It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel apologizes over strip search of pregnant New York Times photographer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Well, lets direct her to the right American airports for a good TSA fondling

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I don't think that they would be apologizing another pregnant photographer scanned by X-ray , unless she should be American.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Does this sort of thing not happen in the USA? With people being forced to go through X-Ray machines? So what is the difference, with this being Israel? Anti - Israeli Rhetoric. One does wonder.

And those stories get posted here and discussed as well. What exactly is "anti-Israel" in the OP? The fact that he linked to a story in which ISRAEL apologizes for the wrongful treatment?

Honestly, with some of the people here just using the world "Israel" puts them into attack mode.

Israel apologized. People usually don't apologize if you did nothing wrong.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The defense ministry has “decided to hone the procedure for foreign journalists,” it said.

Really? So journalists should be treated "differently?"

Why? Because they have the ear of the press?

It makes you wonder how much longer it will be before the evidence of multiple standards makes it impossible to pretend that there's those the establishment respects, those they are forced to respect, and the rest of us cattle.

This isn't about Israel. It's about the blatant disregard for human dignity, by those with the magic "terrorist" word in their pockets. Soon the punishment for asking to not be x-rayed will be to get x-rayed 3 times and then strip-searched.... unless your with the press....

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Talk is cheap. We should withdraw a few billion dollars of their "foreign aid" in the way of a fine.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Laurauk

Israel apologized. People usually don't apologize if you did nothing wrong.

I wonder if she got an apology from the Libyans that held her for 6 days?

As a couple of other people have posted, to walk around Gaza @ 7 months pregnant - no matter who is doing the shooting - is the height of pre-natal neglect.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I hate to point this out in what will surely be an unpopular observation....but the fighters of Al Qaeda have performed high level assassinations using killers posing as journalists and specifically using that position to get places they otherwise couldn't and without security checks they otherwise would have to endure.

The kill that comes to mind first was General Ahmad Shah Massoud. Murdering him two days before 9/11 probably had a great deal to do with the chaos and general boondoggle Afghanistan became in the aftermath of the attacks. He was the odds on favorite before his death to lead that nation into a much better future...if he'd lived to be showered with material support as the surviving Northern Alliance battlefield commanders were. He was blown to pieces by a crew posing as journalists and hiding a bomb inside the camera.

On September 9, 2001, two days before the September 11 attacks in the United States, Massoud was assassinated in Takhar Province of Afghanistan by two suspected Arab al-Qaeda suicide bombers posing as journalists. The following year, he was named "National Hero" by the order of Afghan President Hamid Karzai. The date of his death, September 9, is observed as a national holiday known as "Massoud Day" in Afghanistan.[3] The year following his assassination, in 2002, Massoud was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Source

What was this reporter thinking and why is anyone surprised?? She is coming out of a terrorist stronghold on the eve of a major regional shooting war for the very survival of the nation she's entering. Knowing all this, she chooses to stand out from the rest by declaring herself to be a journalist, pregnant and thus....deserving of special treatment. Well, she got it alright. Perhaps NOT working to stand out when going through a military checkpoint during almost war-time conditions might be a great thing to follow in the future, eh?

Special treatment isn't always special in a positive way....as she just learned in a rather hard way. Asking for such treatment can definitely work out differently than one would like.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is a hollow apology words only. A true apology would have resulted in disciplining the workers involved in their abuse of power. No disciplinary action no apology. To put a baby through an X-ray machine 3 times demonstrates a clear desire to harm the baby. Those who think harming children is ok should face the full wrath of all decent people anywhere.. Shame Shame Shame This kind of abuse of power is the exact reason why these dangerous devices should be mothballed.

Every single report I have read infavour of these from "officials talks about there being less electromagnetic energy than a cell phone". Sorry and X-ray is a different wave band. Every time I have had an x-ray I have had to wear a lead skirt over my genitals not safe. These arrogant sadists should be sacked named and shamed internationally and ordered to do community service.
edit on 29-11-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Well, lets direct her to the right American airports for a good TSA fondling

Whine about the TSA all you want. Now show some proof of them forcing a pregnant woman through a x-ray machine three times and then strip searching her. An apology from them doesn't cover the way she was humiliated. These Nazi scumbags should be behind bars.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Have you seen the youtube videos of TSA agents borderline molesting kids?

I think this is disgusting and both Israel (or the soldiers involved) and the TSA are on the same level

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
1. What the hell is she doing on assignment in that region of the World when she's pregnant?

