It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new purpose Wi-Fi...Get rid of your reproduction capability...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well, I am past my days for having kids, but if you are young, you may want to take a look at this...If you use a Wi-Fi enabled laptop, sperm count maybe getting lower as we type here...

In a report in the venerable medical journal Fertility and Sterility, Argentinian scientists describe how they got semen samples from 29 healthy men, placed a few drops under a laptop connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi and then hit download.

Four hours later, the semen was, eh, well-done.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

How long does sperm last outside without being subjected to Wi-Fi?

edit on 11/28/2011 by jeichelberg because: Misspelled title for thread

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Looks like I need to start using my laptop more often. I already pay for internet, why pay for birth control too?!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveWx3
Looks like I need to start using my laptop more often. I already pay for internet, why pay for birth control too?!

lol yes buddy took the words outta my mouth :p

laptops killing sperm through wifi not surprised , makes sense electromagentic radiation all of your mini generals would nuke em . They so small and fragile . open air kills them lol

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Is it the wi-fi or the heat?

I have heard that men especially should not sit laptops on their laps due to the heat damaging the testes.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

The article does say the heat is a concern...but the more general concern is the EM radiation...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Interesting study, but it seems to me that if you have semen on your laptop, you have other issues going on.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

You avatar looks like Jerry Seinfeld in the episode where he was playing chess against himself...one with the brain hat and the other with Army Helmet...The Army Helmet lost...LOL!!!

Yes...you could keep things pretty busy if the laptop causes that kind of reaction...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Our data suggest that the use of a laptop computer wirelessly connected to the internet and positioned near the male reproductive organs may decrease human sperm quality," they write in their report.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

What if it's not connected to the internet? Is it ok if you're just on a local network?

Give me a break. 35 milliwatts? That's about what a laptop transmitter puts out.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm a research scientist in microbiology, so I'm going to read the actual published study and critique it. However my first impression is that the study is very poorly designed.

Think about it. Even if you sit your lap-top on your lap while using it, there will be clothes, hair (well, maybe not for some
), skin, and other flesh in between the radiation source and your little soldiers. All of these factors would soak up radiation and potentially significantly decrease the amount of radiation that actually reaches the sperm. Compare this to the study where the sperm are left "naked" with no barriers between them and the radiation source.
Also, as the distance between the radiation source and the sperm increases the radiation levels will decrease. I don't know the equation, but it is probably true that even small increases in the distance between the radiation source and the sperm will significantly lower the quantity of radiation reaching the nethers.

They mentioned a decrease in motility and an increase in DNA damage, but they didn't mention if they are both present in the same sperm (not in the news article anyway). Non motile sperm will result in decreased fertility, but the DNA damage is only a concern if it is present in motile sperm that could potentially fertilize an egg.

Finally, I would like to know what model of lap-top was tested and if multiple models were tested.

Overall this looks like a poorly designed study aimed at creating sensational headlines. Mission accomplished.

Take the advice at the end of the article. If you're spending too much time on your lap top, chances are that lack of exercise and/or poor diet (ie lifestyle) will have a much more profound effect on your fertility than the radiation coming from the interwebz conection.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
In short, all this proves is that putting a cup of sperm under your laptop will kill it more quickly. As long as you aren't trying to make a baby with a sweet flat screen for a face, this proves absolutely nothing in real life situations.

Science!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Well, I'm admittedly an interwebs addict. And with that, I've spent a hundred lifetimes next to my wifi powered devices.

Recently, (3 months ago) my partner and I decided we wanted to create our own little person, I seem to have hit the bull's eye on the first try.

Do I think wifi has had an effect on my sperm count? Honestly, no.

Then again, I am half hispanic so who knows... ?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Okay, but even if you abstain, there are Wi-Fi signals EVERYWHERE. See where I'm going with this?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This is not a legitimate scientific experiment, its barely above anecdotal with a sample size of only 29 people. If the number was 1000 or more then it might be worth actually considering, but as it stands this is not reliable data in the least. Right now this 'study' ranks up there with the stories of people getting sick from wifi...

new topics

top topics

join