It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think before you enter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I have read several places in here and in other forums and sights about people just heading to the hills...
If the land isn't government land or yours... your tresspassing...that might get you into trouble...maybe more trouble than you think.

I know your all billy bob badasses here and can make rambo seem like a school girl...so just keep what I said in mind.
You talk about going to the mountains or getting out to the woods to ride out whatever you are running from.
When roads are grid locked and bridges are out...you need to get across..well someone more than likely owns that land...if its as bad as your writing in these forums, you will be in trouble.
For those that say they would shoot a cow in the field for food...thats stealing and you better not get caught doing that...because it might be a survivalist renewable food supply that your tapping into...plus its not your cow...so becareful!!!!
If you arent at your location for the SHTF...you might just wanna hang out for awhile if you can...because the trip there might not be worth the trouble....because chances are...someone else already got there before you and all you have is thats on your back.

I say this because most people work, so what if your at your job? on the road? away from your location? away from the majority of your preps? Then what? your BOB will hopefully get you back to it...or to a safe location...what about your family? Do you need to go get your kids? wife? Then what? You will not be ahead of the masses then and you will get caught up with the sheep and be stuck...or even a target since you have a truck loaded with supplies and a trailer thats over flowing with gear and food...so the people that don't have will soon have with your donation to them...either by you giving it freely ...or them just taking....Seriously...think about it!!!

I hope this opens the eyes of atleast 1 person out there and helps them to be better prepared for the future.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

If an event strikes and you are on one side of the country but your family is on the other side how long will it take for you to get back home? You may never see them again. Low probability/high impact.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jcord

True..if thats the case, your better off to just deal with life where you are and do what you can for you to survive...hopefully that doesn't happen to you though.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Every once in awhile I'll come in here and mention that skills and knowledge are more important than stockpiles of supplies. You raised a good point, most preppers, regardless of how prepared they are for a situation, will still be just as stuck as everyone else. You simply can't prep for a traffic gridlock that limit's your mobility to your bug out location. Attempting to travel with your supplies on the main roads is just begging to be attacked by desperate people.

Personally, I'm practicing primitive skills and getting better at it everyday. Learning what wild foods I can eat and where and what seasons they grow. How to hunt, fish and trap. I also plan on traveling between cities using power line roads/utility roads, whatever they're called... I see them intersecting streets all the time and one day I realized most people wouldn't even consider walking/driving down them to get around.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Heh. No one here is going to ever enter this situation nor use their carefully prepared bug out bag anyway. Sure, use it for a camping trip or something but living life as if one of these days you're going to be heading for the hills as the world burns in some sort of apocalyptic end... Well what kind of life is that? Fantasy.

If you're a man, you stand your ground where you are. Bugging out is for the weak. Preparedness is in the mind and body. Not equipment.

Not to offend anyone. By all means. Pack your bags.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Think before you write ....

And Yes you can prepare for traffic gridlock by having several alternative routes on side or back roads etc and caches along the way in case you cannot take all your stuff or loose some of it.

Most of the people who would try to take your stuff will do it out of desperation and have no preps or plans. Someone who has been preparing for years for different scenarios will have the advantage. Sure some yayhoo could get lucky but better to have a plan and execute it then just be part of the sheeple most of which are oblivious to what's going on and how fragile society is and the need to prepare just in case.

And to whoever said living your life this way is no way to live or however you phrased it has been watching to many TV programs stereo typing survivalist etc.. Do you have Insurance on your car? Why then you must drive all the time in grave fear of having an accident why that is no way to live... Sigh!

Prepping is just another form of insurance it actually lets one live thier life more relaxed in knowing they have done what they can to protect their families just in case.

edit on 29-11-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
I have read several places in here and in other forums and sights about people just heading to the hills...
If the land isn't government land or yours... your tresspassing...that might get you into trouble...maybe more trouble than you think.

