It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding The History and Purpose of FOX News

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The documentary "outfoxed" does a good job of explaining some of the many things that are wrong with Fox News. There are literally memos sent out that tell people how to spin certain stories, what terms to use, and so on.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I have never seen a show on those other stations with people that actually belittle and argue with their guests.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Here is an article covering Lawrence O'Donnell going after Cain (complete with video) written by someone who states unequivocally that they like O'Donnell and don't like Cain. (To prevent claims of bias by the author)

Or how about Chris Matthews calling Rep. Rick Murphy a "b.s. artist" for not supporting a national ID card . Murphy is a republican, for those who didn't know. Same site as the last link, complete with video. Cut to around the 4:00 minute mark if you want to get straight to the point.

How about Nancy Grace of CNN mocking a guest lawyers stutter when she doesn't agree with them? This guy isn't even a politician, just an attorney she has on as a guest, and she mocks him because she doesn't like his answer.

Point being, both sides do it. Neither side is the model of perfection and manners when it comes to how they treat guests on their shows, nor is it helpful to pretend that Fox is the only guilty party.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

This is the kind of generalization that is infuriating.

It's not a generalization. It is factual information supported by statistical data concerning FOX "News" targetted demographic, and a direct correlation to their ratings, and who they pander their bombastic hokum to.

Everyone who watches Fox news must be too stupid to know better. That is typical liberal thought, unfortunately.

I didn't say that FOX "News" viewers were stupid, the facts did. Google national average IQ's. See what is legally considered "legally impaired" and what is considered "genius range" IQs. Do your own homework and back up your claims with facts, not just opinion.

Also, do not assume I am a liberal.

My husband and I watch Fox news, as do my parents and to be frank, most people I know. Perhaps Fox is popular because it mirrors American values better than the competition.

I'm an American who values integrity, honesty, and being truthful. I do not assign high value to those who deliberatly lie, and demonstrate repeatedly a lack of journalistic integrity.

What competition? FOX "News" has higher ratings than that their two closest comptetitors combined. As for FOX reflecting American values, I don't think this is the case. FOX presents only selected and filtered information, and purposefully broadcasts false information and lies. FOX "News" also incorporates wartime psyops tactics that as far as I know should be illegal. It is possible to make people believe things they normally would not believe. Peoples' intentions, opinions, priorities, perceptions, actions and behaviors can all be manipulated.

Both my husband and I have doctorate degrees. I am a member of Mensa. I am not saying this to brag, but to show that you are incorrect in your assumption that only those with low IQs could possibly buy into Fox's conservative thought.

Hi genius,
Please feel free to quote me where I said only those with low IQs could possibly buy into Fox's conservative thought narrative.

I do not agree with you politically, but it does NOT make me mentally inferior. Your superior attitude toward anyone who disagrees with you is something you should try to overcome.

What superior attitude?

By the way, I don't think I'm superior to you...but neither should you continue to come across as feeling superior to everyone else.

Being informed is necessary in order to make any informed decisions.
FOX "News" purposefully and deliberately misinforms people. period.

No, I'm not a proponent of floccinaucinihilipipification, but in FOX "News" case I may be leaning in that direction.

I personally believe FOX "News" has been the single most detrimental driving force for the GOP.

In all the years FOX "News" has been on TV, can anyone tell me one major story they have "broken" before anyone else?

Thanks & have a good week,
ILikeStars

edit on 29-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: Typo & add stuff.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

In none of those examples did I see a purposely distorted or fabricated headline or news report. Nancy Grace isn't even a political analysis, she focuses on criminal cases like missing/abducted children.

That's the big difference between FOX and all these other media outlets. FOX fabricates headlines - it uses distortions and even fake videos and claims they are real. It invents it claims to be reporting on.

I still remember the day CNN went on the air, and was immediately labeled "McNews" because they weren't a real journalist news team - just a nationally broadcasted talking head reading headlines from a teleprompter. You can go straight to the AP wire for those headlines. Then they expanded a bit by placing live reporters in hotspots like Operation Desert Storm (and got caught faking being on the front lines), but even so, their was minimal bias. It was (and still is) McNews. The on-air version of USA Today. If you wanted REAL news, you needed actual investigative journalists, like you got from Washington Post, NY Times and even CBS News (back in the day). Investigative journalism is all but dead.

Back in the '50's you didn't have anyone screaming "liberal media bias" because the media was an extension of it's corporate ownership. They towed the establishment view and never strayed far from what the government wanted portrayed. It wasn't until the late 60's you saw that break down when the media began defying the government established views - especially during the Nixon era. It's when news organizations were becoming of it's corporate ownership and able to cover more than just the corporate/government establishment view that the first charges of 'liberal bias' came into being. It was liberal bias to cover an unpopular war in Viet Nam, and liberal bias to report on government corruption, the liberal bias of Woodward and Bernstein that led them to be put on the establishment's "enemies list".

