It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Trip Back To July, 1952, For Those Who Say UFO's/ET Are Not real

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I've seen a couple threads of late saying there is no evidence of UFO's or ET. Just wanted to refresh a few minds about what occurred during July, of 1952.

Front Page News

Military secrecy veils an investigation of the mysterious, glowing aerial objects that showed up on radar screens in the Washington area Saturday night for the second consecutive week. A jet pilot sent up by the Air Defense Command to investigate the objects reported he was unable to overtake the glowing lights moving near Andrews Air Force Base.

The CAA reported reported the objects traveled at "predominantly lower levels"-about 1700 feet. July 19. Air Force spokesmen said yesterday only that an investigation was being made into the sighting of the objects on the radar screen in the CAA Air Route Traffic Control Center at Washington National Airport, and on two other radar screens . Methods of the investigations were classified as secret, a spoken said. " We have no evidence they are flying saucers; conversely we have no evidence they are not flying saucers. We don't know what they are," a spokesman added. The same source reported an expert from the Air Technical Intelligence Center at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton Ohio, was here last week investigating the objects sighted July 19. The expert has been identified as Capt. E. J. Ruppelt. Reached by telephone at his home in Dayton yesterday, Ruppelt said he could make no comment on his activity in Washington. Capt. Ruppelt confirmed he was in Washington last week but said he had not come here to investigate the mysterious objects. He recalled he did make an investigation after hearing of the objects, but could not say what he investigated.

Another Air Force spokesman said here yesterday the Air Force is taking all steps necessary to evaluate the sightings. "The intelligence people," this spokesman explained, "sent someone over to the control center at the time of the sightings and did whatever necessary to make the proper evaluation. Asked whether the radar equipment might have been mis-functioning, the spokesman said, "radar, like the compass is not a perfect instrument and is subject to error." He thought, however,the investigation would be made by persons acquainted with the problems of radar. Two other radar screens in the area picked up the objects.An employee of the National Airport control tower said the radar scope there picked up very weak "blips" of the objects. The tower radar's for "short range" and is not so powerful as that at the center. Radar at Andrews Air Force Base also registered the objects from about seven miles south of the base. A traffic control center spokesman said the nature of the signals on the radar screen ruled out any possibility they were from clouds or any other "weather" disturbance. "The returns we received from the unidentified objects were similar and analagous to targets representing aircraft in flight," he said.

The objects, "flying saucer or what have you, appeared on the radar scope at the airport center at 9:08 PM. Varying from 4 to 12 in number,the objects appeared on the screen until 3:00 AM., when they diappeared. AT 11:25 PM., two F-94 jet fighters fro Air Defense Command squadron, at New CAstle Delaware, capable of 600 hundred mph speeds, took off to investigate the objects. Airline, civil and military pilots described the objects as looking like the lit end of a cigarette or a cluster of orange and red lights. One jet pilot observed 4 lights in the vicinity of Andrews Air Force Base, but was not able to over-take them, and they disappeared in about two minutes. The same pilot observed a steady white light in the vicinity of Mt Vernon at 11:49 PM. The light, about 5 miles from him, faded in a minute. The lights were also observed in the Beltsville, MD., vicinity. At 1:40 AM two-other F-94 jet fighters took off and scanned the area until 2:20 AM., but did not make any sightings. Visible Two Ways Although "unidentified objects" have been picked up on radar before, the incidents of the last two saturdays are believed to be the first time the objects have been picked up on radar-while visible to the human eye Besides the pilots, who last saturday saw the lights, a woman living on Mississippi Ave., told the Post she saw a very "bright light streaking across the sky towards Andrews Air Force Base about 11:45 PM. Then a second object with a tail like a comet whizzed by, and a few seconds later, a third passed in a different direction toward Suntland, she said. Radar operators plotted the speed of "saturday night's visitors" at from 38 to 90 mph, but one jet pilot reported faster speeds for the light he saw. The jet pilot reported he had no apparent "closing speed" when he attempted to reach the lights he saw near Andrews Air Force Base. That means the lights were moving atleast as fast as his top speed-a maximum of 600 mph.