I know your all billy bob badasses here and can make rambo seem like a school girl...so just keep what I said in mind.
You talk about going to the mountains or getting out to the woods to ride out whatever you are running from.
When roads are grid locked and bridges are out...you need to get across..well someone more than likely owns that land...if its as bad as your writing in these forums, you will be in trouble.
For those that say they would shoot a cow in the field for food...thats stealing and you better not get caught doing that...because it might be a survivalist renewable food supply that your tapping into...plus its not your cow...so becareful!!!!
If you arent at your location for the SHTF...you might just wanna hang out for awhile if you can...because the trip there might not be worth the trouble....because chances are...someone else already got there before you and all you have is thats on your back.

I say this because most people work, so what if your at your job? on the road? away from your location? away from the majority of your preps? Then what? your BOB will hopefully get you back to it...or to a safe location...what about your family? Do you need to go get your kids? wife? Then what? You will not be ahead of the masses then and you will get caught up with the sheep and be stuck...or even a target since you have a truck loaded with supplies and a trailer thats over flowing with gear and food...so the people that don't have will soon have with your donation to them...either by you giving it freely ...or them just taking....Seriously...think about it!!!

I hope this opens the eyes of atleast 1 person out there and helps them to be better prepared for the future.

I personally would stay home as long as I could, lets face it, we have food there, fences and security measures already in place. Only in the event of the house being damaged beyond being liveable or overrun would I consider leaving. I have to laugh at all these people that will "head for the hills" when TSHTF. Seems like the hills would be one crowded place...

In all seriousness though, if I had to find another place, my local supermarket would be the first place I would look to go.
-Three storey high 4 inch concrete walls with little to no windows.
-All the food you could possibly want, along with the means to cook it.
-Bedding, such as quilts, pillows, etc.
-Most supermarkets are in malls with sports stores, ie; weapons.
-Access to the roof to fend off whatever may come along, with a very high vantage point.
-Most supermarkets have generator backup that will run essentials

But in all reality this is a last case scenario, one where lawlessness has taken over, and we need to break laws simply in order to survive.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Gee no one else would think of going to the super market or the mall to get all that food and weapons etc.

We know what happens to super markets in disasters and crisis they shelves a bare in less then 24 hours...

Next not thought out plan....

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Gee no one else would think of going to the super market or the mall to get all that food and weapons etc.

We know what happens to super markets in disasters and crisis they shelves a bare in less then 24 hours...

Next not thought out plan....

"Last case scenario."

Maybe you should read the whole post next time...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

What part of the post do you think I didn't read? Doesn't matter if it's end of the world or just hurricane the shelves are bare in less the 24 hours which makes your plan completely moot. Those generators are huge and only have fuel for a few days at best. Like I said next plan....

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Think before you write ....

And Yes you can prepare for traffic gridlock by having several alternative routes on side or back roads etc and caches along the way in case you cannot take all your stuff or loose some of it.

Most of the people who would try to take your stuff will do it out of desperation and have no preps or plans. Someone who has been preparing for years for different scenarios will have the advantage. Sure some yayhoo could get lucky but better to have a plan and execute it then just be part of the sheeple most of which are oblivious to what's going on and how fragile society is and the need to prepare just in case.

And to whoever said living your life this way is no way to live or however you phrased it has been watching to many TV programs stereo typing survivalist etc.. Do you have Insurance on your car? Why then you must drive all the time in grave fear of having an accident why that is no way to live... Sigh!

Prepping is just another form of insurance it actually lets one live thier life more relaxed in knowing they have done what they can to protect their families just in case.

edit on 29-11-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

I don't drive in fear, I live my life...I am just bringing up the point of if you think you can take what you want and go where you want, you might be rethinking that if the senerio plays out like many here are dreaming of.
The ones that say you live in fear are the ones doing that...you should live your life and enjoy it...the fact that your on here says your aware that things arent great and that you realize that life can drastically change quickly for you and others...

For those that bury or hide supplies along the way..ok..do you own the land they are on? how do you know it will be there when you need it? You think your the first to think of hiding something there? Can you live/survive if its not there when you need it?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

But in all reality this is a last case scenario, one where lawlessness has taken over, and we need to break laws simply in order to survive.