Keep in mind it's from the Nixon administration that Roger Ailes hails from, when he conceived of the idea to spoon-feed news crafted by his GOP directly to the media - FOX 'News' is just the culmination of that plan, the GOP crafts the "news" to be broadcast by their own media outlet. It's not just 'biased' - it's a lie factory. MSNBC is biased, no doubt, but they've never gone to the lengths FOX has in fabricating stories, using fake or heavily edited video, or constantly building a negative narrative around Democrats. I mean, you can't run a headline like this and expect to be taken seriously:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

reply to post by ILikeStars

Those weren't bad until the second video when he ruined it with that 666 non sense.
Everything else was right on though.

I'd like to say I didn't buy into all of what was on those videos, but most of it I could relate to and see.

I'm not sure I agree with that 666 nonsense either, to be honest.

But, thanks for taking the time to watch those none the less,
ILikeStars

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I don't watch enough Chris Mathews to comment on him, but I sure can relate to what you mean when talking about Nancy Grace's broadcasting tactics. I don't care much for her at all, either.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Your post is total and utter bullcrap!

And that is where I quit reading.

Have a nice week,
ILikeStars

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Give me one example. People keep saying this, but no examples have been forthcoming.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Lol.. thanks for proving my point. Did you even watch the videos you posted?
Lawrence asks him a question and then lets him answer it thoroughly without interrupting, without belitting, no SHUT UPS or insults. Nothing like Fox news.

I rarely see Matthews flip on guests, but I can't watch a 9 min video right now. I will scope it and comment later.

I hate Nancy Grace with a passion. I didn't know she was an anchor on CNN, but I have never seen her talk about politics. Just bad mouth moms and exploit missing kids on HLN. I don't think I would count her.

I have to say though.. in the face of FOX news where you actually probably can't find a nice interview with someone they disagree with and they are openly biased and have an agenda. Sorry try again. There is nothing on TV like fox news. It is not news. It is propaganda in it's rawest form.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Go back and read what I was responding to. I made it simple by only quoting what was relevant. Specifically, this:

I have never seen a show on those other stations with people that actually belittle and argue with their guests.

In response to that I listed several instances from a five minute Google search. It happens all the time by both sides, but people only have a cow if it's Fox. If someone on MSNBC or CNN does it, they look the other way and pretend it doesn't exist. I can only speculate as to why, but my suspicions are that it makes it easier to bash Fox if you don't have to admit that your favorite news channel is guilty of the same thing.

As for Nancy Grace, I don't watch any news aside from local weather. I use to, but gave it up about the same time I took a break from here. All I know is their names and a rough idea of which channel they're on. I get all my info from various websites and parse together the truth as best I can from multiple sources. Including her in my previous post doesn't invalidate my point that both sides are guilty seeing as how she's a commentator who is on CNN who mocked a guest simply because she disagreed with him. It's childish at best, and downright cruel if he has lived with a stutter his entire life.

I find it odd you condemn Fox for using distortions and faking videos, only to later state in reference to CNN:

Then they expanded a bit by placing live reporters in hotspots like Operation Desert Storm (and got caught faking being on the front lines), but even so, their was minimal bias.

Faking videos and distortion, but you blow it off as minimal bias while anything done by Fox must be shouted from the mountains so that all will know of their evilness. It's hypocrisy plain and simple, and my only goal with this and my other post was to point it out. If you want to continue blaming Fox while giving CNN and MSNBC some slack, it's your choice. I can show you, but I can't make you see.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

Plenty of examples in this thread? Do some research. Five minutes on google and youtube. Search fox news lies. Easy enough.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yes I did watch the video's and I was frankly appalled by the way O'Donnell went after Cain for not participating in the Civil Rights Movement when he was an 18 year old kid whose father cautioned him against making a martyr of himself. Did you even bother reading the articles or did you just assume that it's impossible for any of what I posted to be true? My money is on the latter. Had anyone questioned Obama like that they would have been fired. Since Cain is a republican, it's apparently fine with the left. It's quite frankly repulsive. That you have no issues with it says quite a bit.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Your post is total and utter bullcrap!

Just because Fox News is different, and does't follow the same rules of "journalism" as CNN, doesn't mean they are fabricating one damn thing.

I am going to keep this short and sweet, so that you liberals and understand. Here is your VERY OWN CBS NEWS INTERVIEW WITH THE PRESIDENT WHO SAYS HE WILL JAIL ANYONE NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH HIS HEALTHCARE PLAN.

This is in DIRECT contradiction in what you post, saying that Glenn Beck lies.

What the hell is wrong with you people? You now ignore facts to support your liberal agenda?

I am really sick and tired of Fox news being attacked.

I would like to give you a big internet hug.

People keep saying over and over again that Fox news lies. I've never seen an example of a deliberate lie. No one has given a legitimate example (sorry---honest mistakes don't count--because mistakes are NOT only made by Fox news). Critics can only repeat the concept that Fox news fabricates the news and then fall back on the personal attacks of our intelligence.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I scanned the articles.. but the site is biased much like fox news. I preferred to watch the videos and make my own opinion.