One person who saw the lights when they first appeared in this area did not see them last night. He is E.W. Chambers, an engineer at Radio Station WRC, who spotted the lights while working early the morning of July 20 at station's Hyattsville tower. Chamber's said he was sorry he had seen the lights because he had been skeptical about "flying saucers" before. Now he said, he sort of "wonders" and worrys about the whole thing. Leon Davidson, 804 South Irving St. Arlington, a chemical engineer who made an exhaustive study of "flying saucers' as a hobby, said yesterday reports of saucers in the East, have been relatively rare. Davidson has studied the official report on the saucers, including some of the secret portions never made public, and analyzed all the data in the report. Davidson, whose study of saucers is impressively detailed and scientific, said he believes the lights are American "aviation products"-probably "circular flying wings," using new type jet engines that permit rapid acceleration and relatively low speeds. He believes, they are either "new fighter," guided missiles, or piloted guided missiles. He cited some of the recent jet fighters, including the Navy's new " F-4-D, which has a radical "bat-wing," as examples of what the objects might resemble. Davidson thinks the fact that the lights have been seen in this area indicates the authorities may be ready to disclose the "new aircraft" in the near future. Previously, most of the "verified saucers" have been seen over sparsely inhabited areas, Davidson explained, and now, when they appear here, it may indicate that "secrecy" is not so important any more. _____

Harry Truman

Diagram of the UFOs tracked by Washington's National Airport radar scope on July 20, 1952. At A, 7 objects approach the Nation's capital from the south. At B, some are seen over the White House and Capitol. At C, they appear over Andrews Air Force Base. At D, one UFO tracks an airliner. At E, one is seen to make a sharp right-angular turn.

Some clippings. Some are not great quality, at all. Sorry.

[img]http://www.roswellproof.com/Albuquerque_Journal_1952-07-30-16s_Keyhoe_on_shootdown.

edit on 28-11-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

edit on 7.27.2016 by Kandinsky because: Updated the YT video because the original one was a dead link

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Not a whole lot here. It's tough to dig this stuff up. Most doesn't exist in archives anymore. But in July of 52, this stuff was all over every newspaper and media outlet in the country. Military, law enforcement, and politicians all the way up to President Truman were commenting publicly. Just hope a few out there, who say there is zero evidence, will give some of this a look, and consider it.

Kind of amazes me how some act as if this, and Roswell, never happened. Nevermind all the other unexplained events which have occurred through out history.
edit on 28-11-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You have done well to put an informative thread together.

I am a believer so you don't have to convince me.
Just remember that an Intergalactic Craft could land on a persons front yard and they would tell you it's just a new type of fire truck. Another person might step around it and pretend it was not there.

For some people there is never any evidence that is credible or good enough for their belief system.

Fabulous thread - good for you.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Don't forget about 1942, that was another "weather balloon" that just refused to be shot down!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I read a lot in the news that is fabricated, untrue or full of mistruths and propaganda....why in 1952 would it be any different???

Remember..this was just 3 months after pearl harbor....the 1942 one

edit on 28-11-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-11-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Nazi's and Alien technology? It sounds like you've seen Captain America's new movie too
(Its a great movie btw folks)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Great post OP. Where did you get the transcript from the article? Would love to have a source for that.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I clicked the link to the first image expecting to see a picture of the pilot. My first thought was: "Good Lord, that pilot sure looks a lot like Richard Nixon!"

I'm not quite old enough to remember this directly (born in 1950); but I have heard this story many times, and it is a good one--especially considering that in those days it was fairly routine for newspapers to report "flying saucers." Actually, now that I think about it, in 1952 there was something of a worldwide UFO flap. (I remember it from my childhood as the Tyler, Texas UFO flap, as we were living in Tyler in 1952 and my parents mentioned it many times.) Check this out:

The Amazing Texas UFO Flap of 1952

...In America just about every state in the union experienced UFO sightings. No doubt that authorities tried to keep these events from being widely publicized or from being connected together by broadcasters. Sensationalism was still a factor, though, even on a managed scale. With Project Bluebook in full swing investigators could not get a handle on the phenomenon and were overwhelmed.

The great state of Texas was witness to a concentrated stream of bizarre aerial sightings that stretched across the entire geographic region and involved all major cities, and Air Force bases as well. Many sightings were also reported in a great number of smaller towns too. Even with perhaps the largest number of reported unknown aerial phenomena in the US, Texas sightings were simply overshadowed by what was happening elsewhere, and how the press corps chose to prioritize its broadcasts to the public.

UFO sightings began in Texas prior to the headline gripping events over Washington DC on January 9. On that day a unknown flying disk caused radio interference as it was seen circling the town of Kerrville, Texas. A roaring type of distortion was heard over the radio waves....

Anywho... Sorry to hijack your thread, OP. It just got me thinking. Thanks for bringing this here.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here's a doc from Gerald Ford.

