It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding The History and Purpose of FOX News

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

Plenty of examples in this thread? Do some research. Five minutes on google and youtube. Search fox news lies. Easy enough.

I could also google "Obama is a reptilian" and find supporting evidence of that on YouTube as well. Does that make it true?

I could also find videos supporting "CNN lies", or any other news organization lies. Perhaps you missed the one where CNN pretended to be on location but was really on a soundstage? It's a classic!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I scanned the articles.. but the site is biased much like fox news. I preferred to watch the videos and make my own opinion.

I intentionally chose a site biased to the left, which I pointed out in the post with the links, to avoid any "Yeah, well they're just on Fox's side!!!" nonsense. Which you still choose to try and pull.

I personally don't watch any mainstream news channels, but I have seen enough to know that there are none like Fox news.

If you don't watch any, how do you know? Because it fits with your view so it must be correct?

Obviously you are right leaning and want to justify FNC the best you can because it paints a lot of conservatives in a bad light, what you aren't getting is that I am neither right nor left.

Yes, because pointing out hypocrisy and that both sides are guilty obviously makes me right leaning. Couldn't possibly be because I'm sitting here shaking my head at people who point fingers at one side while ignoring the other. Nope, that couldn't be it.

You can't disprove it because it's fact and there for everyone to see.

Never tried to disprove anything aside from the disingenuous assertion that Fox is the only news channel whose hosts berate their guests, which I've done. Feel free to point out where I said that Fox was completely innocent. I have time, I'll wait.

Do you have some sort of personal investment?

Tactics like that may work with others on this site, but you're not luring me into a battle to prove myself innocent of whatever you wish to fling at me. I think this is typically the spot where I'm supposed to accuse you of working for MSNBC or CNN in a bid to defend myself, right? I never have really bothered playing this game, so I don't know.

The bottom line is, I showed you what you said didn't exist and instead of being adult enough to admit that examples from MSNBC and CNN are out there, you choose to deflect and ignore what was placed directly in front of you. That in itself says it all. Fox isn't the least bit free of blame, but both sides use similar tactics. You and others just choose to ignore it when it doesn't come from Fox.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
GeorgiaGirl and Jenna,

I'm sure glad I'm on your side! You two rock!

I sure wish I could give you more stars!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Here's my input on this: All of the mainstream media is controlled by mega-corporations, pushes propaganda, and has an agenda. They all manipulate public opinion, and they're all extremely good at it. That being said, Fox News is definitely the most obvious, and they definitely do it to the highest degree.

I'm not trying to defend CNN, ABC, or any other news outlets, because they're all a part of the problem, and they're all guilty of the same things. However to me it's not even debateable that Fox News most severely pushes propaganda to suit an agenda.

They all do it, Fox just does it the most.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

If you understand that they all do it, then it would seem to me that the logical thing to do would be to point fingers at all of them instead of singling out one network while ignoring the actions of the others. Each network has made false statements they've later had to retract. Each has made up a story where one didn't exist or twisted reality and created their own version of the story. Each has staff who berate guests. The only difference I see is that people only pay attention when the network they dislike does it, while ignoring the rest. It is hypocritical and dishonest to bash Fox for something while ignoring the fact that they aren't the only one. The only conclusion one can come to about the whole situation is that Fox gets all the blame because they make no effort to hide that they are far more right-wing with their commentators than the rest. Everyone else just pretends they aren't biased.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
... it's part of the US-American system, two parties are so much easier to steer than having a third or even a fourth party in politics. This basic concept pervades your culture, just look around.

Well said. It is difficult to acknowledge, recognize, internalize, and comprehend the options regarding thinking "outside the box" when the populace is subjugated to linear thinking. When applying linear thinking to any subject it altogether dismisses the possibility that the box even exists.

I highly doubt martial law would be simultaneously announced to hundreds of millions of people via the main stream media. Doing that would be diametrically opposed and totally contrast to what martial law's objectives are.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

I don't concur that your example shows them lying.

So then Sean Hannity was telling the truth when he said "I'm sure the annointed one will make sure that happens", and that it is President Obama's policies that are going to make everyones' taxes go up significantly?

I reject your example.

Exactly.

Here is a list of 21 more lies FOX "News" never bothered to correct on air

edit on 29-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Jenna, again you are making this out to be about bias - who cares whether MSNBC has a left-wing bias compared to FOX and it's right-wing bias? This is much more than about bias, it's about the outright LIES told by FOX. People can see through bias, but when bias comes equipped with phony stories and misleading headlines, it's no longer bias but propaganda.