If you want to buy into it that is fine. I personally don't watch any mainstream news channels, but I have seen enough to know that there are none like Fox news. If you can't see that you are in denial and only kidding yourself. Obviously you are right leaning and want to justify FNC the best you can because it paints a lot of conservatives in a bad light, what you aren't getting is that I am neither right nor left. I am giving an unbiased opinion based only on what I have observed. I don't know why you want to defend Fox. That is your prerogative, but anyone can see for themselves that it is a channel that lies, has a clear agenda, and produces propaganda. That's it. There is nothing more to be said. You can't disprove it because it's fact and there for everyone to see. There will only be more examples so it's a losing battle. They aren't going to straighten up and start telling only the facts anytime soon. Why do you want to defend them? Do you have some sort of personal investment?
edit on 29-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
FOX News is #1 in cable news because people got tired of being lied to and only receiving the liberal side of things.

Say what you want but ratings don't lie.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I am going to keep this short and sweet, so that you liberals and understand. Here is your VERY OWN CBS NEWS INTERVIEW WITH THE PRESIDENT WHO SAYS HE WILL JAIL ANYONE NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH HIS HEALTHCARE PLAN.

This is in DIRECT contradiction in what you post, saying that Glenn Beck lies.

What the hell is wrong with you people? You now ignore facts to support your liberal agenda?

I am really sick and tired of Fox news being attacked.

LINK

Read much? Here is the FIRST SENTENCE from the article that THE LINK YOU PROVIDED says:

From Sunlen Miller: During an exclusive interview with ABC News’ Jake Tapper today, President Obama said that penalties are appropriate for people who try to “free ride” the health care system but stopped short of endorsing the threat of jail time for those who refuse to pay a fine for not having insurance.
The link phantomjack supplied ATSers with to PROVE that President Obama endorsed jail time for those who refused to pay for health insurance

So, essentially the evidence you offer in opposition to the claims that Glen Beck lied actually supports the fact that Glenn Beck lied.

Thank you for your support phantomjack,
and a star for helping me out,
ILikeStars

edit on 29-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: fix a bb code typo.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I've never seen an example of a deliberate lie.

☞ FOX "News" Sean Hannity is a liar ☜

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Give me one example. People keep saying this, but no examples have been forthcoming.

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I'm posting this link in this thread, as well as it being in my signature, too...

edit on 29-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: smiles

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

It's not a generalization. It is factual information supported by statistical data concerning FOX "News" targetted demographic, and a direct correlation to their ratings, and who they pander their bombastic hokum to.

Your "factual data" is that Fox targets mainstream America, and your argument is that since the average IQ of the US is closer to 70 than 140, their demographic is those with lesser intelligence? That makes no sense as a justification for your position.

Actually, let me give YOU a lesson in IQ: when you look at the bell curve showing IQ distribution, 100 is exactly in the middle, as 100 is the average IQ measurement. When you move in either direction along the curve from 100, intelligence changes related to the distance from 100. Yes, 70 is closer to 100 than 140 is. However, 130 is often recognized as the beginning of the gifted range, so technically, they are equally "targeting" people who are on both sides of 100 (because 70 and 130 are equidistant from 100). So therefore, I have no idea how you could conceivably generalize from that that Fox targets the lower intelligence demographic because they target the "Average" American.

Hi genius,
Please feel free to quote me where I said only those with low IQs could possibly buy into Fox's conservative thought narrative.

What superior attitude?

Uh....THAT one.

Though I am a member of Mensa, I told you that I was not trying to brag about that. I only mentioned it because you kept talking about IQ and people who like Fox news. I believe it was arrogant of YOU to address me "hi, genius."

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I'm posting this link in this thread, as well as it being in my signature, too...

edit on 29-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: smiles

I don't concur that your example shows them lying.

Obama was talking about the Bush tax cuts expiring, and how everyone's taxes were going to go up. As soon as Obama started talking, in the first part of the clip (the "lie" part...as claimed by the YouTube video poster) I knew what he was talking about, as I am informed about what is happening. When Hannity made the comment after that clip, I don't think he was "lying" about it.

The second clip of the president, which purports to be the "whole story", includes a few seconds before the first clip, including the context which mentioned "the previous administration", making it sound like the Bush administration had PERSONALLY decided to raise America's taxes. In my opinion, the SECOND clip, the one that is supposed to be "accurate", actually misinforms more than the FIRST one. In actuality, Obama did NOT want to extend the Bush tax cuts (even though he ended up having to because of political pressure.) The Bush administration DID want to make the tax cuts permanent, but congress set the expiration deadline, NOT the Bush administration. So when Obama says "the previous administration", HE is misleading America into thinking that the Bush administration planned some sort of tax increase. That is definitely not the whole story, now is it?

How can you seriously think that BOTH sides don't try to spin things the way they want people to perceive them? Obama was trying to spin it one way, but Hannity didn't let him.

I reject your example.
edit on 29-11-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: punctuation

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join