 29-11-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of response in relation to YACY....

I would have thought it was one of those things that the majority of us on here would have been screaming out for.
Especially when they say

freedom of information through a free, distributed web search which is powered by the world's users.

I am actually using it and slowly getting my head around it.. slowly...

I'm sure some of you people out there would look at it and think "this is so easy"....

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think YaCy will catch on eventually. I have put it on three computers, two of which are downright puny.

One is an old laptop, with a maybe a gig of Ram and not a very large CPU. It was running just fine, just fine.

I have run it on a netbook. Again, no problem.

I have put it on my workstation, seems fitting. But unnecessary! It was fine on the laptop. I just don't like leaving small computers running unattended.

At the moment, the YaCy search portal seems to have a minor bug, which causes it to hang after a search, at least in some operating systems. But I am confident that they will sort things out soon. The background operation of storing and networking across peers continues working. It is only the search portal display part that seems to hang.

So give it a try. Load up. It won't be a drag on your computer. I can run it on a netbook, for goodness' sake.

I'm just mentioning the little bug in case you might try it, and get discouraged. Just let it keep running (do a restart) and they will fix the bug soon enough.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Yesterday I mentioned a bug in YaCy that was making searches difficult. That problem is now resolved. I think the programmers are a first-rate squad, and it now works perfectly. If you do decide to install YaCy, and have a question or two, I might be able to help a bit, but honestly the whole thing is so simple, as I said I was able to get it to run even on a tiny netbook. Netbooks for freedom, how's that sound?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

downloading it now to give it a try...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
How's it going so far? Any luck getting it humming?

new topics

top topics

join