If your going to malls and super markets after it has gotten that bad...you better have a lot of others with you, since it will already be picked over and in ruin...if you don't think so...jackasses are doing flash mobs now...to get what they want...just think what it will be like if everyone is wanting the same things at the same times...
ever see a store if a huge winter storm is coming? multiply that by 1000...

This is just my .02 cents, if the shoe fits, please rethink your plans...Just tring to help...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

All of this is place dependent of course. Anyone that has been planning for scenarios will have alternate routes. While it is true some will head for the hills. It is scenario driven and you start and finish with none. If it is a 200 foot wave coming to claim your town. You need to get out.

Different scenario's call for different answers. A survivalist is not Rambo. In general within these chats I have noticed very few who are serious minded claiming they would go out shooting up the countryside. Most have several routes preplanned. If one road is gridlocked then they have others to try. If one treasure trove of equipment is inaccesible they have others. If it is a situation where they feel better staying in they will. They don't suddenly panic and run about with their heads cut off.

That being said most of us who do plan ahead hope we never have to find out if we can do it. But with any situation we hope that if it does happen we are ready. I live in California, I would be pretty stupid to not have a EQ kit ready. If I am at work when it happens well then My family will have a water and food and other essential should I not make it back home. I will do my best to make it to them, Most certainly it might not be the easiest thing how could I not try?

It is allot like having insurance on you car or house. I don't get it hoping it will be needed I get just incase something I can't control happens. If another driver hits me or somebodies kid breaks his leg in my yard. You do bring up a good point. Provided the situation demand you leave your house and you need to bug out. You shouldn't randomly shoot some cow you find, Nor should you blindly walk onto someone else property. But these things are common sense. If you smart you do all you can to watch out for other people. If you must cross someones farm, You do what you can to scout it first. Sometimes events dictate what you must do. Sometimes you will run across an open field when the other options are not there. But that's the key point. You start with a broad topic and then selectively decide what people will do.

You generalize it, You state you have seen it in several posts then you post a OP instead of just addressing those you have seen making such comments. Personally I know what I would do in several different situations. AM I ready for each? I hope I am should it happen, More so I hope I don't have to find out. How do I know someone is not already in the spot in the Hills? Until I am forced to go there I don't know With so many billion people around the globe chances are one or more may get there before me. I can't just not prepare because there is a chance Someone beat me there. That's like refusing to bathe cus your just going to be dirty later anyways.. Heck I ate already why not just sit at the table and wait.. I will be hungry again later..

Allot of people tend to think Survivalist are negative thinking the world is going to end. This just isn't true we are very positive. We hope it won't but we darn sure plan on being ready if it does. Science says eventually a comet will hit us. It is not a question of IF, It is a question of when. Most those same brains say we will then follow the dinosaurs. SO no planning will save us, Should we go ahead and just die now?. California and EQ's go hand in hand. Been through at least 3 6.0's or bigger in my life. There will be another one eventually should I just give up now knowing this? When I was 12 we had a twister near my home here in California. Chances are that it may happen again. Isn't it just smarter to be prepared for it as opposed to just giving up?

Therian

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

No one here is going to ever enter this situation nor use their carefully prepared bug out bag anyway.

For those that did not take precautions, I am sure the victims of Katrina and Fukashima may have another outlook about being prepared. For those that were prepared, I am sure they are glad they packed up a few things that was ready to go.
edit on 29-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Therian

I agree with you with everything you posted, I didn't put the names down because I am not singling out anyone, I just want to hopefully give them things to think about...that they could of easily over looked.
There are thousands of SHTF possibilities for us all...3 big ones, one after another in Japan...EQ, Sunami, and nuke melt down...
We cannot prep for everything, you can't always stay put, you might need/want to leave...thats all a personal choice that will be made when it happens.
If your across the country, yes I would try to get to my family, but like you said common sence will need to be used...if you go off half cocked you could easily worsen you position/chances of success.