2. Where are her protest letters about the TSA and their rape stations in America? Or is it ok here to touch and assault seniors and children as well as pregnant women?

I see this as 100% hype and 101% BS.

Anyone getting angry over this should go back about 6 Months and read the posts about the TSA in America first. And then ask why she didn't say anything about them.

Also, why are people all of a sudden getting angry? Are you angry about an American woman subject to such an atrocity? What about the thousands of woman coming over to the US that get the same treatment? Are they getting the same headlines? No.

This is a little tweak on the sympathy nerve to keep the US riled up. "How dare they touch one of our poor defenseless women!!!!!!"

Wow...

edit on 29-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
i heard that she wasnt going to take any Mat leave and was just going to bundle her baby up in a carrier and take it for a tour of Syria. but dont worry about the babys safety, she already pre-wrote a request to not have the baby go through the xray scanners.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Well I think that many, not all, Israelis are scum. The IDF is comprised of three former terrorist groups: Stern, Leahy and Irgun. One of the terrorist leaders, Menachem Begin, actually went on to become the Prime Minister of Israel.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

The mention of the words Israel, Jew, Muslim or Islam seem to send people over the edge.

It would be nice if people could just see past their own biases so we can have a mature discussion without name calling and insults.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Don't forget - from the New York Times and coming from Gaza. I'd say it's a tossup if it even happened and if it did, she may have done things to cause it.

If there is a newspaper that cannot be trusted, it is the New York Times. They don't fire people who lie in articles even though many have been exposed and they never correct the record when it's proven false. Anyone unethical enough to work for them is unethical enough to fabricate this.

I'll view this with a heavy dose of skepticism. Logic dictates that.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
HA. She is worried about x-rays harming her baby, yet she goes strolling around through Gaza.

I guess you need to be a photojournalist to understand...
Besides with her experience she probably has a fair grasp of do´s and dont´s in conflict zones. Check out her webpage, very strong material.. www.lynseyaddario.com...

I guess prmitive soldiers will be found in all nations. Has nothing to do with israel as a nation.
Horrible story, sure hope the baby is ok!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Don't forget - from the New York Times and coming from Gaza. I'd say it's a tossup if it even happened and if it did, she may have done things to cause it.

If there is a newspaper that cannot be trusted, it is the New York Times. They don't fire people who lie in articles even though many have been exposed and they never correct the record when it's proven false. Anyone unethical enough to work for them is unethical enough to fabricate this.

So, are you suggesting that Lynsey is an unethical photographer who had it coming?
Care to elaborate?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomra

Originally posted by Blaine91555

So, are you suggesting that Lynsey is an unethical photographer who had it coming?
Care to elaborate?

I never said anything of the kind? What I'm clearly stating is that the New York Times is highly biased and covers up for and supports propaganda spread by it's people which is easily demonstrable. There is always a chance where they are concerned that a story like this could be a complete fabrication. It could also be true.

Even if true it only speaks to the individuals involved, however dishonest and bigoted individuals will try and use it as if the entire Jewish community were involved, which is just more dishonesty and propaganda.

I should add it's sad that I even have to think this way. The NYT was once a great newspaper. Now its just another propaganda rag.
edit on 11/29/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'll give the Israelis credit; at least they apologized when they humiliated someone in an airport. The TSA does it and I doubt they say sorry.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
reply to post by Laurauk

Really?? So you compare the TSA agents with these scum soldiers?
Did you read the part where she said she has been around the world and never experienced
something so humiliated ??

Actually I think the comparison is fair. Our Politicians have very proudly stated that our TSA is based on the Israeli model. So take a good hard long look at the model and tell me...how long do you think it will be before a story like this is comes out about the TSA? I would suggest that we could expect to see a story like this about the TSA at any time at all.

For those who keep bringing up her being in Gaza while pregnant, that is not very fair at all. Considering in March this women was in Libya and captured, I would think it is fair to assume that at this point in time she is early in her pregnancy. Most women do not stop working or even change habits much early on. There are many factors which could come into play here, the women is a journalist. So I think it is quiet unfair to judge her being in Gaza and reading into it.

I also disagree that the only reason we are hearing about this is because it was done by Israel. I would think the reason why we are hearing about this, and I suspect it happens every single day to the average person, is because this women is a Pulitzer Prize winning photographer for one of the largest media venues on the globe. So not only is she someone, she also has a platform to bringing the subject to light.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join