If a right-wing bias network like FOX chooses not to cover a certain topic, for example a Republican scandal (did you know FOX never covered the Republican Libby Scooter trial?), then that's their call. No foul there. If, however, they cover the topic but instead replace "Republican" with "Democrat" and mislead their viewers into believing it's a Democrat scandal, then that is a LIE and exactly what FOX has been doing. Show me where MSNBC has committed the sort of egregious lies that FOX has.

You need to watch "Outfoxed" - it features several FOX newscasters and how the network is designed to work - with the agenda set from Roger Ailes, FOX executive John Moody, working in close liaison with Republican strategists Karl Rove and the GOP.

A huge number of points and examples are made on this page:
THE CASE AGAINST FOX

If you want to claim "Well, they all do it..." then I challenge you to provide a list this comprehensive of any other network that crosses the line this far. FOX doesn't just have bias, it lies right in your face.

“Larry Johnson, a former part-time Fox commentator…[said] Moody missives were ‘talking points instructing us what the themes are supposed to be, and God help you if you stray.’” (Washington Post, 7/11/04)

Again, visit this link and tell me what any thinking person should make of all these examples of not just extreme political bias, but outright LIES, by FOX 'News'.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

You aren't making any points.
Did I say no other television station has lied before? Or currently does?
No I said Fox news lies. You cannot find proof that Obama is a reptile, you can find video's dumb people claim are evidence. If you search Fox News lies you can find a lie that Fox as created and then find the proof that it is a lie.
You aren't stupid, you know better you just wanted to argue. You don't realize it I bet, but bringing in the Obama reptile non sequitor is exactly the kind of disinfo tactic they use at Fox. You know that it is completely irrelevant, but you bring it in as a strawman argument.

Get real or get out.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I'm not pointing fingers at one side. I am discussing the topic at hand.
The fact that you would argue something that is proven fact is laughable.
I watch the news from time to time for entertainment not for news.

No point in talking anymore, maybe one day you will learn. I won't be the one wasting my time on you though.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Fox news does it more than the others. Did you not read what he said?
And Fox rarely retracts. They even reposted and Onion story and never issued a retraction.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Jenna, again you are making this out to be about bias

If you honestly believe that was the point behind any of my posts then you need to read them again. I haven't been talking about bias, I've been pointing out the blatant hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty required to point fingers at one network while ignoring similar behavior by the rest. I haven't been claiming Fox never lies, I provided proof that Fox isn't the only network with commentators who berate their guests. (And now I'm having deja vu... Could've sworn I pointed that out in my last post.) In fact I've repeatedly stated that Fox is not innocent. If the only thing you have is "Yeah, well Fox lies!!" I have to ask if you've ever bothered to fact check every other network or if Fox is getting special attention. I suspect the latter.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Fox news does lie.
Go find us some lies from the other network please.
Lies, not mistakes with retractions. You haven't added one to the thread to back up your claims.
I wasn't even arguing about other networks not lying. Now I am.
Also, why are you defending Fox news lying? Please tell me.

If you thought that both Fox and other networks both lied, why would you care about fingers being pointed at only one? Why not just say they all lie and leave it at that? No you come in and defend Fox news. Clearly it bothers you that people are pointing out that they lie. What is your angle? If you recognize that they both lie why are you trying to take the thread off topic with the others rather than just saying "yeah they do lie, so do others." Makes it look like you have an agenda. Do you think that Fox news doesn't lie?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
reply to post by ILikeStars

Your post is total and utter bullcrap!

Just because Fox News is different, and does't follow the same rules of "journalism" as CNN, doesn't mean they are fabricating one damn thing.

I am going to keep this short and sweet, so that you liberals and understand. Here is your VERY OWN CBS NEWS INTERVIEW WITH THE PRESIDENT WHO SAYS HE WILL JAIL ANYONE NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH HIS HEALTHCARE PLAN.

Seriously, don't you watch FOX "News"?

FOX "News" said that no one on FOX "News" ever said there would be jail time for those who refused to buy health insurance.....

Again: give me an example of a specific lie told by Fox.

(feel free to fast forward to the 1:50 mark and listen to Bill O'Reilly LIE when he says NO ONE on FOX "News" ever said people would go to jail if they did not buy health insurance)

Have a nice week,
ILikeStars

edit on 29-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: added stuff.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Makes it look like you have an agenda.

As if you don't have one... Give me a break!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

What's mine?
I am just being honest. I agreed that all news networks have their biases and etc, but none like Fox news and none lie like Fox news. It's not an agenda it's the truth.