Large Image

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
No UFOs, it was clearly the planet Venus. Great thread, the older cases are very interesting to me. I wonder if modern weapons have stopped a lot of UFOs from flying around all Willy nilly like the good old days.
edit on 28-11-2011 by FoxMulder007 because: /

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
A pilot told me many years ago that before the 1952 incidents in Washington, D.C. every FBO (the section of an airport for private planes) had a notice posted for pilots to avoid UFOs but they were taken down after the big press conference that quieted the press.

By the way, the objects in that picture of the Capitol when seen in the uncropped version of that photo can easily be recognized as lens flares. I noticed the same effect in a TV drama recently, where the same lens flares were off the right and not pawned off as UFOs. But, yes, the official explanation is nonsense. So say the radar operators and the U.S, Weather Bureau.

S&F.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
i was only 4 YO at the time.../

listening to news radio all day long...as i was learning English & was from Germany

my Mother, a devout Catholic...said the UFOs over DC were Devils/Demons/Evil Entities...
but not Aliens from outer space

my father 'by Adoption' had nothing to say about the UFO flap at DC..
.he was a realist (i think)...but he died that year from a heart attack...so any issue was 'shelved'

i knew..at 4 years old...that i had way different ideas about the world & living...than the dominant 'mother' figure of the house/family...i knew--even back then, that Aliens were a reality in the world

for many years... i would tell of the UFO encounters over DC...but the 'normal' people in school would say i was crazy---that nothing like that ever happened... but i insisted that UFO sightings over the Capital were Fact !
finally I gave up trying to educate the blind sheeple'

i seen & read the newspaper accounts...even in Grand Haven, Michigan... in July of 1952... it left a deep impression on me...

edit on 29-11-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

You do know that Gerald Ford was a Congressman that lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan... even back in '52... i remember his house that was on a Lake Front Street as we drove past his place in the city back in '54 (or so)

on our way to Pennsylvania, via W,Va/Ohio & other Relatives.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I bet the guys in charge of that cover-up had some explaining to do.

Heres the interceptors they sent up, i believed they were the version that carried the A2A rockets. Did they really expect to hit something with those?
F-94 StarFire

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Yeah. Those were good ol' early days of UFOs. Heck, even Carl Sagan was into the show before he learned being on the other side was far more lucrative.. As a college student,he sent a letter on August 3, 1952 to then Secretary of the State Dean Acheson asking "whether the US had plans to communicate with the aliens and/or to pool defenses against 'the common enemy.'" (See William Poundstone's bio of "Carl Sagan.")

The future is not what you think and neither is some of the past.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
No one denies the UFOs exist...there are an abundance of reports of Unidentified Flying Objects.

The OP mentions, as do most ET believers, UFOs and ETs in the same breath as if one sustantiates the other. They Don't.

I can even consider that so-called "grays" truely exist. That they exist, does not imply that the are ETs. They indeed could just as easily be ED's.

The simple truth is this...to prove the eistance of ETs would require a well documented visit to ET's world by humans. Not a likely near-time event.

The items presented in this thread provide nothing to even come close to extablishing an ET presence.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
In 1950 Harry Truman said

“I can assure you the flying saucers, given that they exist, are not constructed by any power on Earth.”

and I believe it was President Reagan that said something to the effect of "Can you imagine the chaos if the governments admitted that UFO's are real" (I'm quoting from memory so I'm probably just kind of close)

Even US presidents throughout history have hinted at the reality or belief of extraterrestrial life, JFK, Carter.

I think we'll all know soon enough.

Love the old clips and photos !

and to romanmel...

They indeed could just as easily be ED's

absolutely, good point.
edit on 29-11-2011 by horseplay because: romanmel

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Mercury and Gemini Astronaut Gordon Cooper was one of my heroes as a kid growing up in the 1960's describes his UFO encounters over Europe whilst piloting F-86 Sabre Jets there in 1951.

He even attempted to get the UN involved in having the US Govt. opening up to the existence of ET's.

The Government's response was Project Blue Book.....all/most UFO's are attributed and explained as being swamp gas.

OK Dokey !

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'm behind romanmel 100%. There is an awful lot of evidence behind Unidentified Flying Objects as well as no evidence what so ever of anything of being Extra Terrestrial in origin. Sci-fi was big and always has been in the U.S.
especially during the 1950's. Seeing lights in the sky would be ET most assuredly in the perspective of folks at that time. This Earth we call home holds a plethora of mysteries all it's own. Extra Terrestrial is not even necessary in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Obviously it was chinese lanterns....

Everyone on ats knows every ufo is a chinese lantern

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

Like this one

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join