We are on the same page, I could of listed SHTF events, but you can what if this all to death.
Your best weapon and tool is your mind, if you know how to do it and have practiced it, you'll be way better off than others.
I have been in 2 major floods this year, a house I completely remodeled was destroyed and had water up to the shingles and gutters on the Missouri River. I also was in PA when the susquahanna flooded and they evacuated thousands of people, FEMA was here, national guard...I left the area, with 2 bags...I have been back to both since they happened. That isn't a SHTF really for me, I have insurance.

There are tons of things that happen to people everyday that they say are SHTF, for me to really say it is a SHTF, it would be a change to the world, life that I know, where i could never have what I have now again, due to major events happening...places being wiped off the map forever...massive death and destruction...until then..its just life and you live it.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Have fun standing your ground in any one of dozens of situations where that will kill you. I live in New England and I know a good number of people who tend to think like you that were completely SOL when their houses went underwater thanks to flooding rivers. A friend I know who lives out in Southern California lost his home (he was renting, but even so) to forest fires a while back. What's to say something like those minor little disasters comes along, they aren't that rare after all, what are you going to do then tough guy?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

For those that bury or hide supplies along the way..ok..do you own the land they are on? how do you know it will be there when you need it? You think your the first to think of hiding something there? Can you live/survive if its not there when you need it?

There are no guarantees in life. Do you have car insurance? If so why? Because insurance companies deny claims all the time even though you paid your money. Having caches is no guarantee they will be there that is why you have more then one in different locations and try to carry as much as you can with you have alternative routes mapped out ahead of time etc etc. that is why it is called prepping. and they are on public land.

I always get a kick out of people who have never prepped a day in thier lives imagining all kinds of reasons why it won't work to justify thier laziness and have no clue what they will do if it ever does happen. Good luck being one of the hoard or trying to avoid them. Preppers sleep a little easier knowing they at least have a 99% better chance at surviving because they have prepared for it then all the oblivious sheeple.

Oh and good preparation always takes into account you may have to make a stand where you are even if you have a bug out location. And one more thing the people claming they will just head for the hills are not preppers they are just more sheeple who have not really thought things through. Real preppers who plan on leaving have a retreat prepared to go to and if they find someone squatting there are prepared to take the place back by force if necessary, others are prepared to make a stand where they are and usually have a group who will look out for each other.

So if you think prepping will not work and is waste of time good for you hope things work out for you but please spare us the lectures on why we should not prepare as best we can for what ever may happen. As the saying goes prepare for the worst and hope for the best and get on with your life.

Oh and make sure you keep paying those insurance premiums...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Well my previous comment came off a bit harsh and figured it would incite a response like this. Allow me to revise my stance. I am all for preparedness for natural/man made disasters, which indeed can and do happen anywhere, which of course includes having some basic supplies on hand to last awhile.

There's nothing wrong with a well put together 'bug out bag', being in good physical shape and maybe even having some training under your belt. However I think there should be a line drawn where one might be preparing a bit much. For example, if a large portion of one's income is going into hoarding supplies in the name of survival preparedness, or if one frequently thinks about TSHTF they might fit this category of going too far in my opinion and that's really what my original response was directed at.

I should have said that I'd recommend one stands their ground and remains where they are to the best of their ability for as long as they feasibly can in disaster situations, generally speaking. Your Government would recommend this as well unless there happened to be adequate forewarning to allow for evacuations, gridlocking all the motorways can really hinder emergency response teams from doing their job when they are most needed.

Other than that, I meant what I said - By all means, pack a good bag and be ready for whatever, but I do also agree with what the OP said.

Keep in mind, too, that we cannot control everything, nor prevent everything from happening to us. There could have been people whose homes were washed away in the Japan tsunami that were very much prepared, generally speaking, but in the end mother nature had the last word there.

As for what I would do? Well if things got that bad, probably fuel up the black chopper on my roof and relocate to a safer location.

To Hawkiye - Yes, my car is insured and let me tell you what, it's highway robbery and I hate it! Even if my driving record is pretty good
But seriously, point duly noted.

new topics

top topics

join