You give me a break.
Nice input BTW. All of you defending Fox have no arguments you just ask for evidence and ignore it when you get it or say stuff like "give me a break." I can see why you defend it, you all sound like you learned how to debate from Fox News school of unintelligent argument.
edit on 29-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

These people blow my mind.
Don't follow the same rules of journalism! LOL
There is no journalism at Fox news. They have never broken a story, made up a few, but never broken one.
They are just pundits parading as news, misleading fools.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

FOX "News" purposefully and deliberately misinforms people. period.

Give me one example. People keep saying this, but no examples have been forthcoming.

Originally posted by Jenna I've been pointing out the blatant hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty required to point fingers at one network while ignoring similar behavior by the rest.

I count more than 40 examples of such behavior on FOX "News" here in this thread so far.

What I don't see is 40 examples of such behavior from CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, BBC, and Al-Jezeera English combined. ... And am I missing any other news organizations?

Provide as many examples of this behavior from other news organizations, please. Because I don't see them....

Courtesy of YouTube search functions....

Search results for "FOX news lies" = About 51,500 results

Search results for "BBC news lies" = About 13,800 results

Search results for "CNN news lies" = About 5,130 results

Search results for ABC news lies" = About 2,190 results

Search results for "MSNBC news lies" = About 1,570 results

Search results for "CBS news lies" = About 1,330 results

Search results for "NBC news lies" = About 1,210 results

Search results for "Al-Jezeera news lies" = About 406 results.

Youtube Search Function

There are more than twice as many videos about FOX "News" lying on YouTube than there are BBC, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, CBS, and NBC COMBINED

YouTube search function for FOX News lies videos = About 51,500 results.

YouTube search function for ALL other news lies videos combined = About 25,230 results.

I'm off to play some Skyrim for awhile....

edit on 29-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: cuz i dun edited somethin

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

edit on 11/29/2011 by Sunsetspawn because: Didn't read ahead

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

You're the one who made the claim to me that they fought for the right to tell lies.

Yes I am. I made that claim because it is true. Are you calling it into question or just being diversionary?

I also saw that claim made on the other pages. But no one specifed WHAT they are lying about. THAT is what I want someone to show.

I am not sure what your malfunction is. They fought for the right to lie. It was not about a specific lie. What the hell are you asking?

That sounds like spin to me. MANY headlines are spun to show a particular point of view.

Does not matter. FOX fought for and WON the right to LIE and call it news. This is documented.

What I am asking you is this:
WHAT LIE did they want to tell?

You are asking the wrong question. They did not go to court to fight for the right to tell one specific lie. They just wanted the right to be able to lie and call it news. They won that right. How about you look into the court case for yourself and get educated instead of defending them and asking stupid questions?

I belileve the burden of proof is on you.

The proof of that court case has already been presented for you but here it is again.
HEREYAGO!

Appellate Court Rules Media Can Legally Lie.
By Mike Gaddy. Published Feb. 28, 2003
On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a television broadcast.

It was a big court case and they won on appeal. Now tell me it never happened.

You say they lie. They went to court to be able to fight for their right to tell lies. Explain to me: WHAT LIES???

Are you really this dense? The court case was not about specific lies. It was about the right to lie. How do you not get this?

NOTE: Why do you need to resort to saying things like I can't "understand English"? That is rude, and doesn't help the discussion at all.
edit on 29-11-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

Because it seems that you do not understand English. Knowing that is the case would have helped me use smaller words. I am not sure what is insulting to you about the possibility of having a foreign native tongue. Is it insulting that people speak other languages?

EDIT: The only thing I see on the first page that MIGHT be examples of "lies" are the video clips. I'm on a computer right now that does not allow me to watch You Tube videos. So, since none of the videos have any explanations, I can't see them. Perhaps if some notes had been beneath each video, I would know the content.

I have a feeling your request is going to be answered more than you like and you will have excuses and dismissals for all of them, but no real explanations.

Secondly, I do see that they made some errors (poll numbers) and mislabeling R and D. Do you honestly think the other news networks don't make mistakes?

Deliberately missing the point? Show me all the time CNN switched the R for a D when a R got caught. Make your case instead of asking me if it is possible you have one.

Look, when Obama says dumb things (like when he said he was visiting 57 states during the last election) I don't think it is because he is stupid or because he is secretly a Muslim (or anything other reason that has been attributed to him). I think he made a MISTAKE! We have go to stop using these mistakes as ammunition. BOTH parties do it. It's ridiculous.

Right, simple mistakes are not lies. You are right. Fortunately what FOX does is deliberately lie.

Sometimes a mistake is....a MISTAKE! Or maybe...OBAMA is a liar! He tried to get us to believe there were 57 states!!!!! Nope, I'll go with mistake.
edit on 29-11-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

You are purposely being obtuse now.
edit on 29-11-2011 by TamaraChristine because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join