It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New homebuilt rifle design Behold the Longziz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I ran across this rifle design at thefirearmblog.com this morning and it was so amazing I figured I'd post it here on ATS for you guys to look at too.

img.abovetopsecret.com...

Here are some basic pics of the design and the rifle assembled in it's current guise... It's currently not quite to fireable status, but I have no doubt it will get there eventually. It boasts switchable left to right hand ejection with the just the flipping down of an ejection port cover which flips up the other side automatically. In addition to this he somehow has got it so that the bolt spins to move the ejector inline with one port or the other which is a technically very difficult task. All in all it's an amazing piece of engineering by anyone's standards, and hopefully one day it will make it to market.

longziz link ar 15.com

longziz YT VID

thefirearmblog.com longziz coverage
edit on 29-11-2011 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

now that is a mean looking mother#er, dont wana be on the wrong end of that!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

An AR bullpup nice! I have a bullpup kit on the way from Shernic for my SKS if it will ever get here. I have a bud that has one. He waited a year for it, but it was worth the wait. Completely changes the rifle. The trigger pull on the SKS bullpup is no worse than the original. Of course original SKS trigger pull is not that great, but his kit didn't seem to make it any worse. It made his old gun modern, fun to shoot, and made his shot grouping twice as fast, and a lot tighter.

If this guy gets his stock to market I'll ante up for one!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
as a lefty and a bullpup fan you can bet I'm hoping this makes it to market. Unlike nearly every other bullpup out there it actually accommodates us left hand shooters. Unless the Keltec RFB comes out first in 5.56 I think I'll be spending my money on a longziz as soon as they are available.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

why would you want 5.56, I was thinking he needs to go 308 and Ace that AR platform for the more reliable H&K or keltec design gas operation is old tech and very dirty.

Roller delayed blowback

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Keltec's long guns are all gas operated so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. While it's true that Hk has roller delayed blowback designs their newest designs are also Gas operated. Just FYI for those who mistakenly believe that HK walks on water. Don't get me wrong I like what HK builds but implying they are doing something other than what they are is just passing on bad information.
LINK to Keltec RFB description from kelteccnc.com

The RFB is a short-stroke gas piston operated semi-automatic rifle in 7.62 mm NATO caliber.

G36 wiki

Action Gas-operated, rotating bolt

You will also find that the HK 416 is gas piston operated as well.

Also it should be noted that both of these weapons use Gas pistons rather than Direct Gas Impingement systems like the standard AR 15. This system is much cleaner than Direct Gas impingement.

While I'm not going to get into the difference between short stroke piston and long stroke piston operation I just want people to know the facts. And those facts are that the Longziz uses the exact same piston operated style system of other front line state of the art assault rifles.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
Keltec's long guns are all gas operated so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. While it's true that Hk has roller delayed blowback designs their newest designs are also Gas operated. Just FYI for those who mistakenly believe that HK walks on water. Don't get me wrong I like what HK builds but implying they are doing something other than what they are is just passing on bad information.
LINK to Keltec RFB description from kelteccnc.com

The RFB is a short-stroke gas piston operated semi-automatic rifle in 7.62 mm NATO caliber.

G36 wiki

Action Gas-operated, rotating bolt

You will also find that the HK 416 is gas piston operated as well.

Also it should be noted that both of these weapons use Gas pistons rather than Direct Gas Impingement systems like the standard AR 15. This system is much cleaner than Direct Gas impingement.

While I'm not going to get into the difference between short stroke piston and long stroke piston operation I just want people to know the facts. And those facts are that the Longziz uses the exact same piston operated style system of other front line state of the art assault rifles.

thats what im saying the AR platform though is diff in that the gasses actually get into the chamber making it unreliable after so many rounds of dirty ammo... IMO the gas piston of the keltec su-16 and h&k or ptr 91 uses a piston but keeps the gasses away from the chamber...

I know how they all work I was just curious as to why you prefer the other .223 and the more popular but dirty AR platform. you know a great deal about guns so I was just wondering. I didn't mean to get into a which gun is better debate just expressing my preference and wondering about yours...

all great info you posted there most people don't know.
edit on 12/2/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Honestly I think it's sort of an apples to oranges comparison. The Direct gas impingement system definitely gives a leg up to the accuracy of a weapon, but I don't really know if the cost of this accuracy is worth it. Personally I haven't had the pleasure to fire an HK 416 or it's variants but from what I hear they are tack driving accurate....

Honestly I personally think that gas piston is probably the way to go all things considered, especially short stroke gas pistons which have much less mass and therefore degrade accuracy much less than say an AK style long stroke gas piston assembly. Just for the sake of noting the keltec SU 16 uses a long stroke gas piston while the RFB uses a short stroke gas piston.

Here is a link detailing the various types of gas operation including short stroke piston and long stroke piston based operation gas operation Wiki

As you can see from the pictures and animations contained in the link a short stroke gas piston gives you the cleanliness advantage of a gas piston system. It does this while also having a relatively light set of recoiling components over the barrel which is what makes the short stroke system more accurate than a long stroke gas piston. In my mind this combination of cleanliness and accuracy potential is probably the optimal way to go.

On that note when I can scrape up the money I'd like to convert My AR to the adams arms gas piston system so I can spend more time shooting and less time cleaning my rifle.

Now if you ask me though I still think one day someone smarter than me will come up with some unique method of recoil operation that will blow away any and all gas operated systems. But maybe that's just me dreaming.

IN the mean time though I think this Longziz style rifle which will be gas operated has some pretty great potential. It still remains to be seen what he intends to do with the gas system, but hopefully it will live up to the rest of his design.

EDIT TO ADD:

Oh and on the 7.62 note personally I'd love to see this rifle in 6.5 grendel. which has better terminal ballistics out to up to 600 yards than either 7.62 nato or 5.56. Personally I really like this cartridge but don't have the money currently to ante up for the buy in. However now that it's a SAAMI spec cartridge prices should start coming down on the rounds themselves and also barrels and bolts.
edit on 2-12-2011 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join